Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Any opinions on the Banff? My Ugg slippers are wearing out. 6pm.com has them on clearance for $86

2. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I Googled the Elgin for pics, as it isn't on the AE site anymore. The source for one of the images was this site, and the URL had the price in it. I figured I'd investigate, and did end up ordering. Low price, free shipping, and Paypal (rather than asking for CC info) all hepled me decide.

My one concern, however, is that the Elgin is on the same last as the McAllisters I picked up today, which, in an E width, are JUST wide enough. I'm hoping the Rough Collection fits a tad looser. If not, there may be an 11D Elgin up for grabs soon.

3. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Also, my new McAllisters!

[​IMG]

Prepping them for their first outing tomorrow...

[​IMG]

...and all shined up.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I did too until he figured out I was a AE fein and he asked if I owned any of their shoes. I said, "Yes, and I just bought the Townley in Shell Cordovan last week" and then he wanted to get cosy after that. Ironically I didn't get that vibe at all at the Alden SF store just down the street. Those guys were VERY cool and even gave me a polishing cloth when I bought some measly leather defender. [​IMG]

5. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I have not been to an AE store as I'm in Canada, but I actually had a poor experience several times on the phone with the shoebank. Maybe it was because it was my first order ever and they could tell I was new to it? Over several phone calls the staff provided very little info and responded as if I was stupid and annoying them. They also failed to email or call me back several times, causing me to miss out on many shoes I wanted. I didn't understand why it was so hard for me to give them my money and I almost abandoned the thought of getting any AE shoes.

On another board someone suggested that I contact the Jeffersonville outlet, which I did. They answered any questions I had in a very timely manner, were a great help in finding shoes and getting some put on hold, and I put an order through with them. Going forward, I will always give Jeffersonville my business and avoid the shoebank.

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I guess I will find out shortly - as my wife and I are due to expect the Long Branch any day now (which is similar to the Dalton upper.

Yes, the leg increases in girth - but I believe makers of boots accommodate for that in adding more leather to the upper in order to avoid a drastic V look. I also have seen straight laced shoes and boots posted on this forum where there were no gaps, let alone the 1/4" standard gap allowed. And what about military boots?

Certainly not to argue . . . just looking at other possible variations that do not compromise the fit of the shoe or boots.

All my best,

David

7. David Copeland

Back in the '90's I was assigned for a spell near the Canadian border when your dollar had slipped to 72c . My wife and I tarried at the Banff Springs Hotel for two weeks and spent 10k on the trip, mostly a shopping trip - and returned to the USA with a 25% savings. Then the tables turned and Canadians began to take advantage of our low dollar (and our medical). I am not sure what the answer is . . . except maybe to have a stronger dollar parked somewhere in the world to accommodate both countries!

8. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

What is the shoe bank?

9. David Copeland

I found the fit guides from web sites do not take into account the standard arch when standing normally in a shoe or on sand. My size also said 11.5, and yet my AE Sanfords from 1999 are 11eee.

[​IMG]

10. David Copeland

I looked up the ownership of nowstyleshoes.com . They have only been in business since January 2013. They also will accept returns to their Singapore store - which appears to be you pay for international shipping of the shoes (which can cost a sum). Not sure if this is a wise way to go on a new company.

11. David Copeland

I am straining my eyes to see the lace gap you have on the uppers. Maybe you have a closeup photo.

(Great looking boots and care)

David

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Today's example: brown shell Patriots.

[​IMG]

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The rough collection does fit looser. I had to size down half a size (stayed with the same width). Please let us know if you do actually receive the shoes. I am going to hold off ordering from them until someone reports a positive experience.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the Banff and really like them. However, I would go up at least a half size as they do run a tad small.

Chris

15. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Taking the walnut shell Kenilworths out for a spin today. It's supposed to rain later today so I've got a pair of Elgins standing by.:)

I took these pictures at about the same time, but they look a bit different due to the angle of the sun:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.