Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Gorgeous!!!

That burgundy looks nothing like the sample I have here from AE

2. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I was going to ask about the colour on the leeds, I'm tempted to get my first shell shoes in that model but that looks much more reddish than I'd hoped for (but still absolutely awesome).

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

AE has a new shade of burgundy that's more like Alden's color 8. Mine are the old shade.

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Unfortuntaely, he sample I have from AE looks nothing like your pic or Alden's #8. It is very, very dark and borders on looking more brown than burgundy.

5. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

What is the official word on getting shoes recrafted that were bought at Nordstrom Rack? I'm looking at a pair of suede longwings right now, don't recall the name.

6. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Red & White Neumoks today. Only their second time out. 6 weeks ago today I ordered my MTO walnut shell Macneils. Fingers crossed I see them soon.

[​IMG]

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

They're Allen Edmonds, and I've never seen any markings on the shoes to indicate they would be handled differently at AE.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

What a great score, congrats!! Those look awesome it should only take a time or two with the Mac method to make them shine, although they are not bad out of the box. It is ALWAYS boot season IMO :) I just came back home after wearing mine for 4 days straight in NW Wi. We had 33 people from an upland hunting site get together and ran dogs and shot 2 flats of shells in 3 days in sporting clays. 3 of us are retired Navy and when the Cdr. saw me he asked what time I got up in the morning to shine my boots. After a couple of days walking through wet grass, mud and getting rained on they are now pretty dull.
    [​IMG]
    But they always come back to life with just a little brushing. One guy from Michigan asked me about them and when I said they were Wolverine's he said no way, he sees Wolverine's every day at work. Like the Red Wing Beckman's they are not truly work boots with steel toes like most lines in those brands but more of a semi-dress boot. And I absolutely love mine, hope you do yours too.

As to the color AE and Wolverine call it mahogany. Pretty sure it is Horween Dark Cognac, mine are close to my Townley's in color but not quite, the Townley's are closer matching to my other AE brown shell. But they are very close to my C&J for RL Marlow's which when they first came out with them were listed as Dark Cognac. I also really like the color and am always looking for more shell in dark cognac. Like most of my other shell that is brown but not AE dark brown I only use Reno on them and no wax or cream on them, just Mac method. Enjoy your new boots and wear in good health!

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Beautiful shoes!

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

They will recraft any of their shoes that are considered "recraftable" (anything Goodyear-welted, the Italian shoes, and a few select others) without regard for where you bought them. Essentially, they don't recraft cemented shoes or shoes made in the Dominican Republic as part of their AE for Allen Edmonds line.

They have no way of knowing where you bought your shoes for the most part. They don't require a reciept or proof of purchase for the shoes when you send them in for recrafting. The only ID you need is for the insole to say Allen Edmonds on it. The person who checks them in won't have a clue if you bought them at an outlet, from Ebay, from a friend, a yard sale, a thrift store, from Nordstrom Rack, new/used, or anything else. They have no way of even knowing if you are the first owner of the shoes, and they don't care. They will know if they are seconds due to the branding on the sole, but that has little implication for where or what condition you bought them in.

11. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Still working on getting my Leeds to shine. Here is the progress:

Brand new out of box:

[​IMG]

After stripping 1x with saphir renomat and 2x with renovateur and brushing over 1 hour:

[​IMG]

2 light coats of saphir cordovan creme and 2 light coats of paste wax and a ton of brushing and then buffing:

[​IMG]

No pop yet. I wonder what I'm doing wrong- any thoughts?

12. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I know with shell you try to get the natural luster of the leather to show, but all the stripping just does not seem good. With my shell I just brush and wipe with damp cloth now and then, cream or wax sparingly

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

13. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

How tightly do you guys lace your chukkas and boots? I'm still new to the boot game and can't seem to find comfort with my ankles being locked up in the same angle all day. Tips?

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Tighter than slippers, but not as tight as ski boots. It's not rocket science; lace them so that they are comfortable to walk in. My ankles are far from locked in my chukka boots.

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Apparently I've become that guy to my friends and family. This from my kid brother today:

I'm so proud. :nodding:

Now to craft an epistle regarding cedar shoe trees, Venetian Shoe Cream, and the benefits of a goodyear welt....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.