Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flokk

Flokk Active Member

I went to the Reston, VA and D.C. stores in the same day and got excellent service. I was dressed casually in some old loafers, a button down, and Levis...i.e, not resembling anybody that would be mistaken for having loads of cash to dump on pretty shoes. Both (young) salesmen were chatty, informative, and exceedingly understanding of my newly-minted graduate financial situation despite there being other (obviously much wealthier) customers in the store that they could have wandered over to instead.

The D.C. guy spent about 30 minutes with me just discussing my shoe interests and the shoes that he's sold to Congressmen, leaders of state, and well-to-do out of country visitors. Fascinating stuff actually. Nowhere in either interaction was there a hint of dismissal. Although I experienced some personal tragedy in having to walk away from cord Park Avenues which felt like heaven. :(

Then the prompt, polite, and effective service at the shoe bank and the main customer service line was was almost perplexing to me as a long-time East Coast resident. The shoes are great, but the service thus far has been impeccable.

2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

You make a good point. One of them was the store manager though. He/she is pretty recognized in the company and has even been in their videos online. If I can't get good service from a person at that level, then who?

Also, the stores were always empty when I went.

The LaSalle store actually had very friendly, affable salespeople--just not very good at sizing. I posted this pic a while back in this thread. They tried to sell me on these, saying they would stretch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

4. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Its like you are baking loaves of feet and they are rising mercilessly out of the shoepan

5. BCer

BCer Senior member

I haven't idea. I got mine on eBay, for a steal. They have a scratch on the tongue - can you see it? Didn't think so... I really love that shoe. Took them off when I got home and even commented to my wife (who has a real issue with my growing AE collection) "I think these are my favourite AE's". Look good, feel good, polish good...

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yes, many are at first, I know I was. Once you get a feel for what style and lasts you like best, you will become less compulsive and more strategic. A while back, someone requested pics of black shell Leeds. Here are mine at about 2 yrs old [​IMG]

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Best i can do for now... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks, CI. Keep me posted if you hear anything more about this Gwinnett.

Can you share what MTO you're doing? Sounds interesting. And congrats for being honored with an invite to their factory.

9. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Here are mine [​IMG]

10. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Silly question for you AE pro's.

I have the AE kenilworth and fifth avenue's for work purposes. I'm upgrading my casual shoe game, would you say that the McTavish and the Neumok would be classic styles? I don't want to purchase either pair and then 4 years down the road it turned out to be a trend.

Again sorry for the silly questions... Still a AE noob :nodding:

11. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

If it were me, I'd look at the McTavish first, and see above for a pic of my MacNeils, in Walnut Grain. Great shoes, can't say enough about the MacNeil J

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Excellent on both counts!

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

First, how did you find this site? They have a pretty descent selection at prices that are too good to pass up.

Second, let us know how they come. Im hoping they are legit- Proper box, shoe bags, and not scuffed up.

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

For a casual shoe, AE would certainly recommend the two you are looking at. I personally have the Neumok and love it… I am a big fan of Wingtips.

You can also look at the Ridgeway.

Take a look at the site below, they seem to have a pretty good selection of both the McTavish, Nuemok and the Elgins (another casual option). Just note they only carry D widths.

http://www.nowstyleshoes.com

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Not knowing how many times you will be wearing your "work shoes" each week, or how formally you dress for it, I'll hazard a recommendation for some nice penny and/or tassel loafers. This way, you may be able to reduce the number of times you wear each pair to 1x per week and greatly increase their longevity. These sorts of shoes can pull double-duty, may be dressy enough for work and casual enough for casual. Nothing wrong with the two you mentioned, just personal preference.

For me, casual shoes fall into 1 of 3 categories:

1) borderline casual/dress shoes (plain toe bluchers, longwing bluchers, tassel loafers, penny loafers; with denim, chinos, shorts or linens)

2) boat shoes (I know, been played out over the past few years, but I actually own a sailboat, and have raced sailboats for 30 years so I refuse to let that stop me from wearing them) if just hanging about (but I've also been known to break out some cordovan penny loafers here too)

3) running shoes / flip flops.

Edit, for example, I recently went on a trip to Florida. I wore cordovan tassel loafers and took golf shoes. The loafers were worn with everything from dress wool slacks to golf shorts, when not on the course.

Last edited: May 30, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.