Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

All of this military talk is making me reconsider my decision not to become an Air Force optometrist right out of school. If I had, I'd currently be debt free and included in this most wonderful of brotherhoods. Also, I think I'd look pretty sharp in the uniform [​IMG]

I thank you all for your past and present service.

On a more shoe related note, my bourbon McAllisters from the last sale are taking forever to arrive. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Sorry accidental post

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

In vietnam "brown boots "meant you were that much closer to returning to "the world "

4. denverbizman42

denverbizman42 Member

I can relate to your situation, OptoDoc. It took over 2 months to get my rutledges. Was an awful long wait. But when they finally arrived, was worth the wait! I wish I had the Mcallister in Bourbon.

I'm going to shine up my Rutledges and try to post some pics here this week.

5. paperfire

paperfire Member

nevermind

6. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Allen Edmonds has the Brook Brother's Strands 2nds on sale, black, brown, and walnut, at $159 during Memorial Day Sale. Those are $365 regular price. I bought a pair last time. I knew they'd look great, but was surprised how exceptionally comfortable they were.

CH

7. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Can anyone comment on the Brooks Brothers strand in dark brown? In the picture on the BB website, they have this awful sheen to them, and I cant find in person pictures via google search. I ended up going with brown sandersons because they looked better in the pics, but Im wondering if I should order the strands too and just return whichever ones I dont like

8. denverbizman42

denverbizman42 Member

I have those in brown. I'll take a picture and upload it so you could see.

9. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Then again, those look pretty sweet. I'll concede this one.

10. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

i would do the fifth ave in dark brown, burgundy, or merlot.
    and i agree with the walnut mcallisters.

you already have a pair of black shoes, get a dark brown, burgundy, or merlot shoe

11. rickrone

you just need some time. i thought i was a 10.5 D, but measured a 10D. tried on a 10D and wanted 10E. has to much space in the toe box, then tried 9.5E, didn't feel right. so i purchased the 10D, after a whole day of wearing it, the next day my foot fit perfectly. 10D was what i measured, 10D is the perfecct size. it is ok to have it feel snug at first, because it is going to loosen up over time.

12. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

So you will have 3 shoes in the end, a pair of black cap toes and then these two AEs? For the two AEs, have you considered getting one in dark brown and one in burgundy? Each of those (black, dark brown, burgundy) would look good with medium grey, charcoal, and navy, whereas walnut might be pushing it with charcoal, depending on the environment.

13. rickrone

yes, in low light you can't tell. in the day just match your belt and one other piece (pocket square, tie, or shirt)

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Can't wait to see them. I will definitely own Rutledges sometime in the future. What color did you get?

15. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

Thanks for your comments denverbizman42 and AmericanGent.

Now, getting back to the shoes...

I have exchanged voice mails with the "StyleForum Team" about a custom order, but haven't connected yet. I'm thinking of getting something in one of the lighter shell colors, either walnut or cappuccino. There are a lot of interesting possibilities and I'm sure it will be hard to settle on one, but I'm thinking of choosing between:

Wingtip: McAllister
    Cap-toe: Strand or maybe the Clifton
    Plain toe: Dundee or Leeds

I was originally thinking of the cappuccino McAllister, but I just purchased a walnut Jefferson so my wingtip collection is now getting pretty large. So now I'm thinking about a cappuccino Strand, with an outside thought of the Clifton as I really like the profile of that shoe. And of course Cold Iron's Dundee collection is amazing, so that is on my short list too (just one though, not an entire fleet!). Looks like I will be in a second round or orders, so hopefully I can benefit from pictures posted from other's custom orders. Should be a fun process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.