1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

This is too funny. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I'd second the idea to petition AE to resurrect this shoe. Allison must have been surprised to get this exact same question about a 53 year old shoe from two people on the same day. I emailed her as well earlier today.

1 person likes this.
  3. red81

red81 Senior member

all i'm getting out of this is that i need a pair of elgin's.

1 person likes this.
  4. shitown

shitown Member

That is not 100% true.
    yes you can still change your sole durning recrafting but now they charge an additional $10.00 on top of the recrafting price

5. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I have both of those as well and wouldn't give one up for the other. I'm happy to have both, but I guess it depends how many shoes are in your rotation.

[​IMG]

I highly recommend it, the favorite of my 7 pairs of AE. Here's some possible incentive:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I must admit they do look stunning.

7. calidist

calidist Senior member

+1

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

This makes it the three of us :)

1 person likes this.
  9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

They no longer have the last or die. So, they would have to recreate a die, and build it on a current last. I would buy one. :)

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

top call!

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

General population will not notice, but I guarantee that you will have more than 3 pairs of shoes soon, haha.

12. schweezly

schweezly Active Member

They're very similar. I'll wear these a few more times and see if its gets better. You're right...they're cheaper and made in the DR (but I still like them a lot)

13. green garden

green garden Senior member

+1. Where did you get the Strands?

14. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

It was from a local store. I grabbed one of the last pairs but there were a couple more pairs in dark brown at the time. Not sure now because this was 3 days ago. Anyway its ok because I think I will go with the brown cordovan strands I ordered last night from the $299 cordovan sale on seconds. That was seriously an impulse buy which I was thinking about cancelling while I was still trying to make the decision between mcallister vs strand in calfskin. But it shipped, so I guess I'll just forget everything and go walnut calf strand and brown cordovan strand. Now I need to go deal hunting and hunt down some black park avenues.

15. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

A quick research suggests that Kent last is probably an older name of the current 7 last. Browsing the 1963 AE catalogue I found that MacNeil has been built on the same last.

16. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Last year was all about the color laces but I don't see them often--if at all--on this forum these days.
    [​IMG]
    For the more fashion forward forum-mates, is this trend over yet?

17. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Thank you for answering my question. I think you were the only one that attempted to answer my question.

18. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

If you were to buy only three pairs of shoes--a very unlikely assumption for most members of this forum--I'd suggest sticking with your walnut Strands (don't forget to get a matching walnut belt), and getting a plain toe (Leeds) and a lonwging (MacNeil) or shortwing (McAllister). Under no circumstances would you want to buy a black pair of dress shoes, assuming you want to limit yourself with just three pairs.

You could also look at the AE casual shoes, once you decide that 3 pairs is not enough (this won't be long, I promise).

19. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Keep your shell Strands, if they fit. This is a great shoe at an even better price.

20. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

If I had to only own three pairs of ae it would be the strand, dalton, and those sick mto cordovan macneils a few pages back. Anyone else what's your top three, and no you cannot have four.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.