Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Pat of my shoe collection includes 3 pairs of black shoes (monk, derby/blucher and an oxford/balmoral) and I am very happy with them. Let the man enjoy his collection, his circumstances might necessitate having more than 1 pair.

2. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

Good evening gentlemen,
    What is the general feeling about the Williams long wingtip?
    Any first hand, ehm... Sorry, let me correct that...
    Any first foot experience?

3. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I have a pair. I love the leather in the Independence line. I have the Williams, Jefferson and Rutledge. Very soft. I love my WIlliams. Here is a pic. Not the best to show them off, but all I have of the Williams.

[​IMG]

4. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I didn't see any responses to this part of a my question a few pages back so thought I would ask again. Is it normal for "seconds" to be worn or just have defects? My Sheltons arrived from the outlet the other day and I can see no flaws. However, it's obvious that someone wore them for a day and returned them. I don't really care except there are creases (not deep) across each vamp. I'm just wondering if this means that they now won't crease on my lines and will end up being uncomfortable or end up with multiple unsightly creases. Obviously creases are inevitable and my other Sheltons have developed them just like every shoe, but I was concerned that these would tend towards the creases already there instead of mine. I image this is an issue for anyone who buys used shoes as well.

Thanks!

5. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

I think the Clifton, Park Avenue, and Rutledge are great shoes that make a tremendous foundation for what I am guessing will be an expanding collection. (No slight meant on the Montecito I just have no opinion on them since I do not have any nice loafers due my failure to find a good fit.)

My philosophy is that you should buy what you like. Now certainly having a well rounded collection is a good thing, but I suspect that most of us can find an area we could improve upon, but that just makes for a good "Want" list.

6. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

For those Saphir lovers- I came across this package on Bespoke Post. All for $60. Is that a descent price? Was originally $45.

https://www.bespokepost.com/box/polished

Renovateur, 50 ml, Saphir

Creme Surfine, Black and Brown, 50ml, Saphir

Pate de Luxe Wax, Neutral, 50ml, Saphir

Buffing Brush, 13.5cm, Saphir

Applicator Brush x 2, Saphir

Waxed Cotton Colorful Shoelaces, 32 inches, 2 Pair - Red and Navy

Shoe Bag, Saphir

Descent package?

Last edited: May 31, 2013

7. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Not exactly sure if creases are a turn off. Many people buy their shoes second hand with creases and have a solid pair for life.

I guess if they create an uncomfortable experience then it would be an issue though.

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Great story guys! I remember mentioning to my wife one day as I was heading out the door, "I'm going to have coffee with a guy I met on the internet...see you later!" It certainly didn't sound sordid when I was making the plans but as I uttered those words aloud, it sure seemed strange.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's an encouraging story, especially if you work in an environment with men who are less savvy about footwear. More than once I've been challenged by a co-worker who thought his $99 Chinese made square toe loafer was superior to my AEs.

I was intrigued by the less than discrete scrutiny of the other party's footwear. I fully expect that one of these days someone will appraoch me (probably at the airport) and ask me if I'm PhiPsi32, referring to one (or more pairs) of custom shoes that I posted on StyleForum. Seems a little odd. Someone walks by, looks at your shoes, and says, "Hey, I know you . . ."

FTFY

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Per my earlier post about AE's natural edge dressing, I ended up using a tiny amount of AE's walnut cream polish on the scuffs themselves. I didn't apply the cream polish to the entire edge, just the spots that needed color (the tube was listed as AE Premium Shoe Polish).

I then applied AE's Brown wax polish (jar of brown carnauba wax polish) over the entire edge. As we know, wax polishes don't impart all that much pigment, especially when applied very lightly. My thought process (based on the informative responses I received earlier today) was that the cream would cover the scuffs and the wax would seal the edge. I have a bottle of dark brown edge dressing but its very dark and I wanted to preserve the OEM finish & appearance. The brown edge dressing would likely cover up the visible stacked layers of sole leather.

It turned out as well as I'd hoped. Here are some before & after images for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, I've no idea how I scuffed them in the first place. I fly regularly and while it was my first trip with these shoes, I've never previously seen scuffs like this.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Source of the scuffs aside, that looks like a nice touch up job. Nice job!

12. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Unless this is different than what they had before. The Saphir Reno that they have in this package is the base level Saphir Reno that comes in a less elegant jar with blue/green cover. This is the original formula. It's still pretty good, but the Saphir Reno that is mentioned in SF is Saphir MDO usually. MDO is their more expensive line of creams and polishes with a more concentrated formula. I didn't rush out to get this box at the original 45$ price, and I don't think its worth 60$. You can get the AE branded brushes, laces, shoe bags for much cheaper and spend the rest of the money on Saphir MDO Renovateur.

13. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

Thank you [​IMG]

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks PhiPsi32!

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I don't think those products are meant for shell. Saphir sells a shell conditioning cream (don't remember the name).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.