• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wanted to show off a pair of brown shell macneils I scored on the bay for ~130 that came in today. The pics are after a quick renovateur application and brushing because they were a bit dusty when they got here. They have a few scratches, but I think eventually they'll buff out.

Nice find.

What is the style number? It appears they might be well-aged burgundy shell, which gets incorrectly described on ebay all the time as brown shell. Either way, congrats.

Subutai

Reaction score

Hi All
I am a first time poster. I have some money set aside to invest in a good pair of shoes and I have selected the AE Mcallister (love them). I have a good pair of black shoes for wearing with a charcoal suit, and want the new ones to be able to:

a) be worn with nice dark jeans and a cotton navy blazer or sportcoat when going out with friends, for dinner, etc. and,

b) go with my navy wool blazer and a nice pair of dress pants.

I will likely wear them more with jeans (and maybe chinos) than I will with dress pants. My dilemma is that I love both the walnut and the bourbon colors. When I try one on I think it is my favourite, until I try the other and then think IT is my favourite. Unfortunately getting both is not in the cards right now, so I was hoping to get some insight from other SF members who have either been through the same decision, or have an opinion on one color vs the other (these are the only 2 colors I am considering).

Thanks for any advice or insight you can offer.

Jeff

My vote is for a Blucher as well based on what you're looking for, esp the MacNeils if you like wingtips. That said, if you like the McAllisters, as much as i like the Walnut, I'd recommend getting them in Bourbon as they're a little more versatile. I'd also strongly suggest them in Merlot.

PK35216

Reaction score
I've said it before, but I think AE needs to introduce a shell shoe version of the Dalton. It would make a great short wing blucher.

AMEN! And on the 1 or 5 last, ideally. I would buy that in walnut shell in a second.

PK35216

Reaction score
Polished up the ol' walnut Jeffersons this weekend. Keep in mind I'm no polishing expert, yet I used AE's a generous portion of walnut premium polish after letting AE conditioner/cleaner soak in. Then buffed with the amazon microfiber recommended by Cold Iron, I think.

Also, chili edge application from AE, for all of you who have been asking questions about edge treatments.

Incidentally, this is the first time I have polished these shoes with the walnut polish, as opposed to chestnut, which preserves the original color a bit better. The walnut polish definitely turns it a more orange and darker shade, as evidenced by the next pic showing the shoes when I first received them last year. Obviously, the lighting is a bit different, which exagerates the effect.

From several months ago under different lighting.

gandhi

Reaction score

Hi All
I am a first time poster. I have some money set aside to invest in a good pair of shoes and I have selected the AE Mcallister (love them). I have a good pair of black shoes for wearing with a charcoal suit, and want the new ones to be able to:

a) be worn with nice dark jeans and a cotton navy blazer or sportcoat when going out with friends, for dinner, etc. and,

I will likely wear them more with jeans (and maybe chinos) than I will with dress pants. My dilemma is that I love both the walnut and the bourbon colors. When I try one on I think it is my favourite, until I try the other and then think IT is my favourite. Unfortunately getting both is not in the cards right now, so I was hoping to get some insight from other SF members who have either been through the same decision, or have an opinion on one color vs the other (these are the only 2 colors I am considering).

Jeff

Like another poster above I suggest you look at the Merlot color too, it goes quite well with dark jeans or navy dress pants.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Say hello to my friends Bayfield (chromexcel), Bagley (chili), Parliament (black), Hale (black), Hamptons (brown/brown grain), Park Avenue (walnut grain), and Essex (merlot?). I've got a few oddballs in there like the Bagley and the Hamptons, but they're some of my favorites because they're relatively rare. The Park Aves in walnut grain just arrived tonight!

Sorry for the crappy picture...

How do the Hamptons fit compared to other shoes in your collection? Do they run TTS?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polished up the ol' walnut Jeffersons this weekend. Keep in mind I'm no polishing expert, yet I used AE's a generous portion of walnut premium polish after letting AE conditioner/cleaner soak in. Then buffed with the amazon microfiber recommended by Cold Iron, I think.

Also, chili edge application from AE, for all of you who have been asking questions about edge treatments.

Incidentally, this is the first time I have polished these shoes with the walnut polish, as opposed to chestnut, which preserves the original color a bit better. The walnut polish definitely turns it a more orange and darker shade, as evidenced by the next pic showing the shoes when I first received them last year. Obviously, the lighting is a bit different, which exagerates the effect.

From several months ago under different lighting.

Beautiful!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I wear the Chili Regent Street shoes with both those outfit scenarios, and think it looks fantastic. Longwing blucher. It has been discontinued, but you may be able to find your size in clearance on the AE website for under 2 bills. Great shoe, IMO. Runs a little wider and longer than the McAllister.

Good luck!

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All
I am a first time poster. I have some money set aside to invest in a good pair of shoes and I have selected the AE Mcallister (love them).
I have a good pair of black shoes for wearing with a charcoal suit, and want the new ones to be able to:

Jeff

The McAllister is a good shoe, and a medium brown like bourbon would be a good color to have (though you should look to acquire dark brown and burgundy as well in the future). Like others have said, for your stated uses, I would instead recommend a blucher. For example, have you considered the AE Delray in chili?

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Gentlemen, in your opinion, does a heavily pinked/brogued balmoral still have more formality on account of its tight lacing when compared to a less heavily decorated blucher? The reason I ask is because I currently have black kenilworths, and at first glance, they would seem more formal to me than the dark brown BB strands I plan on acquiring. I was planning on wearing the BB strands out with dark denim, and seemed to be a good idea in my head. Everyone here seems to be recommending bluchers over balmorals every time, however.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
The McAllister is a good shoe...
I would instead recommend a blucher. For example, have you considered the AE Delray in chili?

For what it's worth, I think a casually colored short-wing balmoral like the McAllister would look every bit as good with jeans as the Delray. In fact, I think it would look better. I find the whole 'no closed lacing with casual wear' to be quite limiting and too strict for my taste. I wear my walnut Strands with jeans all the time and think they look great.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I don't think that's normal wear for a shoe of Allen Edmonds quality, perhaps you should send them back to Allen Edmonds for a replacement from the company.

Please do not take offense to this, jbcohen, but I feel you should refrain from offering advice like this unless you are confident it is correct. Having someone send their shoes back to AE over a non-issue is a headache no one needs.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, in your opinion, does a heavily pinked/brogued balmoral still have more formality on account of its tight lacing when compared to a less heavily decorated blucher? The reason I ask is because I currently have black kenilworths, and at first glance, they would seem more formal to me than the dark brown BB strands I plan on acquiring. I was planning on wearing the BB strands out with dark denim, and seemed to be a good idea in my head. Everyone here seems to be recommending bluchers over balmorals every time, however.

Don't get caught up in trying to establish a hierarchy of formality. Dark brown Strands are alright with jeans, as are black Kenilworths. Would a long wing blucher be better with jeans? Probably, but it does not change the fact that you are building your collection and Strands will be just fine for now. For what it's worth, I do not wear my Strands with jeans anymore because I now have better choices (chukkha boot, shell loafer or shell long wing blucher).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads