1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tv2177

tv2177 Distinguished Member

good info guys. thanks. that's how i felt when i tried on the players. the 11D is just a little bit tight but not so tight that I will complaint. I have already email Edward and see if he can mail me that 11D tmrw in exchange of the brown 5th Ave. I think that 11D up in Freeport is pretty close to flawless as well.

Do they make E width on the players? I only see B, D, and EEE on Nordstrom.

Do y'all think the players will still look good with a dark brown color?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

2. jslade

jslade Distinguished Member

Bump as this was overlooked. :D Can anybody provide some advice?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

3. tv2177

how did you size? mine fits perfect, no heel slide at all.

4. jslade

jslade Distinguished Member

I went with a 9.5D, and am a 9.5D on the Brannock device. So very much true to size. :)

I'm getting a little bit of heel slip, but I've gotten heel slip in the past with my Aldens. However, the heel slip that I've gotten in the past has almost always diminished with a few times wear, and I was just wondering whether or not I can expect the same from my AE Strands. If not, I should probably return them and go a half size down?

Thanks in advance for the help!

5. tv2177

i sized down from 11D -> 10.5E but other members on this board went TTS on the 5 lasts, so if you have spare money my best suggestion is to order another pair of 9E and try on and pick the one you like with the best fit and return the other.

6. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior Member

I don't think so. I've found that most shoes, if anything, loosen up, not tighten up. You can try doubling up socks like someone recommended, but it really depends on how much slip you have.

Maybe try a 1/2 size down in a local store or Nordstroms?

7. rennavate

rennavate Distinguished Member

I'm the opposite. A 5-lasted Strand in 9D fits me great, but a Executive 2-lasted Lombard in 9D was too narrow, so I had to sell it; a 9E probably would've been perfect. Although with time I don't doubt that the 9D Lombard would've stretched a bit.

8. brailly

brailly New Member

I don't have a very big budget, but I've been looking at getting a used pair of AE's. I don't know if this is asking too much, but is it possible to get an impression of how worn a pair of used shoes are from looking at pictures? I'd really appreciate any input from you guys. Looking at these pictures would these shoes need any work? Ballpark figures, what would you be willing to pay?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. contactdo

contactdo Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, I read this on the blog Dappered. Piperlime has some Allen Edmonds on sale with an extra 20% off with the code NEWYOU. There are some brown Kenilworths in 10 1/2 and 11, and they come out to about $180 after the 20% off and tax. The code worked as of last night, but I haven't checked today.

10. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

I'm looking for some more shoes in the 5 or 1-511 last. I've already got a black Park Ave, a walnut Strand, and a brown Fifth Ave. Any recommendations? The Kenilworth is uninteresting and the Sanford, while nice, is basically a Strand-lite.

11. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Senior Member

5 - Cambridge or McTavish (black)
    1-511 - Dalton (dark chocolate)

I'd personally go with the Dalton.

12. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Distinguished Member

13. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, I'm waiting for another sale on the shell Dalton's. That McTavish in Tan looks kind of interesting. Don't think I like that contrast outsole in the black.

14. cbbuff

cbbuff Distinguished Member

Those look very lightly used. You see very little heel wear and most of the outsole is still unmarked. The uppers look fine, just normal creasing from wear (which I presume you would do anyway). I would guess 4-8 wears outside on them. You can check completed listing on ebay for a good comparison, but given that you can get them new for $245 here http://www.styleforum.net/t/263225/...acneil-shell-cordovan-all-models-colors-sizes, I would guess anything under $200 is good, anything close to $150 is great.

Good Luck.

15. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Senior Member

TBH I don't really like walnut, it doesn't go with most of the clothes I have. I find myself rarely using my walnut Strands lately (I wear suits about 75% of the time).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.