Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Thanks!

WOW so cheap? I"m a D in all my dress shoes!! Man you're gonna make me spend.. From what I've been reading on the AE website the McTavish does run a little big so go down half a size? I"m a 8 in the fifth avenue

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

To be honest, you may want to get sized first.

Im a 11.5D in the Neumok but when I tried on the McTavish I felt most comfortable in a 10.5E. Although I may be more picky about the comfort of my shoes… I hate when my pinky toe is squeezed.

I hope you are able to land one of these deals. I am kicking myself, paid $179 for a pair of Neumok seconds and now I see I could have got firsts for $150. shoot!

Disclaimer- I have never ordered from this location.

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

BucksFan,

I rotate between the Kenilworth and Park avenue's for now. So i'd say twice a week Kenilworth and twice a week Fifth avenue's. I strictly wear them for work, if I"m going out and it's pretty casual I'll throw on my Clarks as I don't want to ruin my AE's :)

Honestly I can't bring myself to wear tassel loafers as they (and don't flame me) look too much of an old man shoe. Penny loafers and boat shoes I dig.

I guess I'm looking for something not as dressed up as Fifth avenue's but not as dressed down as sneakers.

4. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

That site looks awfully sketchy to me. They ship from Singapore but there's no phone/email/address listed.

Last edited: May 30, 2013

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Yeah the prices are really good, almost too good... Anyone order from this site? I've gotten my shoes from allaboutshoes on SF and he was great to deal with.

6. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Just wanted to add that I also previously got a "look down upon thee" vibe from AE salesperson (Sutter street San Francisco location).

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Some makeups are advertised as "unlined" suede. That is not completely true. The suede is typically thin to provide a soft, supple feel. But it is too soft to maintain its structure. At a minimum, themanufacturer will put a partial leather lining in the toebox. You don't see it on wingtip and medallion captoe shoes (like the Neumok or Strandmok). It can be pronounced on chukkas and PTBs. The prominence of the toe bulge may vary between shoes even within batches of the same makeup.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

You'll get no flames from me - that's the great thing about dress shoes. There are ample styles, and as long as they are appropriate, clean and polished, you can't be "wrong". Also, I'm well aware that tassels are an acquired taste.

I'd look at penny loafers and maybe some longwings in a dark brown or burgundy. Either will go with casual pants, and the penny's can be great with shorts also.

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks! And yes I will see about taking pictures if possible.

The MTO I am working on is something that likely wouldn't seem like much to most people. Like bucksfan said after awhile your shoe collection becomes more strategic. For awhile now I have been working on acquiring a boot, chukka and shoe in each shell color that AE offers or has offered. The Dundee's (chukka) were the first to be completed. She said many people at the factory remembered them as it isn't something they often see, and they took a lot of care to make sure the shell color was different between them.

[​IMG]

But in reality it looks like I am missing mahogany in my Dundee's...

[​IMG]
    The LTD 744 boot second from the left is listed as mahogany and you can see here it is different than dark brown on the left and the cappuccino on the right. Last year bucksfan turned me on a to a pair of C&J for RL Marlow in my size which is also mahogany. Horween calls it Dark Cognac but there are rumors that it is also called #449 and the Marlow used to be called Dark Cognac, it is the same color as the 744.

All of the records at AE list the color as the same as dark brown, and the production manager said no color was added during manufacturing. They had me send my 744's in so they could look at them to see what they could do. She said that from the shell they have it would be impossible to match them so she is going to talk to Skip Horween and see what he can do. If they can pull it off it would give me a shoe, Dundee and boot all in Mahogany and one of the hardest to complete. And may not be able to, but fingers are crossed.

When she talked to me about my 744's she said everyone there asked what I had done to them to make them so shiny. They came without any cream on them and have been treated with Reno but have has a whole lot of brushing. And have always had a great finish on them.

[​IMG]
    With some luck I hope to have a pair of Dundee's in the same color.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Cold Iron,

Best of luck with the grail search. Also a testament to AE's service and loyalty to their customers.

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

+1 maybe you'll be able to line up your tour with the manufacture date of your special, special order!

12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Terrible. Looks too big for him.

The comment was hilarious about side show Bob shoes

13. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

i agree....

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Thank you - those look great.

Chris

15. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

I need to start brushing more. Wonderful thing about shell, the color tones change depending on where you view them. Quite jealous that your pair seems to have tones of red, and the shine is hard to believe is without wax. Just curious, what # out of 1000 do you have stamped behind the tongue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.