Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I don't own Patriots, but this is what I was going to reply with. Good luck, and let us know the remedy.

2. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

I'm having a hard time understanding the appeal of a leather that you can't wear in the rain... of course not everywhere is blessed with nine miserable months of it. I know you aren't supposed to use polish on shell, but would a light wax solve the rain problems?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

[​IMG]

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Thanks, I hope it pans out.

I might be going shoeless for the rest of the day. Walking back and forth from the desk is very annoying!

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Totally agree with this. I no longer appreciate calf shoes like I used to.

I have the same issue with my Brown calf Patriots, but with the leather sole. I suspect it is the heel and some others think it might be the strap on the loafer. I just got a pair of Marlow Pennies, so I will likely be flipping my Patriots. I picked my Patriots up from eBay, so I don't think I have the same recourse options as you. I wonder if anyone with the Shell Patriots have this issue.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

6. ScottyBoy920

Winston- Did you try to contact AE about the patriots, see what they would do? They are certainly known for their customer service.

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

+1.

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Anyone know if leather defender or any other protective sprays prevent/diminsh absorption of reno or other conditioners?

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

About Customer Service....

...I found the staff at the Jefferson Retail Outlet to be quite helpful and charming when I was ordering 4 pairs of shoes from them.

But when I had to return one pair, things abruptly changed. No acknowledgement that a return sent on May 18th was received, and no credits have since shown up on my CC statement. When I dared to inquire as to the status, the (unsigned) person responding was quite rude stating that they know they processed a return on May 27th, and if I haven't seen anything on my CC, I should take it up with my bank, and they won't be able to help me further.

Since returns to the Allen Edmonds factory are always credited the date of receipt, is it at all unreasonable to inquire? Especially as a repeat customer who has bought 9 pairs from them in the past?

I would issue a stern caveat emptor to anyone buying from this store. Stick to the actual Shoe Bank. Much friendlier folk there...

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Walnut Shell Strands today
    [​IMG]

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

You know it's bad when you look at a pair of calf EG, Lobb, G&G, etc. that someone posts on SF and immediately think "but they're not shell."

12. ScottyBoy920

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

What a great collecton!! From your shell and exotic's collection I knew that you were pretty good in your shoe selection but your overall collection is fantastic also!

Yeah shell loafers was my first thought, I wear the heck out of my Patriot's. However... I do not own any monk straps because they just don't work for me. So picking up loafers if you don't think that you would wear them wouldn't make sense. But you already know that ;-)

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I'm probably in the minority but I still really enjoy calf. I have a few boots in shell and am still on a patient hunt for the more rare shell colors. I love shell but will buy both shell AND calf in the future.

I particularly am fond of CXL. Natural CXL ages so nicely with incredible patina. One thing about calf to me is the feel of it. Shell feels nice and smooth but somehow very good calf seems more luxurious to the touch. People made fun of a post I made quite awhile ago ([​IMG]) about enjoying the incredible tactile sensation of calfskin. And I still do. Sitting cross-legged in meetings or whatever, the luxurious sensation of good calf relieves boredom! And I don't think shell just has that same feel. But it's all so subjective...

I agree that from an appearance perspective, shell is king.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree. I have shell longwings, shell shortwings and shell loafers, but prefer calfskin for my other shoes. I may pick up a shell boot like the Dalton in the future, but don't see a ton of other shell additions for me in the future. Maybe that will change with time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.