Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

That Sanford looks truly gorgeous. Is that really brown? It has a bit of red on my screen. As for the sole, I think getting a the JR double oak sole is an excellent idea. I have a shell penny loafer with a single sole and I'm not a big fan of it. The shell Patriot on the other hand has the double sole- and it has held up excellently. I have done things with this shoe that I shouldn't have done (hiking up a mountain for example) and the sole looks like it has barely worn in.
    As for the colour, I think brown on brown looks great.

2. Sam3L

Sam3L Active Member

Those Sanfords definitely look amazing. I wore my brown Johnston and Murphy wingtip lug sole shoes for the first time today because it was lightly raining (got a great deal, thought I'd take a shot for some adverse weather shoes). The toe scuffed from just bumping into each other while putting on, and I don't think polish will fix them! I regret buying them and not getting AE! I own several AE shoes and the scuffs are hidden or completely removed with little to no effort.

3. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Anyone wants to share your experience of how to treat or polish a brand new pair of AE shell cordovan shoes?

I have a pair of black shell Park Avenue that was bought more than a year ago, and also another two pairs of Alden shell cordovan shoes. To me, the biggest advantage of Alden's shell shoes over AE shell shoes is that Alden's typically arrive in nearly perfectly polished condition. All I need to do is Mac Method them regularly - wipe down with a slightly damp cloth, and then brush them hard - to keep them nice. I had to do a lot of work on the PA to make it shine as nice as the Alden. In the end, I used renomat to remove all products on it, after which I applied some Venetian shoe creme to it, and some AE cordovan polish to area that still look dry even after a lot of brushing. From then on I just applied Mac Method on the PA regular and now it looks 85-90% as nice as the Alden.

This week I bought a brand new pair of dark brown shell Dundee from AE. I was excited to see them polished really nicely out of the box and thought to myself - is this the "new finish" on cordovan shoes that they introduced last year? But as soon as I tried to wipe it down a large chunk of polish came off onto my piece of cloth -- which was slightly damp only with water, not renomat -- and they looked really dull after the wipe down. So I ended up doing what I did to my PA, renomat -> venetian -> a lot of brushing, except this time I have not applied any cordovan creme yet. I didn't have any AE dark brown cordovan creme with me, and instead this time I wanted to give Saphir a try and ordered their dark brown cordovan creme.

4. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Here is a link to the TOPY website. I have TOPYS put on my shoes that have leather soles. Here in Los Angeles, it usually costs around $40.00, which is one more reason (besides the Poiron insoles) that I prefer the AE for Brook Brothers versions of AE shoes. At least AE has been offering more options on soles recently.

http://www.topy.fr/en/Home

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I would never use renomat on cordovan. I use the Mac method for general maintenance, and an occasional light application of Saphir Cordovan Cream to keep things moisturized.

6. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

My Leeds arrived last week caked in polish. I stripped with some Renomat 1x and renovateur 2x that Cold Iron sent to me. After getting the polish of (no more gray on my rag) I wiped with wet cloth and then brushed 1 shoe for about an hour. No shine, just a dull black with gray showing in spots.

Then I applied 1 coat of black cordovan cream (from C.I.) and brushed after 30 min, waited 1 more day and then applied another coat and brushed. The next day I applied 2 coats of paste wax (yes, that too) and brushed for 10 min. Then I polished the shit out of them with a cotton flannel shine rag.

Not where I want them yet, but I think black takes a lot of time. I would be spit shining with Kiwi if Cold Iron hadn't hooked me up.

Here is Cold Iron's shine method- I'm sure he won't mind me sharing:

1. Use Renomat on a microfiber cloth to strip the cream off them. Only do this once and use a clean section of cloth and rub hard working small sections at a time. Move finger to a clean section of cloth when you apply more Renomat. Once that shoe is done wipe with wet rag.
    2. Start brushing right away once you wipe the shoe off. Brush until dry, no shine yet.
    3. Immediately use same process with renovateur. Wipe with wet cloth and brush dry.
    Keep going with renovateur until the microfiber cloth it is clean and no more black comes off. Once the cloth is clean wipe with a DAMP cloth and brush until they shine.
    1. Then apply a thin coat of the Saphir cordovan cream. Then brush it out after letting it sit for only a minute or two. Then let them dry over night or longer.
    2. Then using the good old fashioned spit shine use the black paste wax and only very THIN coats of wax apply 2 or 3 coats of wax. Take your time and let them sit a day or two between coats it seems to help. Buff with the microfiber cloths and you will really bring out a shine. You don't want so much wax on them that you transfer it to the cloth.
    3. After wearing them I wipe with a damp cloth and brush them for several minutes until the shine comes out. Then buff with the microfiber cloth for a few more minutes.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I am tired after just reading this.

I will shoot myself before brushing one shoe for a whole hour. :D

8. AmericanGent

My right arm is now significantly larger than my left.

9. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

10. rootskier

rootskier Active Member

Thanks. Thanks to Mac for the method, too. Those shoes have never seen anything but a damp rag, a brush, and very occasionally an application of Renovateur. I don't understand all of this Renomat and stripping business, frankly.

About the color, I am almost positive they were labelled "dark brown." There is a hint of red in there, but I also have burgundy shell Macneils and they are an entirely different color.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

11. AmericanGent

Giggidy!

12. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

Is a brush required? I am not interested in getting a bright shine on my shoes I only want them to stay supple and protected. I planned on using the microfiber cloths from Amazon and the conditioner/clearner from AE. Is there anything else that is consider 'key' for preserving the condition of your shoes?

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I like having the brush, shoe trees are essential

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

A little shell shoe care this evening. The cigar PTB's have yet to see any product, just the brush. The burgundy AE's were in need of some Renovateur. It was fully dark by the time I finished so I had to break out the flash. I shot the flash straight up (with nothing to bounce off) and I was surprised at how well the image came out given the late hour.

Macneil and Leeds are about a year old and the cigar PTB just a couple of weeks old.

[​IMG]

15. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Those look fantastic. I always thought cigar was lighter; those look amazingly deep, dark, and rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.