• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to look at it from an overall aesthetic. The tight lacing of the balmoral lends itself to a sleeker look, and the strand is on one of the sleeker AE lasts. With fitted jeans, it would be a coherent aesthetic. With looser pants, a more filled out shoe would be called for, like the aforementioned bluchers.

What AE shoe(s) do you guys see as compatible with fully casual dress? Lets say fitted dark denim, and some sort of untucked shirt up top (button, polo, or even a fitted T shirt). Assuming all pieces are of good quality and proper fit, what are AE shoes that I can rock without resorting to penny loafers or boat shoes?

You've been drinking the Kool-Aid. I love my Strands, but they are not sleek. Nor is the 5 last particularly sleek, which is why its detractors often call it blobby. I find my Strands work really well in that dress casual niche of slacks and a sport coat or slacks and a dress shirt. I have sleeker balmorals, which look great with a suit and out of place in a more casual ensemble. Part of the beauty of the Strand is its versatility due to its brogueing and last that is not too sleek or too blobby.

Jeans and a casual shirt, I could see any of the following:

Calfskin or suede Malverns
Shell Dundee's
Shell or calf loafer
Dalton or a similar AE boot.
Shell longwing blucher
Shell shortwing blucher (Ralph Lauren Marlow or something similar)

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
++1 for daltons and dundees. Particularly the daltons in shell.

tampatravel

Reaction score
I might be a real weirdo but I was thinking that the Ralph Lauren Sanderson's (were $159 @ Shoebank) look great with jeans due to their double sole and dark leather. They also can dress up quite nicely too. I have a pair, so I might be biased.

Here's what they look like:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4325812&ab=crosssell_2_4325811_4325812

This is just my $.015 worth

I should also add...

I wear my AE Finch & AE Elgin with jeans as well. They look great and are from the ROUGH collection I believe.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I might be a real weirdo but I was thinking that the Ralph Lauren Sanderson's (were $159 @ Shoebank) look great with jeans due to their double sole and dark leather. They also can dress up quite nicely too. I have a pair, so I might be biased.

Here's what they look like:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4325812&ab=crosssell_2_4325811_4325812

This is just my $.015 worth

Funny you mention that, I managed to snag a pair of dark brown sandersons on sale. I have not worn them out yet because I am waiting to exchange my chukkamoks for dark brown BB strands. I will then compare the shoes side by side, but I anticipate I will go with the strands

You've been drinking the Kool-Aid. I love my Strands, but they are not sleek. Nor is the 5 last particularly sleek, which is why its detractors often call it blobby. I find my Strands work really well in that dress casual niche of slacks and a sport coat or slacks and a dress shirt. I have sleeker balmorals, which look great with a suit and out of place in a more casual ensemble. Part of the beauty of the Strand is its versatility due to its brogueing and last that is not too sleek or too blobby.

Jeans and a casual shirt, I could see any of the following:

Calfskin or suede Malverns
Shell Dundee's
Shell or calf loafer
Dalton or a similar AE boot.
Shell longwing blucher
Shell shortwing blucher (Ralph Lauren Marlow or something similar)

I only said it was relatively sleek because it was on the same last as my kenilworths. The cap toe probably cuts down on the sleekness, though.

tietherope

Reaction score
I've found it impossible to find merlot/burgundy belts in Toronto. I ordered the Manistee belt along with my merlot McAllisters during the recent sale.

J
Thanks for the input. I have been to many more stores in Toronto since my post and have not had any luck.

I think I'm going to go the same route and order from AE. However, I won't do so until it is on sale, so I'll have to use another colour with my shoes until then. Also, due to the shipping charges I will be compelled to buy another pair of shoes to make it worth it. I just can't win!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have been to many more stores in Toronto since my post and have not had any luck.

I think I'm going to go the same route and order from AE. However, I won't do so until it is on sale, so I'll have to use another colour with my shoes until then. Also, due to the shipping charges I will be compelled to buy another pair of shoes to make it worth it. I just can't win!

The $128 calfskin Brooks Brother belt is outstanding and comes in merlot. If you pick it up on one of the 30% off sales, it's pretty reasonable for the quality.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
My new Shell Leeds arrived today!

Also, on the same day I received an outrageously generous care package from retired Naval officer and AE thread guru.....

Cold Iron!

Thank you for the awesome shoe care products! I'll post the finished Leeds once they are ready for use with my uniform.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

I suspect that 99.5% of posters and readers of this forum use their Allen Edmonds shoes in an urban or suburban environment. When I was about 13 my father purchased me a pair of veldtshoen type shoes, just at a time when I was getting into exploring nearby wetlands and forests - and ever since I have liked the idea of traditional leather shoes for use in street/off-street scenarios. For decades I went with good leather hiking boots for my 13 B size, but in the past few years have been looking for shoes that might do okay in my use. I now am in part an "outdoor educator" and partly salmon issues researcher - in a day regularly both in the office and out along natural stream-trails. I have about a half-dozen pairs of Allen Edmonds presently - from regular Park Avenues & Fifth Avenues to  Walnut Strands (rubber sole) and Lexington (double sole).

QUESTION: Wanting shoes, and not boots, anyone suggest an option among the Allen Edmonds universe of shoes that might work? I should add that I prefer open lacing for control, and have given up trying to find English alternatives in narrow widths like C&J Grasmeres. Do like the pebbled look - had considered getting an allen edmonds custom pair with vibram soles or the one simillar to dainite soles.

Looking for real advice here - not criticism of the choice vs. hiking boots!

Great question. I would guide you to the ridgeway collection. They are built bulletproof with a thick double oak sole+ 1/4" of rubber, and the leather upper is made of distressed leather that cleans up nicely after roaming the brush.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ColdIron, I commend you for being all kinds of awesome.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. After I posted a question regarding Saphir colors for adding a little more brown to my Walnut Strands, Cold Iron generously offered to send me some Saphir cognac and medium brown polish that he was not using, so that I could experiment without having to buy the entire jars and pay for shipping. Cold Iron is beyond generous.

jrarnold

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of 1st chili Ashtons this weekend and just now ordered a pair of 2nd black Ashtons and 2nd burgundy Scottsdales. I feel that the colors will give me a good selection for casual/business/formal.

AmericanGent

Reaction score

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  After I posted a question regarding Saphir colors for adding a little more brown to my Walnut Strands, Cold Iron generously offered to send me some Saphir cognac and medium brown polish that he was not using, so that I could experiment without having to buy the entire jars and pay for shipping.  Cold Iron is beyond generous. 

Perhaps a Styleforum sainthood is in order? Let talk with the forum gods about how to get the canonization process rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads