1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pudman43

pudman43 Senior Member

Dark Brown Strands today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jim4

Jim4 New Member

I'm a newbie here, so please bear with me....if I'm normally a size 12, will I be a size 12 in AE's?

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

Hi Jim,

Your absolute best bet is to go get fitted. Either visit a local Nordstrom or better yet go to an Allen Edmonds retail location.

Shoes are built on different lasts and will certainly fit differently; so depending on which shoe you are looking it, you may be a completely different size than another.

4. Jim4

Jim4 New Member

Ok thanks. There's a store near my office (NYC) so I guess I'll just head over there. Also, do you guys get treads on them or go naked?

5. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior Member

Jim4 - If this helps at all, on the Brannock sizing device (old school metal device used to measure for many years) I come out at an 11.5 in length, between a D and E width-wise with a relatively high instep. On my AE shoes an 11.5D seems a bit long and narrow for me - on the #5 last they are especially narrow. After trying on multiple lasts it appears as though an 11E fits me much better than an 11.5D or 11.5E. Thus, I went a half size down in length and a size up in width. Lots of people here have done this, however, I would really encourage you to get fitted first before ordering any shoes. If there isn't an AE store near you simply go to a Nordstrom and try on a few pairs. And, also keep the slope of your instep in mind when getting sized. Lots of folks seem to forget about this.

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

LOL very well played indeed!

There is a flip side to that coin.... After more than 40 years of fly fishing I have almost as many fly rods as I do shoes and boots. A couple of years ago the g/f wanted to learn how to fly fish so I took some time to teach her then went to a pond that was just stocked with trout and she caught and released 30 fish in a couple of hours. I created a monster. She wants her own rods of course even though I have many and she currently has 4. Every time we go into a fly shop together she walks over to the rods and somehow picks up the most expensive one in the rack, jiggles it and announces she really would like it. The first time it happened I was tempted to say what about this nice little (and much cheaper) Cortland rod over here? But she now knows the difference and there is no turning back. Tight lines to you David.

7. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

I too live in NYC. I frequent the store on Madison and the one in Rockefeller Center. Being that this may be your first time, head over to the Rockefeller location. Its much bigger and will be a more comfortable experience. Liz, a sales associate there, is a great help.

Prefer the go naked approach.... always have. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2013

8. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior Member

Sooooo how narrow is B width? Because I just found a Dalton in 11 B at a really good price...

9. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior Member

If you are a D width, that will be too narrow

10. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior Member

You talking about that buy it now listing on eBay? Sweet price, shoes looks good too

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

12. crosswound

crosswound Distinguished Member

first even though i was at max width 3e it was tight so i think if i went with a D or a E no way my foot would have gotten in without creasing it. these shoes are beautiful but definitely made in mind of narrow feet.

sending them back thanks for all the help

13. Odradek

Odradek Senior Member

Being far far away from any Allen Edmonds store or Brannock device, I've printed out Allen Edmonds Shoe Fit Guide.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf

Has anyone used it and found the results accurate?

Had a quick go at sizing myself with it and it's telling me I'm a 8.5D in US sizes.
    This might explain why the one pair of AE shoes I do own, (Quinton), are slightly tight. They are 8D. Thought the length on them seems fine, it's the width that's tight.

My wife will probably be visiting the US later this year and I'd love her to pick me up one, (or maybe two) styles of shoe that you really can't find in Europe. Quintessential American classics, longwing bluchers, and nice saddle shoes.
    I'm thinking MacNeil and Shelton.

14. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior Member

gah. Why cant the daltons run big?!

Not at all. Nooooo >.>

Just kidding. I am. Sometimes Im hesitant to post about auctions in my size, but sounds like this isnt, so yeah. If anyone needs the link I can post or pm it. But its a pair of dark chocolate daltons in 11B for 90 bucks.

15. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior Member

Yeah they look sweet and for $90! A steal. Too bad they are not a 10D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.