• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

does anyone know what the AE San Marco fit is comparable to in terms of some of the more popular AE shoes?

It is on the infamous 2 last - it runs very narrow.

My local store has them at 1/2 price in my size - I cannot wear them. They fit too tight across my high instep.

Chris

Scottyb06

Reaction score
I have an event coming up this week which will require wearing a suit. I'm planning to wear the suit in the pics below, however, I cannot decide which shoes are more appropriate. The event is a business gathering with roughly 500 people or so. Nothing too formal, but a suit is indeed typical attire. Which shoes look better - the black Hastings or the Bourbon McAllisters? If it doesn't show up in the pic well, the shirt is a light sky blue color, not white. Thanks :)

wilbromarshall

Reaction score
I have an event coming up this week which will require wearing a suit. I'm planning to wear the suit in the pics below, however, I cannot decide which shoes are more appropriate. The event is a business gathering with roughly 500 people or so. Nothing too formal, but a suit is indeed typical attire. Which shoes look better - the black Hastings or the Bourbon McAllisters? If it doesn't show up in the pic well, the shirt is a light sky blue color, not white. Thanks :)

While I am not a big believer that black shoes should only be used at select times ( I break that rules when I please) I would vote for the Borbon McAllisters.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mcallisters.

gtvisa2002

Reaction score

Even I will vote for McAllister. By your suit selection, I assume it's not too formal and McAllister works better with that suit.
Hope that helps.

konoyaro

Reaction score
I'll break the trend and vote Hastings. Works better in conjunction with the tie + suit IMHO.

AdamAdam

Reaction score

Without a doubt the bourbon Macs.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone that the Bourbon McAllisters look best with that suit, but we are all ignoring the context. OP needs to consider whether this business event is important and formal enough that he needs to break out the black shoes. Of course, an affirmative answer may also dictate wearing a darker suit, but that is another story. If the context does not dictate the shoe selection, then I agree go with the bourbon shoes.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Any of you with burgundy calf patriots w/ combo tap sole have a squeaking issue? Every step I take is noisy and quite annoying.

Seeking a remedy if possible.

Update: Looks like this is a common issue, as per the AE website. I will be heading to a store to see what can be done.

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some serious shell addicts here! I think the longer I go without fully understanding the shell lure the better off my pocketbook will be...and the longer it'll be before my wife catches on!

What others have said about shell is all true. If you develop an appreciation for it, you will probably want to (1) only buy shell from that point on and (2) get the itch to replace your calf shoes with shell. If you're okay with this, then head over to the Alden thread* and don't look back.

*EDIT: I meant in order to see what shell is all about, since the Alden thread has a heavy focus on shell. It's perfectly fine to stick with AE in the end.

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have an event coming up this week which will require wearing a suit. I'm planning to wear the suit in the pics below, however, I cannot decide which shoes are more appropriate. The event is a business gathering with roughly 500 people or so. Nothing too formal, but a suit is indeed typical attire.
Which shoes look better - the black Hastings or the Bourbon McAllisters?
If it doesn't show up in the pic well, the shirt is a light sky blue color, not white. Thanks :)
I'll assume that both shoes are appropriate based on the suit color you've chosen. In that case, I think the McAllisters look better (with light grey).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads