Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brailly

brailly New Member

Thanks for the reply cbbuff! I'm a recent college grad so money is a little tight right now. I contemplated purchasing AE's from "allaboutshoes," but at the moment $250 is a little too rich for my blood. I can't tell what a really worn vs lightly worn sole looks like, but I'm glad you're saying it looks to be very light. I think I will be able to pick these up at around $80. On average, how long do the soles of AE's last before requiring repairs assuming moderate to frequent wear?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for that bit of info. I noticed that several widths were available and assumed that if they offer anything other than D, there must be an E width. But after further review, you are absolutely correct, they offer only narrow, D and EEE...no E. That's really too bad. Perhaps I oughta try the 10.5 EEE just for giggles. Edward will have to order it but now I am curious. It's such a great looking shoe with some nice details as REGuy pointed out.
    Walnut, not pebble grain, double leather sole, wingtip brogueing, blucher. Just about everything I was looking for.

However, Edward indicated that the calf pebble grain MacNeil will be $179 during the Feb sale. Anybody have some images of a well worn walnut macneil w/pebble grain?

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

That's really weird. I wonder if the lack of an E width is due to the fact the players' shoe was just on sale at Nordstrom for $200ish two weeks ago. Maybe it's a temporary inventory issue?

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

The Vinci really do look great JubeiSpiegel. A little too close to the Kenilworth for me to add to my collection, but where you couldn't get a pair of the Kenilworth to work for you...they seem like a natural, even finer looking, better made option. I'd love to get my hands on a pair to see if I could replicate the mirror toe. And as always, the Tresana is a wonderful shoe. I don't need much arm twisting to post a couple of images of my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the most recent image I have. I really should take some current ones. The images above are all about a year old (or more).

[​IMG]

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Could very well be. I wish I'd known about the sale. I'd have picked up a pair. Any idea when the next nordstrom sale is?

6. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I m afraid that might not be the case as I have been checking that shoe for quit a while, even before the short sale after Christmas. But it doesn't hurt to call up AE or Nordstrom to ask tho.

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I'll report back on the polishing soon. Just waiting on some matching polish to arrive. Might just try the AE brown in the meantime. The only thing I do miss is the burnished toe. Any way to replicate a similar look?

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Anybody else?

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I have the AE wax and it doesn't mirror very easily. Kiwi and Saphir are easier to get a mirror toe. As far as the burnishing, I'd try to use 3-4 coats of black cream polish on just the tip of the toe (just the tip...just to see how it feels :)) followed by black wax on the very end of the toe, like no more than an inch. It should give you a slightly darker toe and it won't turn the shoe black. However, they appear to be a very dark brown as is so any change will be very slight. I'd think that a mirror toe would be the best option to get them stand out in a crowd.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Uninteresting?? How dare you!! :)

:fence:

[​IMG]

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Nordstrom had the players' shoe on sale last July for the Anniversary sale, so that would be my guess.

12. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Senior member

Thinking of grabbing a pair of those walnut players shoes mainly to wear with denim? Anyone have an idea of this would look? Or would you recommend another AE shoe? Thanks

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

It is lighter than the picture suggests, a true medium brown compared to the dark brown of the Kenilworth. In the sunlight it really does look espresso brown. I'll work the black in slowly, thanks for the tip.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I always wondered how you polished the Kenilworths with the burnishing, whether you used black on the tip and brown everywhere else. Very interesting. You're at a point where you should have your own thread to answer polishing/shoe care questions.

15. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i have the walnut Strand and its pretty good looking with jeans/chinos/suits. so I think the players should do the same!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.