Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Itzaina

Brian Itzaina Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Anyone have any insight on dressing down?
    I am looking at purchasing a pair of players in walnut for daily summer wear.
    What is the most casual dress without looking foolish for a shoe like these?

I typically wear blue jeans and a dark t shirt or light weight button up for putting around town.
    I have a few pairs of nice boots, White's SD and Wolverine Addison's and would like something lighter and more casual to wear as in the photo.

thanks,
    Brian

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I live in NYC and I cover at least 3 miles/day. When it's light rain, I wear calf shoes, and prefer black since water stains don't really show that much. On heavier rainy days, I wear country boots or regular footwear with overshoes (I use cheap Tingleys and not even the fancy SWIMS). When it's REALLY bad, I bust out my Wellies. I keep at least a couple pairs of shoes at my offices and overshoes cost $20-$25 at random shoe repair shops if I really need to grab a pair quickly.

For snow that sticks or ankle deep, I wear Wellies or my country boots treated with Snow Seal. Tried Snow Seal for the first time this past winter and they're excellent! Rain is fine, but the salt can really damage leather even if they're treated well so I'm more mindful after the streets/sidewalks have been salted.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I wear LWBs or shortwings all the time with jeans. The only style I don't typically "dress down" are balmorals; however, once in a while, I'll change it up for the heck of it.

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes it will. I was glad to see you pass on the Benton's, I know a lot of people like them but I very seldom wear mine because they seem a bit short and blunt on my feet. And believe me I am not a big fan of the "sleek" look many on here seem to like. I feel you have done well in your selection.
    On question 1 I would and always go double soles with shell. As to #2 I wonder the same and will throw in a shortwing blucher's also.
    Outstanding job and picture as always Patrick!

5. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

Thanks for the feedback, Cold Iron, and thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you had a great weekend, and it's good to know that these boots can handle just about anything I would ever put them through. The first time I bump them into a door or knock them into my office chair, instead of panicking about it I'll think of your 3 days walking through grass and muddy fields.

Thanks for letting me know the color name, as I wasn't sure where these fit in the color spectrum. None of my shell samples matched the 744 perfectly, yet there are portions of the walnut, cappuccino, and brown that are similar. I think the variations and ability to look both light and dark, depending on the lighting and angle, is what makes this such an interesting color. This was a bit of an impulse purchase as I already had two pair of Wolverine Krause boots. But I was drawn in by the shell and the color, many thanks to your photos.

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

It does take time to get there. With AE shell it can take awhile on some shoes. I was without cell phone reception for much of the weekend and end of last week so it was hard to reply banging out on a cell phone, especially when it dropped connection half way through typing. But the Mac method part is the most important part in my experience. How I do it doesn't mean it is right but it usually works for me. I try to mirror how Uncle Mac does his. So use a damp rag (not wet) and wipe the shoe down. Brush for ~5 minutes. When brushing the brush never leaves the shoe, like Uncle Mac says it is all in the wrist. There is a lot of truth to that... After about 5 minutes brushing I switch to a microfiber towel and buff with it for another 5 minutes. Where your shoes are now I will repeat several times but have found that for what ever reason it is best to give them and your wrist a break in between brushing. Some shoes you only have to do this a few times and they are good to go. Others can be a struggle but over time and with enough brushing and buffing you can get there. The good thing is once you get the high depth shine it only takes a few minutes to get them back to that point. Every once in awhile an application of Reno helps too. It may even help yours at this point it is hard to tell without actually seeing them but it will not hurt them. Reno is actually a very strong stripper, right up there with Renomat. What it does is help level the polish on the shoes and even it out. Because you are going to be wearing yours in uniform the black polish will help protect them from the rain that they eventually be exposed to. I did the same to my black shell PA and they survived the snow and winter in Mn. just fine. But you don't want to much polish on shell even black shell if you can help it. Hope that helps and if any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.
    IMO you pretty much nailed it dead nuts tsekh. Some AE shoes come with a boat load of cream on them, you will never get a good shine until you get rid of the cream. On my burgundy shell Leeds it took several years of brushing with the Mac method to get the cream off. After enough years they started turning brown which in a way is the patina goal, but Seven gave high marks to the Saphir cordovan cream so I tried the cordovan cordovan colored on them and will not be going back to AE cordovan cream any time in the future. But I don't want to use it unless I have to because I don't want to hide any highlights that are under the base color so only use it on a few shoes. In addition there are only a few colors and I don't want to change the color on any of my shell. I think you would be fine using the Saphir brown cordovan cream on your Dundee's. I have a jar of Saphir brown cordovan cream and when I get time will be using it on my AE brown shell Dundee's, Patriots and Leeds. I haven't used the Saphir cordovan cream on my burgundy Dundee's because I am afraid of covering up too much of the burnishing.

[​IMG]
    It took a LOT of brushing and Reno to get to this point, hours. They were a muddy mess out of the box as soon as I hit them with a damp rag. The cream was so thick you could see brush marks in it when I started. I use Reno instead of VC, one advantage it has is that it is a pretty decent stripper. But Renomat will shorten the strip time. I only use one pass of it in the beginning when new if needed then switch to Reno. It will not hurt shell, don't let it sit. I don't even let it sit on calf or 15 min. like the directions say because it would be soaked into the leather and dry so pretty much worthless by then.

I have a pair of Alden Ravello chukkas that all my AE shell now can match in shine. However I have a pair of #8 Alden boots that only a few of my AE shell can match, but it comes close like you said maybe 90% and a few at 100%. The Alden finish has a higher gloss and I think it is because they use wax instead of cream. And the final finish can make a difference too. But I don't mind the work to try and get there, I can be stubborn to a fault but it takes patience too. Some of my AE shell shoes only take a few times of the Mac method out of the box and shine well, more than 50% of them and that helps keep me coming back for more.

7. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Got a call from Debbie today - my shell Sheltons and MacNeils are on their way! On an interesting note, they put golf cleats on my shark Sheltons. No one is exactly sure why. They are putting the correct soles on them, but apparently there is a heel cushion in golf shoes that they cannot get rid of. I'm excited to see if they fit anways, as there is no more material left.

8. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Thanks for the reply Cold Iron. With my AE Shell PA, the AE cordovan cream did a pretty good job in covering up a small part of the shoe where the texture of the leather is not 100% smooth. It also helped conditioned and restore a deep but natural black color to the captoe of my PA after stripping with Reno. Since then all I used is mac method and venetian shoe creme occasionally and it is very easy to keep a good shine on it. I'm sure Saphir cordovan cream will also work very well.

I agree that the trick to keep a natural looking shine on cordovan shoes is to use the minimal amount of polish on it. The amount of cream used in this official AE video is wayyyy too much

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Nice! Post some pics when they arrive.

What shell did you choose for your Shelton? I am close to finalizing mine

10. polojock615

Walnut & Cappuccino

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

That should look incredible. I can't wait to see them. Reverse split welt or flat welt?

12. SoHoJoejoe

SoHoJoejoe Well-Known Member

Interesting, I just picked these up last month and after a few wears I have the same exact bubble creases in the same locations.

13. polojock615

flat.

14. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

I wish it was acceptable to wear bluchers and shorts. Having finally outgrown sneakers, Im stuck with boat shoes and driving loafers and Ive never been big on penny loafers. I may just have to bite the bullet regardless...

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I never wear dress shoes GOING or leaving work. I live in the suburbs and work downtown, in the summer I wear my Nike frees which I also work out in from the main station downtown Toronto to my work which is about a 10 minute walk.

In winter I wear LL bean boots from train to work. I don't care how silly it looks that I'm wearing running shoes while in dress pants going to work, this is how I prolong the life of my AE's.

Come to think of it, I very rarely wear my AE's outside of work unless it's a formal event to which my shoes won't get trashed.

I wear terrible looking but comfortable shoes if it's called for say at a bar or lounge etc where no one looks at your shoes

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.