• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickrone

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my humble AE collection. Sorry for the weird angles. Clifton, Park Avenue, Rutledge, Montecito.

Great collection, Those are too many black shoes, you only need one. Do you do a lot of weddings or funerals? I would have gotten the park ave in black and the rest in dark brown, merlot, and chili.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up: Nordstrom rack is selling their woodlore combination shoe trees for $9.90. This sale runs til June 16.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Taking the walnut shell Kenilworths out for a spin today. It's supposed to rain later today so I've got a pair of Elgins standing by.
smile.gif

I took these pictures at about the same time, but they look a bit different due to the angle of the sun:

That color change is insane! Is that something you like about the shoes? I feel like it could throw off an entire outfit.

Septimus

Reaction score
Well, considering the pants and the ground also appear to be radically different colors, I assume the camera settings are (automatically?) different, which must at least partially account for the color difference. Right?

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Well, considering the pants and the ground also appear to be radically different colors, I assume the camera settings are (automatically?) different, which must at least partially account for the color difference. Right?

absolutely! Cameras that use an automatic focus and sensor will try to create the best photo possible, considering the lighting. If the sensor catches too much light it will then try to negate the washed out image by making it darker.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Taking the walnut shell Kenilworths out for a spin today. It's supposed to rain later today so I've got a pair of Elgins standing by.:) I took these pictures at about the same time, but they look a bit different due to the angle of the sun:
That color change is insane! Is that something you like about the shoes? I feel like it could throw off an entire outfit.
Well, in real life it's not that drastic. I was a little surprised how different they looked in those pictures. The darker picture is more representative of how it looks most of the time.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, many are at first, I know I was. Once you get a feel for what style and lasts you like best, you will become less compulsive and more strategic.

A while back, someone requested pics of black shell Leeds. Here are mine at about 2 yrs old

Beautiful, they look like they just came out of the box!

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Googled the Elgin for pics, as it isn't on the AE site anymore. The source for one of the images was this site, and the URL had the price in it. I figured I'd investigate, and did end up ordering. Low price, free shipping, and Paypal (rather than asking for CC info) all hepled me decide.

My one concern, however, is that the Elgin is on the same last as the McAllisters I picked up today, which, in an E width, are JUST wide enough. I'm hoping the Rough Collection fits a tad looser. If not, there may be an 11D Elgin up for grabs soon.

That site looks awfully sketchy to me. They ship from Singapore but there's no phone/email/address listed.

I hope it works out well. Let us know what happens!

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

What is the shoe bank?

I hate to be rude, but please devote a few hours to going through this thread and reading several pages. It seems that every one of your questions thus far has been answered at least once or twice a month. It gets frustrating seeing these questions every time someone new to the brand pops in and doesn't bother to do a few searches or spend the time to read all the wisdom and knowledge contained in the back pages.

That said, welcome and please let me know if I can answer any questions that you have, should you not be able to find an answer on your own.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Wanted to quote OptoDoc as well, but technical glitches are preventing it. Anyways, my question to both of you is whether you have considered the fact that the salemen you encountered are just poor salemen who do not enjoy their jobs? I'm 41 and frequently in nice suits and have been blown off as well at both the Michigan Avenue and the LaSalle St. AE stores. So, let's not jump the gun on accusing them of youth or income discrimination. In fact, I've found that both stores tend to blow people off when they're busy, which is why I try to go around 10-11 a.m. when I need to go. I've found that I get excellent service when I'm the only one in the store.

I agree that I should not pass judgement on one isolated incident. However, when I was in the store it was not very busy. While my SA was helping me, an older gentleman in a suit walked in and you would have sworn it had been Kate Upton, the way he kept darting his eyes over. When another SA went over to help this man, my SA seemed quite irritated.

As an aside, I had a similar experience when I went to a Joseph A Bank store in Baton Rouge. I was there to purchase shoe trees but decided to browse some of the non-iron shirts as I was told they are decent for traveling. I tried one on but it fit like a tent. I asked the SA if they had any non-iron shirts in a slimmer fit and he proceeded to tell me that he didn't think his store had what I was looking for and that I should consider checking out the clothing at Express.

Again, I am just commenting on this one experience to concur that despite Allen Edmonds wonderful customer service (which I have experienced through their stores, outlets and online staff), it only takes one poor sales associate to ruin someone's (not myself) view of the brand and turn them off forever. This is true in any sales business, not just footwear.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I will find out shortly - as my wife and I are due to expect the Long Branch any day now (which is similar to the Dalton upper.

Yes, the leg increases in girth - but I believe makers of boots accommodate for that in adding more leather to the upper in order to avoid a drastic V look. I also have seen straight laced shoes and boots posted on this forum where there were no gaps, let alone the 1/4" standard gap allowed. And what about military boots?

Certainly not to argue . . . just looking at other possible variations that do not compromise the fit of the shoe or boots.

All my best,

David

I don't think you are trying to be argumentative. I just think you are trying to unfairly take a guideline for a balmoral, and apply it as a general rule to all shoes and boots (bluchers included). You simply can't do that. Some people have huge ankles, some have thin bony ankles, some have big calves others have small ones. You are correct that manufacturers accommodate for general anatomy in constructing a well made boot, but the boot is still sized according to the heel to ball of the foot area. In other words, you can't take a gap in the lacing that is way up above the ankle as indicative of size or proper fit when the boot's size is based on the same part of the foot as any other shoe. If the gap way up on the shaft of the boot is larger than you prefer from an aesthetics point of view, while the rest of the boot is comfortable, I can assure you that going up in size won't help the lacing issue. If you don't like the lacing gap in an otherwise well fitting boot, you will simply have to accept that the model may not be to your taste and look elsewhere. To have it your way in fit and aesthetics from the toes to the top of shaft, you will either have to stumble upon a boot that is perfect for you by sheer luck, or you will have to go bespoke.

Calikid

Reaction score
Thanks! And yes I will see about taking pictures if possible.

The MTO I am working on is something that likely wouldn't seem like much to most people. Like bucksfan said after awhile your shoe collection becomes more strategic. For awhile now I have been working on acquiring a boot, chukka and shoe in each shell color that AE offers or has offered. The Dundee's (chukka) were the first to be completed. She said many people at the factory remembered them as it isn't something they often see, and they took a lot of care to make sure the shell color was different between them.

But in reality it looks like I am missing mahogany in my Dundee's...

The LTD 744 boot second from the left is listed as mahogany and you can see here it is different than dark brown on the left and the cappuccino on the right. Last year bucksfan turned me on a to a pair of C&J for RL Marlow in my size which is also mahogany. Horween calls it Dark Cognac but there are rumors that it is also called #449 and the Marlow used to be called Dark Cognac, it is the same color as the 744.

All of the records at AE list the color as the same as dark brown, and the production manager said no color was added during manufacturing. They had me send my 744's in so they could look at them to see what they could do. She said that from the shell they have it would be impossible to match them so she is going to talk to Skip Horween and see what he can do. If they can pull it off it would give me a shoe, Dundee and boot all in Mahogany and one of the hardest to complete. And may not be able to, but fingers are crossed.

When she talked to me about my 744's she said everyone there asked what I had done to them to make them so shiny. They came without any cream on them and have been treated with Reno but have has a whole lot of brushing. And have always had a great finish on them.

With some luck I hope to have a pair of Dundee's in the same color.
Great information. I never realized the 744's are the same color as the Marlow's. I am going to have to put them side by side for a comparison. I think it is interesting to note how shiny your 744's are as many people have mentioned on the Marlow, Darlton site that their C&J shell do not shine up as well as Alden's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads