Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

That walnut shell looks outstanding! I should be receiving my first pair of walnut shell AE's today or tomorrow. Hopefully they end up looking as good as your Dundees.

2. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

You're talking about general sizing on the Brannock? That's not a bad idea. There's no actual AE stores where I live, just partner stores so I'm doubtful that the SA's would know the AE last sizing/fit enough to recommend one, that and I plan to order online as no one local carries inventory in my size and the stock pricing is crazy up here never mind special orders.

Thanks very much for your feedback, I hadn't even considered ball measurement (there's a joke in there somewhere) but you have a good point. As far as the different widths of my feet, they're both the same actual width, but the relative letter varies depending if I step down to a 14 (D) or up to a 15 on the border between D and C... which would you choose? I'm thinking of going for the C with expectation that the leather would stretch slightly vs being on the narrow end of D where it might be a bit loose given the length. I've had other shoes where my foot moves around a bit and it wears through the lining.

Thanks for your help.

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Well the OptoDoc Method is squashed before it ever got up and running. I hit the coffee stained boot with AE conditioner/cleaner last night, let it sit for 15 minutes, brushed it, then washed it with soap and water. I let it dry and then applied C/C to both shoes liberally and let them dry overnight. There is no discernable difference in color between the shoes this morning. I think my wiping the shoe with soapy water as soon as I could after the incident helped prevent the coffee from soaking into the leather too deep (that and the fact that I regularly condition and polish the boots).

I still thank it is feasible to dye leather with coffee, though, and may try it in the future on some old hiking boots.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have that exact shoe - the bourbon looks great on that shoe. I also have the Bourbon Manistee - I really like that belt. I would say you have a great combo there. I believe the Flatiron is on the new 3-333 last which I found to fit well on my foot. Chris

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Ain't gonna lie, it took everything I had to not go there with regard to "ball measurement".

Based on what you've said, I think a 15C is probably your best bet... but again would earnestly advise spending two minutes confirming that with a Brannock device. :nodding: That said, if you're going with a Park Avenue or other 5 last shoe, the D width will probably work better.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

These looks great! I like the light edge trim on them. Nice shine on them as well

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Very nice!

8. MoneyWellSpent

Looking good.

9. MoneyWellSpent

I really like the Dark Brown ones. [​IMG]

10. MoneyWellSpent

I agree with everyone above, they don't look bad at all. At that price, you have a great deal on your hands.

11. MoneyWellSpent

This isn't likely to help much if any. What the others said above about seeing if they have another pair your could gamble and exchange them with is perfectly valid, and it is pretty effortless. I've gone through something like that before, and while it is frustrating, it can be worth it if you fear not being happy with your shoes in the long run.

12. MoneyWellSpent

Those look great!

13. MoneyWellSpent

Yes, they can do that.

14. MoneyWellSpent

Absolutely amazing looking pair of Chukka's. [​IMG]

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

This sounds off and I think there must be more to the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.