• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MWS and KMD well said.
No shell today, rainy and cold but at least it isn't snow :) so wearing the Wilbert's today. They have never seen polish or cream, just AE leather lotion and Bicks 4 which are pretty much identical. They have seen at least 6 winters in Mn. and see the worst weather outside of my boots.

Persedye

Reaction score
How does this sound as a start to my shoe wardrobe?

I currently have black Cliftons and just ordered burgundy Mcallisters in current sale. In a future sale, I will pick up a pair of walnut shoes probably Strands.

Sound good?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much welt damage is acceptable on a second? Aesthetically it doesn't bother me, but I'm worried this regent street might fall apart down the line. What say ye?

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

I currently have black Cliftons and just ordered burgundy Mcallisters in current sale. In a future sale, I will pick up a pair of walnut shoes probably Strands.

Sound good?

Going walnut on the next pair would be a good idea. Can't go wrong with strands.

Do you remember the final price you paid for the Mcallisters?

Fabian43

Reaction score
Any feedback on the Franciscans? I'm thinking they might be the walnut pair I need. Online reviews complain of a rubbing noise caused by the strap. I'd wear them with slacks and a tie. Only loafers I have are the Westchesters so I like the idea of adding another one.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The AE for BB shoes are recraftable. It is the RL shoes that are not. The AE Italian line can be recrafted but not with the original Italian soles.

I have never looked into whether any AE for BB or AE for RL are recraftable, so I have no opinion on the matter. I have no such models (I have tried on the BB ones and am not a big fan of the padded insole). There seems to be a variety of opinons on the subject, but obviously the esteemed Cold Iron knows much about AE.

Just use BNelson in NYC if you find they are not recraftable. For 125 you can get JR soles and very quality work. This is not a knock on AE's recraft dept. - indeed, I shoud have two pairs arriving from them anyday now.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much welt damage is acceptable on a second? Aesthetically it doesn't bother me, but I'm worried this regent street might fall apart down the line. What say ye?

Cosmetically id doesn't bother me and in the long term I'm not sure if it will have to much effect. I'm not a shoe expert though.

Sound good?

Depends on what you need to wear them for. You don't really have any formal shoes.

disagree. I find the 8 longer and narrower than the 5.

Disagree and agree with Quadcammer here. I think the 5 last is narrower in the ball and is longer by a smidge. The 8 last does have a smaller toe box though.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AE for BB shoes are recraftable. It is the RL shoes that are not. The AE Italian line can be recrafted but not with the original Italian soles.

Thanks Cold Iron. That cognac looks just about right. On a related note, is there anywhere with free shipping on Saphir products? Hanger project used to provide free shipping when you spent $50, but they've raise that to $75 now. Not really keen on paying $10 to ship a $20 jar of polish.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cosmetically id doesn't bother me and in the long term I'm not sure if it will have to much effect. I'm not a shoe expert though.
Depends on what you need to wear them for. You don't really have any formal shoes.
Disagree and agree with Quadcammer here. I think the 5 last is narrower in the ball and is longer by a smidge. The 8 last does have a smaller toe box though.

Aren't your 8 last shoes suede, which might make them seem wider? I ask because there is no way the 5 last is narrower at the ball of the foot. I measured out of curiosity and my 8 last Delrays are a full 0.25 inch narrower at the ball of the foot than both of my 5 last shoes (PA and Strands).

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is $130 + shipping a reasonable price for used allen edmonds park avenue captoes in black?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is $130 + shipping a reasonable price for used allen edmonds park avenue captoes in black?

You could probably score new seconds for around that price as well. Just a thought guess it would depend on condition.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To me, welts and soles are replaceable wear items, so unless the damage is really severe, I would live with it. They will both be replaced upon recrafting, anyway. It's like a scuff on a car's tire versus a dent in the body.

Also, these being seconds, there is going to be something wrong with them. The trick is to find defects you can live with, and your next pair will have something wrong with them, too.

But in the end, you have to happy with your purchase. Nothing wrong with returning them if they bother you.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where to find seconds? i've been only looking at ebay for a used pair. thanks bespoken pa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads