• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For a casual shoe, AE would certainly recommend the two you are looking at. I personally have the Neumok and love it… I am a big fan of Wingtips. 

You can also look at the Ridgeway.

Take a look at the site below, they seem to have a pretty good selection of both the McTavish, Nuemok and the Elgins (another casual option). Just note they only carry D widths.

http://www.nowstyleshoes.com

Thanks!

WOW so cheap? I"m a D in all my dress shoes!! Man you're gonna make me spend.. From what I've been reading on the AE website the McTavish does run a little big so go down half a size? I"m a 8 in the fifth avenue

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Thanks!

WOW so cheap? I"m a D in all my dress shoes!! Man you're gonna make me spend.. From what I've been reading on the AE website the McTavish does run a little big so go down half a size? I"m a 8 in the fifth avenue

To be honest, you may want to get sized first.

Im a 11.5D in the Neumok but when I tried on the McTavish I felt most comfortable in a 10.5E. Although I may be more picky about the comfort of my shoes… I hate when my pinky toe is squeezed.

I hope you are able to land one of these deals. I am kicking myself, paid $179 for a pair of Neumok seconds and now I see I could have got firsts for $150. shoot!

Disclaimer- I have never ordered from this location.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not knowing how many times you will be wearing your "work shoes" each week, or how formally you dress for it, I'll hazard a recommendation for some nice penny and/or tassel loafers. This way, you may be able to reduce the number of times you wear each pair to 1x per week and greatly increase their longevity. These sorts of shoes can pull double-duty, may be dressy enough for work and casual enough for casual. Nothing wrong with the two you mentioned, just personal preference.

For me, casual shoes fall into 1 of 3 categories:

1) borderline casual/dress shoes (plain toe bluchers, longwing bluchers, tassel loafers, penny loafers; with denim, chinos, shorts or linens)

2) boat shoes (I know, been played out over the past few years, but I actually own a sailboat, and have raced sailboats for 30 years so I refuse to let that stop me from wearing them) if just hanging about (but I've also been known to break out some cordovan penny loafers here too)

3) running shoes / flip flops.

BucksFan,

I rotate between the Kenilworth and Park avenue's for now. So i'd say twice a week Kenilworth and twice a week Fifth avenue's. I strictly wear them for work, if I"m going out and it's pretty casual I'll throw on my Clarks as I don't want to ruin my AE's :)

Honestly I can't bring myself to wear tassel loafers as they (and don't flame me) look too much of an old man shoe. Penny loafers and boat shoes I dig.

I guess I'm looking for something not as dressed up as Fifth avenue's but not as dressed down as sneakers.

TurboTropic

Reaction score

Thanks!

That site looks awfully sketchy to me. They ship from Singapore but there's no phone/email/address listed.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be honest, you may want to get sized first.

Im a 11.5D in the Neumok but when I tried on the McTavish I felt most comfortable in a 10.5E. Although I may be more picky about the comfort of my shoes… I hate when my pinky toe is squeezed. 

I hope you are able to land one of these deals. I am kicking myself, paid $179 for a pair of Neumok seconds and now I see I could have got firsts for $150. shoot!

Disclaimer- I have never ordered from this location.

Yeah the prices are really good, almost too good... Anyone order from this site? I've gotten my shoes from allaboutshoes on SF and he was great to deal with.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that I also previously got a "look down upon thee" vibe from AE salesperson (Sutter street San Francisco location).

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some makeups are advertised as "unlined" suede. That is not completely true. The suede is typically thin to provide a soft, supple feel. But it is too soft to maintain its structure. At a minimum, themanufacturer will put a partial leather lining in the toebox. You don't see it on wingtip and medallion captoe shoes (like the Neumok or Strandmok). It can be pronounced on chukkas and PTBs. The prominence of the toe bulge may vary between shoes even within batches of the same makeup.

So I just got my Amoks from close out and there is something weird about them. The pictures don't do it justice but there is a visible raised line along each shoe

Toe puff?

bucksfan

Reaction score

BucksFan,

I rotate between the Kenilworth and Park avenue's for now. So i'd say twice a week Kenilworth and twice a week Fifth avenue's. I strictly wear them for work, if I"m going out and it's pretty casual I'll throw on my Clarks as I don't want to ruin my AE's :)

Honestly I can't bring myself to wear tassel loafers as they (and don't flame me) look too much of an old man shoe. Penny loafers and boat shoes I dig.

I guess I'm looking for something not as dressed up as Fifth avenue's but not as dressed down as sneakers.

You'll get no flames from me - that's the great thing about dress shoes. There are ample styles, and as long as they are appropriate, clean and polished, you can't be "wrong". Also, I'm well aware that tassels are an acquired taste.

I'd look at penny loafers and maybe some longwings in a dark brown or burgundy. Either will go with casual pants, and the penny's can be great with shorts also.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could pull off a pre-order MTO, and have a shell version of the Gwinnett before it is even sold in stores? That would be impressive.
Wow. Before you know it, CI, you'll have a full spread feature in the next AE catalog. If they allow it, please take pictures when you go.
Wow! That is awesome! Should be an incredible experience, and well deserved.

I cannot wait to hear more about this MTO...
Thanks, CI. Keep me posted if you hear anything more about this Gwinnett.

Can you share what MTO you're doing? Sounds interesting. And congrats for being honored with an invite to their factory.
Excellent on both counts!
Thanks! And yes I will see about taking pictures if possible.

The MTO I am working on is something that likely wouldn't seem like much to most people. Like bucksfan said after awhile your shoe collection becomes more strategic. For awhile now I have been working on acquiring a boot, chukka and shoe in each shell color that AE offers or has offered. The Dundee's (chukka) were the first to be completed. She said many people at the factory remembered them as it isn't something they often see, and they took a lot of care to make sure the shell color was different between them.

But in reality it looks like I am missing mahogany in my Dundee's...

The LTD 744 boot second from the left is listed as mahogany and you can see here it is different than dark brown on the left and the cappuccino on the right. Last year bucksfan turned me on a to a pair of C&J for RL Marlow in my size which is also mahogany. Horween calls it Dark Cognac but there are rumors that it is also called #449 and the Marlow used to be called Dark Cognac, it is the same color as the 744.

All of the records at AE list the color as the same as dark brown, and the production manager said no color was added during manufacturing. They had me send my 744's in so they could look at them to see what they could do. She said that from the shell they have it would be impossible to match them so she is going to talk to Skip Horween and see what he can do. If they can pull it off it would give me a shoe, Dundee and boot all in Mahogany and one of the hardest to complete. And may not be able to, but fingers are crossed.

When she talked to me about my 744's she said everyone there asked what I had done to them to make them so shiny. They came without any cream on them and have been treated with Reno but have has a whole lot of brushing. And have always had a great finish on them.

With some luck I hope to have a pair of Dundee's in the same color.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cold Iron,

Best of luck with the grail search. Also a testament to AE's service and loyalty to their customers.

bucksfan

Reaction score

Cold Iron,

Best of luck with the grail search. Also a testament to AE's service and loyalty to their customers.

+1 maybe you'll be able to line up your tour with the manufacture date of your special, special order!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Terrible. Looks too big for him.

The comment was hilarious about side show Bob shoes

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are mine

Thank you - those look great.

Chris

WiredandTired

Reaction score

With some luck I hope to have a pair of Dundee's in the same color.

I need to start brushing more. Wonderful thing about shell, the color tones change depending on where you view them. Quite jealous that your pair seems to have tones of red, and the shine is hard to believe is without wax. Just curious, what # out of 1000 do you have stamped behind the tongue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads