• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if leather defender or any other protective sprays prevent/diminsh absorption of reno or other conditioners?
I am at 17 shell shoes\boots currently and only have had serious water welts with one of them, my black shell Dundee's. They are the only ones I use Defender on for that very reason, because I'm not sure. Someone on the Alden of Carmel site suggested several thin coats of wax for protection and I do have a few that I have done that to, my black shell PA's and burgundy Cambridge. I have not had any issues with them and water using just a few thin coats of wax over a period of a year or more. But they also never seemed to have water issues either.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm probably in the minority but I still really enjoy calf.  I have a few boots in shell and am still on a patient hunt for the more rare shell colors.  I love shell but will buy both shell AND calf in the future.

I particularly am fond of CXL.  Natural CXL ages so nicely with incredible patina.  One thing about calf to me is the feel of it.  Shell feels nice and smooth but somehow very good calf seems more luxurious to the touch.  People made fun of a post I made quite awhile ago (
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
) about enjoying the incredible tactile sensation of calfskin.  And I still do.  Sitting cross-legged in meetings or whatever, the luxurious sensation of good calf relieves boredom!  And I don't think shell just has that same feel.  But it's all so subjective...

I agree that from an appearance perspective, shell is king.

I agree.  I have shell longwings, shell shortwings and shell loafers, but prefer calfskin for my other shoes.  I may pick up a shell boot like the Dalton in the future, but don't see a ton of other shell additions for me in the future.  Maybe that will change with time.

Nothing wrong with this. Your wallets will thank you.

robby

Reaction score
Following up on this...
Can I get some advice?

I got a good deal on a pair of new Navy/Tan Finches on closeout (not factory seconds). I absolutely love the style and fit, but after wearing them for just a couple of hours I notice they are breaking in very asymetrically from an aesthetic standpoint. The right shoe has barely any crease to it, even when bent, while the left shoe already has several enormous creases that span across the entire toebox and down to the outsole.

Creasing per se isn't something that bothers me, but I have two concerns I was hoping some of you guys could weigh in on:

1) If the leather quality varies greatly between the two shoes, is the left shoe likely to get more and more beat up while the right one continues looking new, or is it more likely that with time it will even out?

2) Because these shoes are part of the "rough" collection, AE advises that no polish or cream is used on them. It would be nice though if there were some way to restore the original color in the creased area so that there isn't so much contrast on the creasemarks. Is there a solution for this or am I asking the shoe to be something that it isn't?

Photos for reference:

Robby - Any issues with any other shoes? Sometimes it's a person's gait that causes issues and not what the person is wearing.

Especially during a break-in period there's a good chance a person isn't using their "normal" walk.

I don't recall having this problem before, but I'll double-check my barely broken in Strands when I get home to see if there's anything similar going on there.

I checked my new strands and all of my other AE leather shoes and none of them exhibit this behavior. How would you guys feel if your new shoes broke in like this? I'm trying to figure out if this is a defect or if I'm being too anal.

Updated/recent photo:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never owned any A/E shoes.

However, last week, I bought 2 pair in one day.

Here's one of them:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never owned any A/E shoes.

However, last week, I bought 2 pair in one day.

Here's one of them:

They look good. I think I saw a similar pair at Nordstrom Rack. What model are they?

looks like the big sur at the rack

Yes, I bought them at Nordstrom Rack. No idea what model they are.

That is the Schautal in tan suede. I assume it is made for the German AE market, but that is just an assumption. It is pretty much the MacNeil in tan suede, but it seems to be built on the 3-73 last based on the model number (assuming they use the same numbering system for their shoes in Germany). It has a double leather sole, brown edge trim, cream colored glove leather lining. I tried them on and found them quite cozy, and I think they are a great value if you are looking for a suede wingtip.

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
That is the Schautal in tan suede. I assume it is made for the German AE market, but that is just an assumption. It is pretty much the MacNeil in tan suede, but it seems to be built on the 3-73 last based on the model number (assuming they use the same numbering system for their shoes in Germany). It has a double leather sole, brown edge trim, cream colored glove leather lining. I tried them on and found them quite cozy, and I think they are a great value if you are looking for a suede wingtip.

Thanks for the abundance of information!

OptoDoc

Reaction score

Not sure. Originally thought it was the Larchmont because of the squared-off toe (i.e. the 3 last), however it only has 4 eyelits and a different medallion.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this. Your wallets will thank you.
True, very true. But eventually even your wallets can turn to shell if your not careful...

I still like and appreciate other materials, calf, cowhide, suede, CXL, etc. which I still own and purchase. It does not have to be an exclusive agreement. But I do have to admit that the shell will try to take over, be careful.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads