Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Sorry for the confusion, that conversation is about Toronto Brooks Brothers stores.

2. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Speaking of Toronto; has anyone found a decent belt that matches the Chili colour? I'm wearing my Chili Lasalles again today and the brown belt I picked out is much darker (and it's bothering me).

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think this is about perspective too. For an American shoe, the 5 last is sleek, but compared to a European shoe, not so much. I think they are definitely sleeker than most Aldens.
    I actually like the contrast between the suede and the sole/welt.
    That would only take of the sole edge not the welt though right?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yep 9097= burgundy shell. They patina to a nice dark brown. Nice find!

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I also went 1/2 size down on my neumoks. Not for my 5th aves. I don't know why. Also, I'm talking about the unlined leather neumoks. Not the suede ones.

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Those look fantastique! Take notes AE: this is how pix should look on your site.

7. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I should have clarified, mine are suede Neumoks. This said, I would imagine both suede and leather have the same fit, although obviously suede is more pliable.

8. ESElrond

ESElrond Member

I don't have any experience using the "travel size" edge dressing applicators from AE, but the foam applicator on the full-size bottles is shaped in such a way that it is fairly easy to apply the dressing to the welt and the heel/sole edge, at least for shoes with a split reverse welt.

The shape of the welt provides an inside corner that helps guide the angled tip of the applicator, and you can get good coverage against both "faces" of the welt. I've personally done this without difficulty for a number of pairs with split reverse welts (mostly, applying natural dressing to new pairs of shoes with a natural-colored edge and welt).

Over-coloring a natural-colored edge & welt shouldn't be too tough; just have a dry cloth to remove any excess as you go, and apply thin coats until you reach the desired tone.

I imagine you'd have a lot more trouble trying to do this with shoes that have a regular welt, though. Were that the case, you'd probably have to mask off the upper with tape, or apply the dressing with something different than the built-in applicator (maybe a Q-tip?), to ensure you don't get edge dressing onto the upper.

9. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

[​IMG]

Burgundy McAllisters with AE socks

10. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Very nice, picked up a few pairs of their colorful socks on Tuesday, I like them pretty well so far

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Great looking shoes!

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It is not unheard of to see a small scrape in the leather near the welt from the saw blade that is used to remove the protective shrink wrap from the shoe leaves a small mark. Those look like they could be from that. They would certainly be considered "defects", and if your shoes are seconds, then that is one of the reasons. The problem definitely isn't from a last that doesn't fit you. Pain from wearing them would set in and keep you from being able to wear them way before your could cause damage to the shoe upper.

13. facet

facet Senior member

I agree, when compared to the bluntly styled shoes that the average man wears, the 5 last looks quite sleek in comparison. I once had my friend's wife describe my PAs as "dainty".

14. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Yup, my first couple of pairs as well; took advantage of the sale. No complaints so far either

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You could always go with the AE chili belt if you don't mind mail ordering. It is a bit wide for a dress belt, though maybe you are looking for something slightly more casual for the LaSalle. A more refined version would be the Crockett and Jones chestnut dress belt, though I assume that would not be available locally for you either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.