1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Distinguished Member

Glad to know I'm not crazy or something, haha. I should have gone in wearing my Vibergs or Aldens instead.

I actually called up the Outlet store that I bought the shoes from in the first place and the associate on the line, while really busy, helped me tremendously. She explained things about sizing that I NEVER got from the retail stores--all within a few minute phone call! All I had to do was tell her my size on the brannock device and she was quick to offer advice about different sizes, and even told me about some odd-sizes they make limited shoes in, like 2E's.

No one ever told me this in my retail experiences. Instead, they gave me that "What are you doing here?" vibe.

The exchange was incredibly smooth. I told her I had never worn them outside and wanted an even exchange, and now she is processing it for me, UPS label included.

A single Outlet store associate was more helpful than the several retail employees and the main customer service email of Allen Edmonds!

2. pudman43

pudman43 Senior Member

Brown Cliftons today
    [​IMG]

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Looks good!

4. BCer

BCer Senior Member

Hahaha...you just answered a question I asked you in my second PM. Nice combo Pudman!

5. BCer

BCer Senior Member

[​IMG]

RL Saunders by Allen Edmonds today!

6. MoneyWellSpent

Very nice.

7. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

Those look great.

Last edited: May 30, 2013

8. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

Can someone explain the difference between a Split Reverse Welt (Neumok) and the welt on the Strand? (not sure what that welt is called)

Is there a functional benefit or just a different look?

9. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

The fit on my new Daltons is perfect, David. As is the fit on my two shell Daltons. As is the fit on my Long Branches. And the gap on all these boots is the same. I have Alden boots that have a similar gap. But I do have other boots where the gap is much less. MWS is quite right and I also don't regard that picture as anything representing the correct gap. What's important is how the boot fits and the gap is only one POSSIBLE indicator of fit. As MWS says, it's the way the Daltons are made; and other boots may have a different "average" gap width.

Also, IMO the gap is much more important and significant for bals than it is for bluchers.

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

At the risk of sending you on an odyssey you may not have the time or patience for, I must recommend that you read through the entirety of this thread. Almost every one of your questions will at some point be answered and you will have a more robust knowledge base and appreciation for Allen Edmonds footwear.

Now, as an answer to your question...

Many Brooks Brothers shoes are made by Allen Edmonds, so the quality of these is consistent with what has been discussed here previously.

11. MoneyWellSpent

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

In your defense, I had a similar experience with a SA at the AE store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago last December. I was wearing jeans, sweater, peacoat and Clark's Desert Boots. I wasn't given the time of day and when I was finally waited on, the attitude of SA was very dismissive, as if he knew he was wasting his time. If I had mentioned that I was a physician, I'm sure his tune would have changed. Alas, I simply walked out.

That said, I have never had anything but knowledgeable and courteous SAs at the AE store in New Orleans.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Those look awesome!!

My thought was the same as yours that the Gwinnett is on the 5 last and I hope to pick up a pair this fall. Then again I need a dark brown and black shell boot yet. Hmmm...

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

So got a call from the SWAT team late yesterday about a MTO that I'm requesting which is difficult to fill. But they are trying hard to do it, even to the point that they are going to talk to Skip Horween about it this week. I asked her to tell Skip to keep that shell flowing in the doors of AE and she laughed and said you bet!

She also said I must have a lot of pictures of my shoes on that Style site from some of the requests coming in from my friends there [​IMG]. And then she asked if I would like to come take a tour of the AE factory, recrafting center, Woodlore and the Handsewn last division across the street. You bet I would, in fact honored to is more like it! Booked hard for the next 7 weeks or so but looking forward to going when I can and it fits into their schedule.

15. shartmann

shartmann Senior Member

Maybe you could pull off a pre-order MTO, and have a shell version of the Gwinnett before it is even sold in stores? That would be impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.