Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Living in Toronto, Canada, I am envious of San Francisco weather. It rarely ever rains here and there isn't a need to deal with snow, either. However, it does get cold enough where jackets can come in handy- but not too cold.

During the winter, I keep my Allen Edmonds within the safe confines of my closet. I rarely bring them out, knowing that it may snow, hail or rain. I do have a few pairs that have rubber soles on the bottom and I can confidently wear them on days where the weather will not be coming down. Otherwise, boots and throwaway top-grain/corrected grain shoes with glued-on rubber soles come in handy.

2. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

It was the one thing about the limited selection of the orthotic line that I was very happy about. They all have nice rubber soles which is perfect for the kind of weather I deal with in California and the environment I work in (all tiled floors that get mopped everyday while I am working/walking on them)

3. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Very light coat of cordovan cream polish.

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

When it is actually snowing, I usually wear something crappy on my walk to work. I have a pair of Cole Haan boots that I can tuck my pants into. I also have a pair of Islays, but my main concern isn't the snow, but the salt. I am not sure I want to expose them to this. Otherwise, when it isn't actually snowing, the streets are usually pretty clear.

As for gas, you just have to live in NJ. Then you never have to pump your own gas again. It is truly a great thing.

5. haci79

haci79 Member

I am planning to get an MTO shell LWB and need suggestions on which model to go with. I found the Williams too sleek with denim and the MacNeil a bit short and cluttered in the front half. Allison at Allen Edmonds suggested going with Aberdeen as a good compromise, and said they can use the same sole as MacNeil, whatever welt I choose, and not put the metal rings on the eyelets. What do you guys think? Since the standard Aberdeen is made with such a casual/rugged leather and sole I am having a hard time picturing it. I do like the proportions and general shape.
    For reference, my only other LWB is the Alden for Epaulet Natural CXL one on the Leydon last and while I love those and like Leydon a lot more than the Barrie last, I sometimes think it would be even better if it were sleeker in the front.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

6. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Yeah, but then ya have to live in New Jersey...

7. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

For my Torontonians fellow SFers...
    I just visited the Harry Rosen outlet in Mississauga and scored a pair of Lasalle firsts for 164 dollars taxes included.
    Good selections in all sizes.
    Max

8. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I do like the idea of dress boots for the winter, if only I could find a robust material without looking utilitarian. How does cordovan hold up to snow/salt?

Oh we have plenty of full service gas stations, but I'm as particular about my car as I am about other things in my life. I go out of my way to avoid the hung over teenagers clumsily thrusting with the filler neck like a virgin on their first sexual encounter.

The more I consider the winter shoe situation in more detail, the more I reach the conclusion the solution is more shoes. That and maybe some decent overshoes if I can find anything suitable that will fit size 15 (custom swimms?)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

9. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Find a nice cobbler to topy the leather soles, use some Alden Leather defender, or none of the above.

Short of wading through water or fields of snow, good quality leather is resilient. Damage control after getting wet is important, wipe down with damp cloth to remove salt residue, stuff in wads of newspaper into the shoe to absorb moisture, turn the shoe on its side to leave the sole exposed to the air to let dry, tree them shortly, condition and re-polish.

That's just the abbreviated version, please refer to the shoe care thread for more in-depth discussion.

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Although not having to pump your gas can be a perk, I am not too fond if it. You are at the mercy of the attendants and if you need to get somewhere in a hurry they can truly cause issues. Plus I find it rediculous when I hear people don't know how to pump gas... Really?!

11. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

Just ordered a pair of Chili Park Ave's!

12. delmar

delmar Senior member

I wear AE shoes, rain or shine. I don't worry about the soles--or the uppers either--AE shoes are built to take it. One thing that I don't do is I don't wear cordovan shoes in bad weather, I only wear them on dry sunny days, when they get rained on they are left with water spots that take a long time to fade away. And boots. I wear boots all year around, just like I wear shoes all year around. Boots aren't just for wintertime.

13. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Hey guys, a question: anyone from the Greater Vancouver area on this thread? BCer and I are, but anyone else? Thinking of organizing an informal 'meetup' to just have a few drinks, maybe dinner, and chat about AE, etc. Please PM me if you're interested - was thinking about sometime this summer.
    cheers!

J

14. Sam3L

Sam3L Active Member

I don't have your confidence. I hate rubber soles, but if there's over a 50% chance of rain, I'll think about. And if it's already raining, there's no way I'd subject my AE's to them when I have other, cheaper options in my closet. (Like dusting off my Johnston and Murphy's that never see the light of day anymore.)

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Have over shoes fallen out of favor?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.