1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I will say that the pictures here look more promising though (although they are a bit dark)! [​IMG]

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-allen-edmonds-strand-brogue-suede-p_id313852

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue, and I hope that they do have the traditional leather insole. I realize that AE's photos can be incorrect. The pair in this link also shows a normal Dainite sole, whereas the photo on AE's website shows some strange hybrid version (which I didn't like as much either).

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^
    I'll take pics of the shoes in person today to confirm the insole and report back.

In other news might have to pick up a pair of cordovan Leeds, I wonder if any cordovan Dundees are out there?

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Not trying to argue either, I'm just confused. I really want these shoes, so I'd like to know.

4. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

5. MoneyWellSpent

That would be fantastic JS!

My hopes from my post above were just dashed when I found this pic on Amazon [​IMG]:

[​IMG]

That's Poron without a question.

6. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

I just received my MTO cappuccino Strands. So if these are cappuccino and not brown as it states on the AE site, I could have got them even cheaper through the web gem. I asked Allison on this and she said they were brown, and that the cappuccino was all reserved for Style Forum orders. They do look more like cappuccino in the picture at Ivy Style though.

7. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I think it is the same brown as always. There is only one listing for cordovan strand on the site and it is brown. If there were two colors available for the strand, they should both be listed. The Brown has always been available, and that is what is there now.

8. MoneyWellSpent

I would imagine so.

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Just got off the phone with the Jeffersonville, OH outlet, confirming my order.

For those fence-sitters on the cordovan deal: Yes, shell seconds for $299, and yes, this is a limited time deal. Until stock runs out or 4 days is what I was told. This kind of price doesn't come around much, so if you are even considering, now is the time.

10. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Do you guys put shoe trees in your calf daltons? I got some woodlore ones from nordstrom rack yesterday. They fit in all of my shoes except the Daltons. I'm not sure if it's because the height of the Daltons makes it too hard to fit in, or if it's because mine are 10B. My other shoes are 9.5 D, and they fit the trees fine.

11. MoneyWellSpent

You definitely want to keep trees in your Daltons. Cross reference the sizing chart to make sure you have the right size. Inserting them into taller boots does take some getting used to.

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Purple suede Strands were a webgem a while ago. Here's how they look in person:
    http://www.polyvore.com/special_edition_webgem_purple_suede/thing?id=78488746

13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^it took me twice as long as shoes to get trees in my boots the first time I tried. They'll go in. I have the same trees and when the "toe part" is bent too much it won't allow the back to slide into it.

14. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

My TTS is 8E and that's what I've been wearing in the 1-last Shelton and they seem to fit well. I also wear 7.5EE on the 5-last McAllister. I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of calf Daltons (used) in 7.5EEE (1-last) and I'm wondering if they run the same or if others have tried this and what their experience was. I can't return them if they don't fit but I'm able to get them for a good price so wondering what others think. I've been following this thread closely and agree that a good price does not make up for a poor fit. Just looking for others' experience with this boot compared to other AE shoes and your sizing. Thanks!

15. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

I wear 8.5E on the 5-last and 9D on the 1-last, what size should I go for in the randolph and patriot loafers in their cordovan variants (cordovan makes the sizing a tad bigger right)?
    I really want a pair of corodvan loafers and don't want to be disappointed because of sizing issues :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  16. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I would go with 9D if you plan on wearing the loafers with socks. The patriots are much shorter than the 5 last shoes of the same size.

17. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Thanks guys, for the advice on trees in Daltons. I managed to get them in, but the inserts don't make it all the way to the end of the toe box. I think it's because the shoes are narrow. I'm going to leave them like that for now and see if I can find some narrow trees.

18. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

FYI I think there is only one guy working at the Riverhead (NY) store, so unless you know exactly what you want he will not be able to provide a list until later in the day.

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^none of my trees make it all they way to the end of the toe box. I don't think any trees will. They are a generic shape. Besides that I don't think they are supposed to or need to.

20. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I'm on the fence about the webgem Jefferson in brown shell. I want to get it and probably will but i'm curious about something. I have AE shoes in brown shell and in cappuccino shell and I prefer the cappuccino better. Regardless of what AE says the pictures of the webgems look more cappuccino than brown. I wonder if I can use the AE SF MTO to get the webgem Jeffersons in the cappuccino instead of the brown. I'm going to email Allison to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.