Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

So I got my brooks fifth aves the other day... Other than a few minor cosmetic defects that I can live with, I noticed that the welt stitching on the right shoe is awfully far away from the shoe. It doesn't make a huge difference to me cosmetically because it's tough to see as it's a black shoe, but I question whether this will make recrafting impossible or difficult? I can always exchange them, but if this won't change the life of the shoe I will keep it. Thanks in advance for the advice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That will have no effect on recrafting. They replace the welt and the sole during the recrafting process.

3. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I wonder how old these Shelton seconds are that I just got from the outlets then? Walnut/Brown with black insole. When I opened the box I remember thinking, "cool black insoles".

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Hard to say. I've seen shoes at outlets that are well over a decade old. I wouldn't worry about it though.

5. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input!

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The black insoles are gone because they contained a chemical adhesive that, when combined with foot sweat, created a toxic substance that rendered males infertile. So, MWS is right, as long as your feet never sweat and you already have all the kids you want. If not, I seem to recall a home-remedy that many employed that involved wrapping the black insoles in sealed ziplock bags and taking male enhancement supplements as a precaution. Report back on how this works out for you.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Then again, I may be confusing the black insoles with a different product recall. Hard to say. I can't remember anything anymore since I started wearing AE's with black insoles.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

After having a black insole I only order my insoles black...you know what they say...

9. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

*sad face* I was told from AE Customer Service that they won't do the Bel Air.

Nonetheless, I have emailed Mr Grangaard for that special deal.
    We'll see...

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I should pick up a pair like this. I was going to get a vasectomy, but now I won't have to!

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Blue Cross covered 80% of my Park Avenues. Check with your insurance carrier.

12. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Are my shoes made from dandelion puffs and butterfly wings?

So I wore my Chili Lasalles yesterday for the first time. Drove to work, walked a block to lunch and drove home and this is the wear on the sole. Is this typical, especially the toe?

I'm wondering if I should sand a chamfer on the leading edge of the sole to stop that furring that's happening.

I'm hoping my Delrays with V sole will hold up better.

Also the last picture is showing how much different the profile is in 15D vs the shape on the website. Sorry for the poor cell pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013

13. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

I don't think that's normal wear for a shoe of Allen Edmonds quality, perhaps you should send them back to Allen Edmonds for a replacement from the company.

14. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

That wear is perfectly normal. Soles tend to wear a lot initially and then it slows down considerably, at least that has been my experience with my 5 leather soled AEs. I wouldn't be concerned.

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

They are fine. The soles always look like that the first time out. For me, the toe wears quickly at first, but then slows down or stops. Some people who aren't used to leather-soled shoes have a hard time with this at first, but it is normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.