Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Forgot to mention: If, as you wear them more, you notice the toe continuing to wear quickly, you can get metal toe taps put on to stop the wear.

2. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Thanks for the reassurance. I figured it couldn't be a case of them being this fragile as I was pretty easy on them.

The extra toe length has cramped my heel/toe shifting which is a perfect segue into the now necessary purchase of dedicated driving shoes. If Ayrton Senna can heel toe in white sox and penny loafers then dress socks and driving mocs should be all that more acceptable.

3. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

I got my new sport orthotic in today. It appears to be ever so slightly lower in the arch and heel. Maybe about 1/8" or so. I'll have to take them with me to the San Francisco AE and try on some more styles to see if I can actually wear them with the non-orthotic line. However, I have my doubts that this will make any difference as I had to remove the insole in both the 8-678 and 1511G last shoes to be able to fit with my current orthotic. If I were to try and fit this slightly lower orthotic in to a 'normal' style, what are the deeper lasts that I should try?

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Snuff suede Neumoks today.

[​IMG]

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I recommend wearing them around the house on carpet for a few hours prior to going outside. That will help to break them in and reduce initial toe wear on the sole

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

[​IMG]

7. MoneyWellSpent

As the others said above, it is perfectly normal for your toes to show what appears to be a higher rate of wear initially as your soles adjust to your gait. They start out as right angles, so obviously they will round off some. The amount varies from person to person. That said, did you spend some time breaking them in indoors for several wears (of at least an hour each) before you began wearing them outdoors? If not, that will certainly result in some unnecessarily heavy wear at first as they break in and get past the initial stiffness of the sole. It is best to break them in on non-abrasive surfaces so that the sole flexes properly and doesn't drag during walking.

8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I wondered the same thing when I got my McAllisters with leather sole. On day 1 the toes on each were eaten away. It has since formed to how I walk and has slowed down. I did an edge sole polish the first few times I wore them. I then got a pair of McAllisters with the V sole and like them a lot - don't have this issue. Interestingly enough my Sheltons with leather sole on a different last did not wear as much the first few times out. Could be because of the thicker sole or simply the shape of the shoe and how you end up walking in them.

9. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

Just wanted to show off a pair of brown shell macneils I scored on the bay for ~130 that came in today. The pics are after a quick renovateur application and brushing because they were a bit dusty when they got here. They have a few scratches, but I think eventually they'll buff out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MoneyWellSpent

The Sheltons already have a rounded sole edge. That's one of the things I really like about them.

11. MoneyWellSpent

Looks like you got a pretty good deal!

12. Jeffreyleigh

Jeffreyleigh New Member

Hi All
    I am a first time poster. I have some money set aside to invest in a good pair of shoes and I have selected the AE Mcallister (love them). I have a good pair of black shoes for wearing with a charcoal suit, and want the new ones to be able to:

a) be worn with nice dark jeans and a cotton navy blazer or sportcoat when going out with friends, for dinner, etc. and,

b) go with my navy wool blazer and a nice pair of dress pants.

I will likely wear them more with jeans (and maybe chinos) than I will with dress pants. My dilemma is that I love both the walnut and the bourbon colors. When I try one on I think it is my favourite, until I try the other and then think IT is my favourite. Unfortunately getting both is not in the cards right now, so I was hoping to get some insight from other SF members who have either been through the same decision, or have an opinion on one color vs the other (these are the only 2 colors I am considering).

Thanks for any advice or insight you can offer.

Jeff

13. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Great find! I looked for shell MacNeils on eBay for many months, but I'm a really weird size and so instead I'm having some made up at the factory right now. Those look marvelous; I am wicked jealous.

Disclaimer: I own no McAllisters, nor do I own any bourbon shoes, nor any walnut... but you can't go wrong either way. Subjectively, if it were me, I'd suggest the walnut if you'd use them more during the day and the bourbon if they'd get more use in the evening.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You probably won't like my answer, but don't get the Mcallister. It is too formal for what you plan on wearing them with. I recommend a blucher instead, maybe something with a double leather sole. What about the McNeil? It is still a wingtip, though a longwing, and a bit more casual. I also like the Delrays.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

My vote is for a blucher too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.