Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

Great collection, Those are too many black shoes, you only need one. Do you do a lot of weddings or funerals? I would have gotten the park ave in black and the rest in dark brown, merlot, and chili.

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Just a heads up: Nordstrom rack is selling their woodlore combination shoe trees for $9.90. This sale runs til June 16.

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

That color change is insane! Is that something you like about the shoes? I feel like it could throw off an entire outfit.

4. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Well, considering the pants and the ground also appear to be radically different colors, I assume the camera settings are (automatically?) different, which must at least partially account for the color difference. Right?

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

absolutely! Cameras that use an automatic focus and sensor will try to create the best photo possible, considering the lighting. If the sensor catches too much light it will then try to negate the washed out image by making it darker.

6. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Hmm, I think it was mentioned in this thread at some point that the AE sales associates do not work on commission.

7. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Well, in real life it's not that drastic. I was a little surprised how different they looked in those pictures. The darker picture is more representative of how it looks most of the time.

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Beautiful, they look like they just came out of the box!

9. MoneyWellSpent

Great pair of shoes!

10. MoneyWellSpent

I hope it works out well. Let us know what happens!

11. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

I hate to be rude, but please devote a few hours to going through this thread and reading several pages. It seems that every one of your questions thus far has been answered at least once or twice a month. It gets frustrating seeing these questions every time someone new to the brand pops in and doesn't bother to do a few searches or spend the time to read all the wisdom and knowledge contained in the back pages.

That said, welcome and please let me know if I can answer any questions that you have, should you not be able to find an answer on your own.

Last edited: May 31, 2013

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I agree that I should not pass judgement on one isolated incident. However, when I was in the store it was not very busy. While my SA was helping me, an older gentleman in a suit walked in and you would have sworn it had been Kate Upton, the way he kept darting his eyes over. When another SA went over to help this man, my SA seemed quite irritated.

As an aside, I had a similar experience when I went to a Joseph A Bank store in Baton Rouge. I was there to purchase shoe trees but decided to browse some of the non-iron shirts as I was told they are decent for traveling. I tried one on but it fit like a tent. I asked the SA if they had any non-iron shirts in a slimmer fit and he proceeded to tell me that he didn't think his store had what I was looking for and that I should consider checking out the clothing at Express.

Again, I am just commenting on this one experience to concur that despite Allen Edmonds wonderful customer service (which I have experienced through their stores, outlets and online staff), it only takes one poor sales associate to ruin someone's (not myself) view of the brand and turn them off forever. This is true in any sales business, not just footwear.

Last edited: May 31, 2013

13. MoneyWellSpent

I don't think you are trying to be argumentative. I just think you are trying to unfairly take a guideline for a balmoral, and apply it as a general rule to all shoes and boots (bluchers included). You simply can't do that. Some people have huge ankles, some have thin bony ankles, some have big calves others have small ones. You are correct that manufacturers accommodate for general anatomy in constructing a well made boot, but the boot is still sized according to the heel to ball of the foot area. In other words, you can't take a gap in the lacing that is way up above the ankle as indicative of size or proper fit when the boot's size is based on the same part of the foot as any other shoe. If the gap way up on the shaft of the boot is larger than you prefer from an aesthetics point of view, while the rest of the boot is comfortable, I can assure you that going up in size won't help the lacing issue. If you don't like the lacing gap in an otherwise well fitting boot, you will simply have to accept that the model may not be to your taste and look elsewhere. To have it your way in fit and aesthetics from the toes to the top of shaft, you will either have to stumble upon a boot that is perfect for you by sheer luck, or you will have to go bespoke.

14. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Great information. I never realized the 744's are the same color as the Marlow's. I am going to have to put them side by side for a comparison. I think it is interesting to note how shiny your 744's are as many people have mentioned on the Marlow, Darlton site that their C&J shell do not shine up as well as Alden's.

15. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Banff? Any opinions on them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.