1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

LE have this 25% off promotion going on for regularly priced merchandise + free shipping.

The condition is as below:

Save 25% on regularly-priced Lands’ End merchandise purchases online, by phone or with this email in store (excludes Buy More and Save pricing, monogramming, gift boxing, gift cards, shipping, taxes, duties, Lands’ End Business Outfitters purchases, and excluded items as marked). Discount will be applied at checkout. Online and phone orders also receive Free Shipping to U.S. and Canadian addresses. 5-7 business day delivery to most addresses. This offer not redeemable for cash. Cash value 1/20¢. Applies only to merchandise purchased from landsend.com, landsendcanvas.com, Lands’ End Shop at Sears, Lands’ End Inlets and Lands’ End consumer catalogs. Promotional savings may be deducted from returns. Offer valid through 11:59 p.m. Central, February 28, 2012. ​

When I tried to check out using the promo code, the discount did not get applied.

:fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If you look on the page for the Macneils, there is this bullet:

Please note: Promotion Code Savings not valid on this item.

3. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

This happens on all my AE shoes. Happened on my "Bates" in the military as well but not nearly as much as my AE shoes.

Yes it is only cosmetic, but there is still some little creasing caused on the inner portions on the leather that would otherwise not be there.

Is it a show-stopper? No - but I would rather it not be there...

4. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Didn't really think it was my foot causing this...but maybe being a bit flat-footed is contributing to the bulge I get.

It really gets pronounced when hell striking the inner bulge is huge then!

5. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Being flat footed absolutely causes it. I am 100% flat footed - no hint of an arch. I can't wear certain styles because they bow out in a just silly way.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

And how, my congratulations to the SF members who fit well in the #5 last. I'm road testing my 2nd pair of Nordstrom PAs. Not bad so far, but if my luck doesn't improve, the Nordstrom Rack will overflow with my cast offs.

I noticed a gap even when wearing shoes that were too small (tight in the heel and instep albeit a smaller gap). I am flat footed, but the gap remains the same whether or not I use an arch support. I also noticed a similar gap when trying on oxfords from that other American shoe company.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Quote:
    I have flat feet but wear orthotics so I fill the volume of the shoe. I own 2 leeds (shell and calf), 2 Wilberts, Shelton, and the Bayfield & Dalton boots, all on the 1-511 last and none of them have bowing issues. The shell Bradley's that I received last week are bowing badly. I talked to CS today and am sending them back to try again. I've spent a lot of time researching this and it does seem to be a common issue especially lately with AE shoes. Seems to come up most often with the Bradley's and Strand. But others as well. If the Bradley's weren't shell I might accept them as is. However the more I look at it the more it bothers me. My heel also slips a lot more in the Bradley's than my others on the same last. Well except for my shell Dalton boots, the heel area in those is huge.

Retired military and my Bates never bowed, I have a low volume foot in addition to being flat. Back then I couldn't wear orthotics but got narrow shoes and boots when ever I could. I have been told by several doctors I have some of the flattest feet they have ever seen. There is an active thread on AAAC where someone has the same bowing issue and he thinks it is because he has high arches. So I'm not convinced that it is foot anatomy in every case. Some have tried the same model shoe on in the AE store and not had bowing. So there is some variation somewhere.

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I agree with you 100%. You can look at the shoes when not being worn and tell which pairs will do it especially bad. I strongly suspect that it's related to how the shoes are lasted.

9. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

One other possible cause could be the low cut rear quarter of the shoe. I held up a Delray (8 last) next to my Alden Aberdeen NST and from the base of the heel to the top of the leather you can see that the Alden is higher by about 1/4 inch or so. It seems to narrow the throat a bit and maybe that helps as my Alden's don't do it.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I tried my PAs without the arch supports allowing my heel to sit a little lower. My heel fits much better. Actually the whole shoe fits better, but my low arch gets pinched a little by the edge of the insole. Using a lock lace pattern doesn't seem to make a difference. But I think you're on to something.

11. Mazderati

Mazderati Well-Known Member

Feet are clearly different from one person to the next, and there is variance in construction from one shoe to the next, but I think the shankless construction of AE shoes is likely the primary source of their willingness to flex and bend at the heel.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  12. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Agree to an extent - has to be a combo of the shoe and the foot.

At least I am not crazy because others with flat feet are experiencing the same bulge with the same style shoe AEs.

I have noticed that the tighter I make the shoe at the ankle (even lock lacing) minimizes the bulge. Unfortunately the shoes are not as comfortable then and get hot quickly - leading to sweating more and overall just on my mind rather than just being there complimenting the rest of the wardrobe.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I didn't see a difference between lock lacing, low lock lacing, and bar lacing. Of course that may just be me. I did notice a better fit without the arch insert (my feet are almost perfectly flat). I ordered Pedag stick on arches (no heel cup) to see if I can get the arch support without elevating the heel. Good luck to all the flat foots; I am rooting for you.

14. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

What's the consensus on the fit of the new 3 last? If I do 11B in most of the shoes, would an 11B be way too narrow for me? They don't have C...

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Damn! AE is hitting it out of the park lately. New Finch model is up and this color combo was an insta-kop for me.

[​IMG]

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Totally agree. I think it's a combination of how you walk (how hard you strike your heel), foot anatomy, the specific last and how AE constructs their shoes. I get minor flexing and bowing in my AE's and have never experienced that with any other shoe and never been told that I have flat feet or anything else anatomically wrong.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

18. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Wow, very nice. I saw the Independence Collection in person a couple weeks ago, though the Rutledge was not out yet. I'd encourage anyone interested in these to see them in person, as the leather is different than used in their regular line of shoes, and the colors seem to have a different effect in person than online. I was a big fan of black, but not of the walnut, on shoes I saw.

19. ymmt

ymmt Well-Known Member

I have the same exact problem with the shell strands. Extreme bowing at the top line. I posted on it a few months back. I ended up returning them for good after 4 exchanges.

20. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.