• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
So I just picked up a pair of Fifth Streets and was a bit miffed to find some major manufacturing defects in the right boot -- specifically, one of the top eyelets is only half-inserted and there's a funny crease in the leather on the side, as though the shoe was put together a bit wonky. I'd ordered them from the AE website, since I couldn't be bothered to go downtown, but now I'm wondering whether I should email or call their main CS or just take the shoes down to the Boston store. Anybody have experience with their Boston store / would their stores exchange something bought on their website?

There's two stores in Boston - one on State St and one on Newbury. There's also a store at the Natick Mall if you happen to live out that way. I've mainly dealt with the State St store and they are very helpful; specifically James. I can't speak for online orders but I had a pair that was shipped to me from an order I placed at the Natick store and he exchanged them for me. I can't imagine why they wouldn't do the same for an online order. Call 'em up...

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I'd trust the comments on sizing on this thread significantly more than any of the reviews on the AE site. I do not have anything from the rough collection, but I've heard it oft repeated that they tend to run a little larger than their calfskin counterparts on the 5 last.

I can confirm that my Elgins (rough collection) run slightly larger than my McAllisters - both on the 5 last.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone on here use a thin insole to take up a bit of extra volume on any of their shoes? if so, which brand do you use?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the heck is that Anniversary Sale!?
Typically some time in July or August, don't remember. They put a few models on sale (usually only in one color) for about $200 or $205 or something like that. The black Park Avenue, was included last year. It is usually a decent selection of the more popular shoes and colors.

One word of caution, last year there was some debate about whether or not Nordstrom was selling unmarked seconds as firsts during the sale.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
anyone on here use a thin insole to take up a bit of extra volume on any of their shoes? if so, which brand do you use?

One of my pairs of shoes (non-AE) fits a bit loose, I went with Pedag insoles sold on Amazon. It's about 3mm thick and provides a bit of support, but I got them only to fill out the shoe a slight bit more. If you require more volume I'd try their other lines. AE sells leather insoles on the website. Superfeet sells some if you need a specific type of support.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I thought I would post this in case others find it helpful...

I have a few full toe AE cedar shoe trees and a few combination cedar trees from FootFitter. I was using the AE full toe trees in my McAllisters but noticed that they didn't quite go deep enough into the toes as I'd have liked. For the heck of it I threw the combo trees in there and the filled out the toe much better. You can clearly see why when you look at them side-by-side. The combo tree is a bit more narrow and longer much like the shape of the 5 last. So, I ended up leaving the FF combo trees in my McAllisters and put the AE full toe-ers in my Sheltons which have a much wider profile. I will admit that the combo trees don't fill out the width of the McAllisters as much as I'd like but I was beginning to get some creasing in the toe and for me this seems to hit that area and will hopefully keep them at bay.

There's my earth-shattering tid bit before I call it a night. Good evening, gentlemen...

AdamAdam

Reaction score

What about tongue pads? One of my pair of AE are slightly large in one foot because it's smaller than my other and someone here suggested tongue pads in the shoe on the smaller foot. It sounds like a good idea but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

shartmann

Reaction score

What about tongue pads? One of my pair of AE are slightly large in one foot because it's smaller than my other and someone here suggested tongue pads in the shoe on the smaller foot. It sounds like a good idea but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I think I was the one that suggested that recently. Sounded like AdamAdam and I had a similar situation where our right foot is slightly smaller than the left foot. I've tried both insoles and tongue pads and prefer using a tongue pad. The insole raised my heel up slightly, but enough to notice that the top edge of the shoe was in a different place on the back of my heel, which felt odd. The tongue pad fills in the gap from the top so the fit feels the same to me, and I'm able to use the cork footbed which I find comfortable.

robby

Reaction score
Does anybody have photos of the brown/red Finch that they can post, preferably while worn?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Tacco insoles. The only ones I've seen/used are made of leather. I don't know if they make some of other materials. They are made in Germany. I figure those Germans are anal and sticklers and wouldn't put out an inferior product.

ayoungs

Reaction score
Long time lurker, seldom poster. I very much enjoy the thread! I'll share the beginning of my MTO story. I wanted to introduce my brother to AE, so I decided I'd take Paul up on his MTO offer, since my brother wears a 16EEE. Many thanks to Paul for this wonderful offer!
I was "blown away" by the great customer service, since I wanted to surprise my brother, they're going to send him Samples in 16EEE, to ensure a good fit, then he can pick out what he wants. I'm getting them for my brothers birthday. The customer service rep Allison was very accommodating, she'll even set me up with a factory tour. I also took the shot at getting a custom pair of Winter Park's (I've been admiring them and want a super comfort shoe) in Merlot made up for me, that I'll pick up when I'm at the factory. It'll be about 8 weeks, and I'll let people know how it all worked out, and take some pics of mine, and my brothers shoes/boots.

frogwash

Reaction score

Finally my Factory seconds Chilli LaSalle came today. Other than one scratch outside, issues are only inside, so I am happy. Enjoy the pictures. I tried to capture the true color since the ones in AE site is orange in color but failed miserably. It's really hard to capture the color of chilli. I feel the pain of the photographer AE used lol.
Those are really nice. I, too, regret not partaking of this opportunity.

frogwash

Reaction score

I thought I would post this in case others find it helpful...

I have a few full toe AE cedar shoe trees and a few combination cedar trees from FootFitter. I was using the AE full toe trees in my McAllisters but noticed that they didn't quite go deep enough into the toes as I'd have liked. For the heck of it I threw the combo trees in there and the filled out the toe much better. You can clearly see why when you look at them side-by-side. The combo tree is a bit more narrow and longer much like the shape of the 5 last. So, I ended up leaving the FF combo trees in my McAllisters and put the AE full toe-ers in my Sheltons which have a much wider profile. I will admit that the combo trees don't fill out the width of the McAllisters as much as I'd like but I was beginning to get some creasing in the toe and for me this seems to hit that area and will hopefully keep them at bay.

There's my earth-shattering tid bit before I call it a night. Good evening, gentlemen...

So far, I only have the AE full toe shoe trees and they seem to fill the toe area pretty well, either all the way in or at the most, there's no more than 1/4" from the very tip, even in my 5-last shoes/boots. It appears from the above post, that the combo-trees are somewhat slimmer and can fill narrow shoes deeper. Then again, being slimmer, wouldn't they fill the sidewalls less?

Overall, what are the main advantages/disadvantages to full vs combo? I could still use at least half dozen sets and while I like the full AE trees, the NR Woodlore Combos for half the price is somewhat appealing. Is it worth twice as much for the AE's?

tampatravel

Reaction score

So far, I only have the AE full toe shoe trees and they seem to fill the toe area pretty well, either all the way in or at the most, there's no more than 1/4" from the very tip, even in my 5-last shoes/boots. It appears from the above post, that the combo-trees are somewhat slimmer and can fill narrow shoes deeper. Then again, being slimmer, wouldn't they fill the sidewalls less?

Overall, what are the main advantages/disadvantages to full vs combo? I could still use at least half dozen sets and while I like the full AE trees, the NR Woodlore Combos for half the price is somewhat appealing. Is it worth twice as much for the AE's?

If you look closely on the Woodlore box, it states Woodlore, is an Allen Edmonds Company. I have a $9.90 pair in my $650 Cordovan Townley's if that helps you make up your mind :)

Septimus

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that almost ALL cedar shoe trees that are made in America are Woodlore (i.e. AE). At least all the commonly-found ones are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads