Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yes, they need shoe trees. Shoe trees aren't just for helping to minimize creases. Minimizing creases is an incidental effect of a healthier shoe due to the fact that the shoe isn't able to bow upwards when it is drying after being worn. Moisture, especially salty moisture (think sweat), is detrimental to long term leather health, so absorbing the moisture into the cedar is best for the leather. This is actually even more true on an unlined shoe, where the same leather touching your feet on the inside is also the leather that is taking a beating on the outside.

2. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Quote:The shoe tree will still help with the leather sole. Maybe get a smaller sized tree if it is difficult to get in the shoe.

3. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

I bought these a while back ($129 sale on BB Seconds) and I never wore the PAs as I was saving them for more special occasions since I already have Fifth Aves and PAs in Merlot. As I was shining them, I noticed that the stitching is off on the toe cap of one shoe. I'm far beyond return period, so that's not an option. Questions: 1) how noticeable do you think it is in all honesty. I'm not fishing, so if it is noticeable, please say so; 2) is this something a cobbler can fix?; and 3) Would it be something AE fixes during recrafting or am I best served just buying[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] another pair when the time comes?

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

FWIW, I tend to criticize my shoes more than others. It isn't a big deal IMO. Would it bother me, sure but not enough to ditch them.

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

You could always buy another pair from the Shoebank, see which is in better condition, then return the pair you don't want.

In all honesty no one except yourself will ever recognize the flaw, you have to decide if you can live with it or not.

6. MoneyWellSpent

If they haven't been worn outdoors to scuff up the soles, then they shouldn't be beyond a return period. They don't assign dates to their return policy that I have ever seen. That looks like stitching from the inseam that is visible on the outside of the shoe. It would probably be fixed during re-crafting, but I certainly wouldn't send it to just any cobbler (except perhaps B. Nelson), as it requires complete removal of the sole and welt, and a restitching of the welt to the shoe upper (above the current stitch hole) to fix it and hide the needle perforations. If they re-stitch the welt below the existing holes, then you will have some empty needle perforations on the leather toe that will be visible in the future. If they re-stitch above it, they will have to re-last the shoe (which only AE can do properly) and pull the leather down tighter so that they have extra leather to stitch to. In the end, it is up to you as to whether it is a big deal, but I would think you could return them if you want to.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

So far I have two AE shoes in my rotation. One black fifth avenue and one brown Kenilworth. What should my next pair be? Should I buy another pair in black so I can rotate them or another brown pair?

How many pairs of shoes should a man have if he's wearing dress shoes Monday to Friday?

Thanks!

8. ScottyBoy920

Is there really a difference?

9. Flokk

Flokk Active Member

Banchory and McTavish seconds arrived. Surprised at how unstructured the Banchories are in person, lots of creasing and the shoe bank shipped them with trees probably for a reason. Wax McTavish are excellent, just some light creasing, slight broguing imperfections, and a small dusky spot which should buff out (and not bothered it if doesn't). Best fitting AE so far for my 13 3E feet, looks killer with dark jeans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MoneyWellSpent

Most of what is needed to give a good response to this question isn't known by us... your work environment, formality of the office, profession type, style, etc. Based on what you have, and what you have said, I'd go with a third color that is still highly versatile to keep your wardrobe interesting. Perhaps something in burgundy or chili. As for how many pairs a man should have if you are wearing dress shoes every day of the week, I'd say a third pair is nearly a must, and ideally you would have up to 4 or 5 pairs before you settle in. After that you can spend more time looking at shoes that are just fun to have and add character to your wardrobe.

11. ScottyBoy920

How formal is your office/workplace that you need two pair of black shoes?

I would recommend a walnut, burgundy, or chili; give your wardrobe a little pop! I personally own 8 pair, 5 of which are AEs.

12. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

walnut strand, cordovan dalton, cordovan dundee.

13. MoneyWellSpent

The LaSalle has markedly courser stitching than the Delray, so it is more casual. Also, the LaSalle has a foam cushioned insole, so it is a notch down on the quality totem pole. The average joe would never see the difference, however. So if you have reasons for buying the LaSalle instead of the Delray, you are still quite safe.

14. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

Bummer, I wanted to buy some shoes from the tent sale, but they don't have the Strand, PA, and El Paso in 10 E.

15. MoneyWellSpent

You did have to pay for the shoe trees, right? [​IMG] If not, I'd better start buying my shoes from the same place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.