Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Keep in mind there are times when black shoes are the appropriate choice with a navy suit. If I'm going out at night in my navy suit, I often reach for my black cap toes. There are also occasions in the business world where the occasion calls for black shoes with a navy suit. There are certain hearings or meetings where I would feel uncomfortable attending in brown shoes.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Black shoes with Navy suit is the proper conservative business attire. Navy suit with walnut shoes you will look like an idiot in a proper business atmosphere.

4. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I hate seeing no love for the black shoe. I have two black shell and love them . With black pants and charcoal

5. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Navy Tux with black shoes, right?

Why NOT navy suit with black shoes?

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Because you'll look like a walking briuse.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

Michael all I wear is the black shoes, its only recently that I started to consider non-black. What is the quality like of Allen Edmonds shirts?

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

[​IMG]

That's the exact description my wife uses! She was the only person I had ever heard say that.

I don't have a dog in this fight, personally, however.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

What do you think of Allen Edmonds shirts?

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

You guys in the States are lucky with all the factory outlets and second deals floating around. No excuse not to have a few pairs of variety. hrmm I need to sweet talk someone at AE into exporting me some of those seconds :p

11. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Black finishes disguise the beauty of the leather, and black shoes are a less flexible wardrobe element. I don't own a proper pair of black shoes and have been debating whether my next purchase would the a pair of Graysons, Manchesters, or Jermyns in that color. I then realized (a) that all of these shoes look much better in merlot, (b) I would get far more use of any of these shoes in merlot, and (c) my old Florsheim wingtips in Merlot and older leather-soled army "oxfords" (i.e. bluchers) in black covered all of my conservative bases. If I had to wear dark suits more regularly, I'd probably buy the 5th Avenues in black--but I don't. (Inexplicably, I am drawn to the Dundees in black, but they are so expensive that neither I nor my wife have to worry about me giving into temptation.)

12. GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet New Member

Hi, I just received a pair of chocolate suede RL saunders from shoebank and don't notice any flaws, but I have a concern after trying it on. The heel doesn't seem to lay flat on the floor when I put it on, kinda gives a rocking chair feel, is this normal for a pair of chukka?

Also the shoes are snug fit when I don't wear socks and a little tight when wearing thin dress socks, will it stretch out after a few wears? Don't really wear shoes without socks all too much.

Thanks in advance!

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have some AE corrected grain shoes (I believe they used the term "polished cobbler") I purchased in the 1990's and they look great. I don't have a problem with corrected grain - granted it might not have the depth and character of the regular calf, but it still looks good in my opinion. I don't feel bad about wearing my corrected grain AE's - I don't look at them as lesser shoes.

Chris

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The simple answer is that there are many shades of brown and only one shade of black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.