Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Did not mean to denigrate anyone's service. Thanks for your service and sacrifice. I have a few military members in my family (mostly retired).

I had to google "corfam" as I didn't know what that was. When I saw them, I didn't know it was a synthetic material. I thought the military always did patent leather.

Being in the tech consulting/govt contracting business, I see a lot of ex military come and go and they stick out esp. with the casual like atmosphere of the work environment. They are always ramrod straight and are sharply pressed with excessively shiny shoes. A lot of yessirs and yes maams. My advice was to slouch a little and try to fit in more. I guess old habits die hard, if ever. Thanks, again.

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I am going to suggest burgundy McAllister and walnut (or bourbon) Strands.

Chris

3. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

BTW, if you do decide on another black pair, like you, I happen to like the Strand in black as well. The other black shoes are boring to me. Once I discovered merlot / burgundy I figured that was the way to go. If I need a pair of black captoe I'll wait for a great sale or get a less expensive brand just to have.

4. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I went with merlot and walnut both in the McAllister but that's because I happen to like a wingtip and AE recently had a sale on McAllisters so I couldn't pass it up. Another poster just suggested merlot McAllister and bourbon Strands. I like the bourbon a lot in the Strand. It's a nice classy brown shoe but not too dark brown. The walnut in the Strand is striking however. I would go to a store if there's one near you because they look different in person than online.

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I wear 10D in PA/Strands but a 9.5D in McTavish. So yes, you would have to go with a 7E.

6. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

None of the services (to my knowledge) dictates the wear of plastic shoes ("corfram," BTW seems to be a corruption of DuPont's proprietary Corfam synthetic leather). Most PX/BX stores carry Bates shoes, which are available in leather and plastic. Almost no one in the military wears real patent leather because it is too expensive (I bought a pair Mayfairs for my tux and will wear them with my dress mess, as well). Junior enlisted are often prohibited from wearing plastic so they can go through the ritual of having to learn to shine shoes (and being told repeatedly that they're not good enough), but come time for parade or other D&C events the plastic shoes are often preferred. Servicemembers who have to wear low-quarters on a daily basis often eschew the plastic shoes because they are sweltering foot saunas. The military today has moved away from shining shoes and boots because it has had far more important things to worry about. In a few years, the garrison mindset and attendant chickens**t will no doubt return, flattering Kiwi's fortunes a little bit. Outside black jump boots as dress uniform items for select units, shineable combat boots are gone forever.

No offense to the OP of this mini-thread, but I would discourage putting a high-gloss shine on any AE save the Mayfairs (which come with one). What looks good/right in uniform often appears quite different out of it (and vice versa). Military dress trousers should have no break at all, whereas other trousers are supposed to have a moderate break. Sleeve length on military dress jackets is also much longer than it ought to be on a civilian coat or jacket. Finally, it's possible to have long hair and a beard and be impeccably groomed--and professional looking--on the outside. If you want a high-gloss shine on a pair of Strands, more power to you, but I don't think it would look right.

Last edited: May 20, 2013

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Suede boots?! Sigh... I never would let anyone wear those ugly corfam’s in the Engineering spaces nor firefighting, can you imagine how long it would take for those plastic things to melt on your feet if a Class Bravo fire broke out? Another thing that a paste wax provides that creams and less polished shoes doesn’t is protection. I can just wipe off my polished calf after being exposed to snow and rain and am good to go until I get home to take proper care of them. On the other hand my casual dress work days consist of a jacket and tie and that makes a difference too in what shoes I wear. A few days back I posted a picture of a pair of boots that are 30 years old and spent the first 10 years being exposed to jet fuel, diesel fuel marine, fires, firefighting foam and agents, hydraulic fluids, and salt water. I wore them this last weekend cutting downed trees and branches in the yard from the last snowfall with the chainsaw because they have steel toes. Even though they are made by the cheapest bidder they keep on ticking because they have been well cared for. Not long ago I read an article that shell can last up to 30 years. I sure hope so LOL.

8. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Ordered from Jefferson outlet on friday, havent received any emails and it doesnt look like Ive been charged yet...should I call them back to confirm?

Edit: Kristle called me and said the only chukkamok seconds left had a small stain of what might be grease on the toebox, but that I can keep it at a discount if its not too bad so Ill give it a try. If its not grease I might be able to get it out...any suggestions?

9. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Many of us have switched from the AE brands to the Saphir Brands. A mirror polish is easily achievable with your military discipline using the Saphir Brand products and recommended process:

[​IMG]
    SAPHIR MIRROR SHINE

As seen in the reflection of the toe, the Saphir Tin.

More here:

http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/high-gloss-vs-matte-patina.html

and

http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/presidential-shoe-shine.html

10. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

Great post AmericanGent. I know the Corframs were supposed to be easier to maintain, but I was never able to get myself to wear them. I didn't like the shine and the fit was even worse, and wearing a stiff pair of plastic shoes just felt odd. You are correct that some things stick with you. I still wear a white cotton t-shirt every day, my hair rarely touches my ears, and I like all-leather shoes -- and I've been out of the Navy for over 15 years. I still try to keep my shoes inspection ready, and although I don't really desire a mirror shine on my shoes it's nice to know I could do it.

11. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

I am in a similar situation.

Purchased a pair of McAllisters in walnut recently. Then I saw the merlot color in person and it's quite sexy.

Now I cannot decide on which color; merlot that is versatile with other colors or walnut that is only good with practically navy and grey.

Is it okay to wear merlot with black pants?

12. denverbizman42

denverbizman42 Member

Shartmann,

I think it's awesome you still pay attention to all of those details. I really always looked up so much to those in the military in my home town. There was an automatic amount of respect that was given to those who were representing and defending our Country. And then to see the attention to detail in every way, just really I think inspired me and others to try to live up to that standard too. So really just a thanks.

13. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I've enjoyed the chat! My dad was in the Navy too and he had me shining my shoes before church when I was 10! He was only in the Navy for 4 years during Vietnam, but he has kept his shoes, hair, mustache, everything- inspection ready ever since. It changes you, and that's OK.
    I don't want to side-track the thread any longer, but I appreciate everyone's positive, gentlemanly replies. That's why this is my favorite thread. Well, that and Cold Iron's shell pics!

Back to the shoes!

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thank you for the compliment AG. I too started polishing my father's shoes when I was about 10, it was my job every Saturday night. My father wasn't able to get in the military because he lost a kidney at a fairly young age boxing but always wanted to join.

Not to keep this too far off track but I am going to have to send you another care package. When I was on recruiting duty (not much for a pit snipe to do on land) back in the mid 80's in Pa. I picked up some posters that I have been carrying around since. And I give them out to the people that understand them. I'll send you one and anyone else that served in the Navy and so did their father, just send me a PM

[​IMG]

15. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I was in the USMC from 1999-2003. We still had leather boots which which were expected to be mirror polished but for dress uniforms we had the plastic shoes. As I was leaving they were switching to the suede boots. I imagine kiwi took a big hit when this happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.