• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am trying to nail down my sizing in the Leeds and have a question. I recently received a pair of burgundy shells seconds in a D width and they felt a bit cramped in the toe box. I ordered a pair of E's to try which fit pretty well, but a bit loose in the heel. It is a fine line with me...
Anyway I noticed that the burgundy Leeds have the black insoles and the black E width ones the white insoles. So my question is, have there been any recent styling changes to the Leeds or will this older D width fit the same? Part of the reason I ask is that the styling of the show looks quite different for the only difference being one width

tietherope

Reaction score

I'm not positive about the sales, I do read that the prices are more expensive here. I just signed up for their email list and next sale I'm going to drop into their downtown location to find out for myself. Worst case scenario I try things on and then order online and ship to my Brother in the US.

I called a location. If there is a sale in the U.S. for X% off, it will also apply to Canadian stores. Of course prices are different though.

I also asked for the price of the burgundy calf skin dress belt and it is $148 here while it's $128 in the U.S.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm jealous that you could fit your foot with the 2 last. And in shell! I love the Norwich, but I can't find a size that fits.

It's an EE size.

I couldn't fit in the regular, and had to order the EE width to get a decent fit.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for posting this, I thought maybe I was the only one. I have a pair of Clifton seconds I picked up about 4-5 months ago, and they too have a very soft heel, in which rocks indeed become embedded. Frustrating, as I have 9 pr of AE yet this has never happened to me before. Very odd, guess i'll see about cost to replace heels locally. J

I didn't really go anywhere particularly rocky, just walking across a parking lot.

It's just the right shoe. The left shoe walked all the same places, and no rocks. The rubber on the left shoe seems normal hardness. Rubber on the right shoe super soft.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Snuff suede Neumoks today.

posted this in the suede thread but figured I'd get a faster response here. I read on the AE website that the the Neumoks run a half a size smaller than the regular shoes in this last such as the fifth avenue, park avenue and strands..

Can you guys shed some light as I'm gonna pick these guys up for casual wear

BARNFARM

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Park Avenues back in February and while polishing them a while back I noticed that the leather at the bottom of the right heel looks like it's splitting apart down by the sole

I guess I kind of ignored it for a while (probably stupidly), but I noticed a similar issue on the left heel last week when I was polishing them again:

Is this a quality issue or maybe a matter of buying a shoe made from a last that doesn't quite fit my foot right or something? Is it worth worrying about and potentially trying to get them exchanged? I noticed it after about 6 weeks of wearing them twice a week. Kind of seems like it shouldn't be happening.

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score

I didn't really go anywhere particularly rocky, just walking across a parking lot.

It's just the right shoe. The left shoe walked all the same places, and no rocks. The rubber on the left shoe seems normal hardness. Rubber on the right shoe super soft.

Contact AE, I bet it is a defect and they will take care of you. The heel rubber on my shoes are all pretty tough.

PK35216

Reaction score
I generally lean in this direction as well. I think that the closed lacing alone can't be the main driving force in the decision. I look at formality as a spectrum, not as black and white. There are many casual balmorals on the market (many nice ones by AE) that are obviously intended for jeans/chinos. I tend to approach the concept more from a scoring system perspective, sort of like a "pro/con" list if you will. Call formal a "pro" and casual a "con" just to use arbitrary terminology. In other words, know the "rules" for each component of the shoe and whether it is considered a formal or a casual component to see if your overall score ends up in the formal or casual side of the spectrum. Some will fall in the middle, making them versatile for being dressed up or down.

I know many here disagree and feel that balmorals are strictly formal, and that the casual balmorals are simply enigmas that have no place. That's totally fine. Personally, I like the way a shoe that is made of casual leathers can be dressed up with traditionally formal shoe construction to make it appropriate for business casual environments. I think that is one of the main purposes of AE's Rough Collection. I don't think their sole intention with the Rough Collection was for weekends with jeans. I'm not as fond of some of the newer Rough offerings, but the members of the original collection (McTavish, Elgin, Finch, Stewart) all fit this bill very well and look fantastic on a casual friday with chinos and a button up or everyday if that is your style and work environment. The traditional dress shoes with heavy broguing in casual colors can fit into the same niche. Another thing is that people almost always ask if the shoes go with a particular pair of pants rather than the entire ensemble. It is much more helpful to consider the entire ensemble. Walnut McAllisters with jeans and a polo? No thanks. Walnut McAllisters with Jeans and a nice button up, casual tie and sport coat? Sure!

+1 and well said.

bucksfan

Reaction score

I picked up a pair of Park Avenues back in February and while polishing them a while back I noticed that the leather at the bottom of the right heel looks like it's splitting apart down by the sole I guess I kind of ignored it for a while (probably stupidly), but I noticed a similar issue on the left heel last week when I was polishing them again: Is this a quality issue or maybe a matter of buying a shoe made from a last that doesn't quite fit my foot right or something? Is it worth worrying about and potentially trying to get them exchanged? I noticed it after about 6 weeks of wearing them twice a week. Kind of seems like it shouldn't be happening.
It looks like its an issue during manufacture. Not sure it will ever affect the longevity of the shoe, though.

bucksfan

Reaction score

I am trying to nail down my sizing in the Leeds and have a question. I recently received a pair of burgundy shells seconds in a D width and they felt a bit cramped in the toe box. I ordered a pair of E's to try which fit pretty well, but a bit loose in the heel. It is a fine line with me...
Anyway I noticed that the burgundy Leeds have the black insoles and the black E width ones the white insoles. So my question is, have there been any recent styling changes to the Leeds or will this older D width fit the same? Part of the reason I ask is that the styling of the show looks quite different for the only difference being one width

Nice shoes! There have been No changes to the last they use, just a change they made a couple years ago to the insole. Originally they went to a black insole because they had complaints that the tan insoles showed how pld and sweaty they were after some time. The, there was backlash to that change and they went back to tan... this all happened 2-3 years ago if i remember correctly. I have shoes with black insoles and others with the tan insoles. No difference in fit in my experience.

It sounds like you may be between sizes. Try the d width 1/2 size up and the e width 1/2 size down. Alternatively, wear thicker socks with the e width shoes you have.

bucksfan

Reaction score

My first ever pair of monkstraps

(shell cordovan)

Nice! I tried to get a pair of those about a year ago. Couldn't get the right size dialed in. Those really look great!

Subutai

Reaction score
It's an EE size.

I couldn't fit in the regular, and had to order the EE width to get a decent fit.

Great to know, thanks
Did you get it special order? I tried it in E's and EEE's but didn't find an EE option.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone let me know what page of this thread the Allen Edmonds CEO gave his e-mail out on . Thanks.

gtvisa2002

Reaction score
Question about the upcoming tent sale (www.aetentsale.com).

Does it work like the sale a few weeks ago where you can email any location and get a list/order? Or are they sticking to the 3 methods listed on the website?

To add, did they give what models will be included and what %?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads