Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

This term comes from the British military. To "Bull" is to push- so you are forcing the polish into the leather.
    In the U.S. Navy we just do a "spit-shine", but it's essentially the same thing. Many light layers of polish and then finished with a little bit of spit to smooth out the finish. Some also use cold water on a cotton ball.

2. paperfire

paperfire Member

Hello everyone, I am starting full-time work next month and will be buying 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds and I need advice on which to buy. At work, I will be wearing gray, charcoal and navy suits. Currently, I have a pair of plain black captoes so formal occasions are covered.

For my work shoes, I am looking at a black pair and a walnut pair. For the black pair I like the strand, and for the walnut pair I like the mcallisters. What do you guys think I should buy?

3. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I would try either a half size down or keep the length but drop the width. I wear a 10E in the 5 last but my 10d mctavish fit very well.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Great boots!

5. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

I'd just like to add to the consensus that different models fit differently even if made on the same last. I posted about 10 pages ago about my right toe feeling pressure in the mcallister in 13B but I tried the strand in the same size and didn't have a problem.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  6. AmericanGent

Thanks for you service. I've been in for 15 years now- worn leathers the whole time and I have taken a match to my shoes many times. I used a heat gun years ago and the shine was amazing. I understand your reluctance to apply heat to your AEs. I won't do it either.

+1

I agree that AE polish will not get the high-gloss you are looking for. I used it on my calf cap toes and was not impressed.

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I found that the McTavish fits a half size largeer.

8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Working from home today but wearing my new McAllisters so that I can break them in before a conference in a few weeks where I'll be on my feet all day. How many wears for you guys before they feel somewhat broken in? My other McAllisters took about a dozen.

[​IMG]

9. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Thanks for the replies. My TTS is 8D so for the McAllister we went to 7.5E as most have commented is normal. So, on the McTavish I'd go down even lower than that to 7E or 7.5D? My McAllisters are snug so maybe I'll stick with the same size 7.5E and see how that goes. I can go try them on of course but I'm looking at a few from the outlets. I have a good relationship with the SA from my local store and I've bought two pair from him recently but I feel bad going in to try on shoes that I know I will just turn around and buy from the outlet or Amazon.

10. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

What about a burgundy (merlot) pair instead of the black? You have the black covered with the captoes you already own. I just picked up a pair of merlot McAllister and find that they go with everything. You can wear them with your gray and charcoal suits and go with the walnut for the navy. Merlot and burgundy are available in other AE models as well. I also have a pair of walnut McAllister and I love them and they look great with navy. I will warn you however that they are a little "flashy". If your office environment is more conservative you may want to keep that in mind. Mine is not and I can get away with it and get comments all the time on the walnut.

11. AmericanGent

Coolarrow, I know your comment was made with respect to the OP, so don't take this in the wrong way. After 22yrs of service Shoeluv has surely earned the right to "slouch a little". I'm just going to present the other side of the coin.

It's true- no one is grading him- but having a high gloss shine is a point of pride for us. We have spent many many hours over many many years getting our shoes to look the way they do. It is something that is not easy to let go.

(Now days most people wear plastic corfam shoes, and the USN now offers suede boots. I still wear polished leather boots.
    The USMC have zero polishable shoes now- no leather boots - no leather dress shoes. I think the Army is all plastic now too.
    I'm an old-timer now so I still wear my original boot camp issued leathers - I get many comments on my shoes and they look better than any corfam.)

It's just an old-school military thing.

To the Shoeluv's point- I used heat to bake my wax and now it's just upkeep. I don't think I'd hit my AEs with a lighter, so I'd go with lots of light layers of Kiwi over many days. Apply and wait 30min- do another layer, etc.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  12. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I never had the rubbing noise in the first place and was surprised by the softness of the leather under the strap. I can only say two critical things about the Franciscans: the heel in the E width is a bit too wide (which is more of a concern in a laceless shoe than otherwise) and the overall length of the shoe takes some getting used to. I haven't worn western boots in years, but these feel less like loafers than the most comfortable pair of boots I've owned. If you're not mindful of the extended toe, it's easy to catch it on a step or the curb.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That's a sad end to a long-standing tradition of boot care.

14. paperfire

paperfire Member

Thanks for the reply. I do like the idea of the getting burgundy instead of black; my only concern was matching the charcoal suit with proper color shoes. My office isn't too conservative so the walnut would be fine. I really like the mcallisters, would you advice getting both burgundy and walnut mcallisters or getting a different design?

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The nice thing about burgundy is that it looks fantastic with every conventional suit color except black (and it can be argued that black suits have no place in the workplace). Charcoal suit, white shirt, navy tie, burgundy shoes and belt? Doesn't get much classier than that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.