Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The outlet stores and the AE retail stores are not the same and have different sales. The SA was telling you the truth for AE retail stores and likely had no clue the outlets have a sale on seconds.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Nice! And have a safe journey :)

Maiden voyage with my Townley's today. Early morning start so no bright sun to highlight them. But haze gray brown and underway anyhow:
    [​IMG]

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Beautiful shoes!

4. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Can anyone comment on the brown grain Malvern? Id like a chukka and got really excited when I looked up the model, but then I realized the seconds sale is only for the brown grain model, whereas the standard brown is the decidedly better looking one :( why do manufacturers even bother with grain? Isnt it just an embossed pattern?

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I personally like the look for more casual boots and shoes.

6. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    You can check to see if the Shoe Bank has the Ralph Lauren Saunders in your size. It's a two (or three?) eye chukka that comes in tan, brown, black and suede.

7. Flokk

Flokk Active Member

Checked in for stuff in my size at the shoe bank--seems there's an additional 15% off right now.

Snagged seconds in Macneil, Kenilworth (not optimistic about these), Rapid City, and Black Hills, just to mix it up in business casual. Fingers crossed. Shirley answered and was extremely helpful.

8. BCer

BCer Senior member

[​IMG]

Like these! RL Saunders w/2 eyes. Off the bay with tiny flaw...love them!

9. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Curious how these fit? Are they narrow or roomy? Any need to size up compare to other AE shoes?

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I, too, have some Shelton seconds on the way. Firsts are $345 and seconds are usually $269. This is the standard ~22% off for seconds. With 15% off for the Memorial Day Sale, they'd be $228.65 pretax.

However, seconds for the Brooks Brothers versions of the Shelton (or any other BB shoe) are currently only $159 pretax, so that's what I got. It looks like BB Sheltons are usually $199 unless they're the Tan Saddle version (same leather as the "Tan Saddle Waxy Leather" Elgin) which go for $179.

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

For comparison, here's a picture of my burgundy shell Kenilworth's with a single sole that I'm wearing today.

[​IMG]

I almost took my Townley's out for a maiden voyage, as well, but my right pinky toe was hurting in them. I should probably wear them around the house a little more before I scuff 'em up.

Actually, this right pinky toe pain is pretty common for me in different pairs of shoes, so I assume (but haven't measured) that my right foot is more of an E than a D. Should I consider getting a shoe stretcher and target just where that toe hits in my various pairs of shoes? I feel like just a couple of millimeters would make a world of difference.

12. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

To all my fellow Canadian shoe maniacs:
    http://www.leatherfoot.com/ opened shop in Toronto.
    They carry a very high quality footwear selection, but most important (and AE thread related) they carry Saphir products.
    As an example, Renovateur Medaille D'or is 20 dollars.
    I saw that there are some shipping costs, but if you are in town, it is definitely worth a visit.
    Ciao,
    Max

EDIT: and of course, after I posted this, I realized that leatherfoot is one of the sponsors of this site.
    Isn't that ironic....

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  13. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

The Saunders are definitely more narrow than most AE lasts. I have been wearing mine now for a couple months now and they are definitely cramped even with the breakin compared to my other AE shoes. Def TTS or up in width.

14. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

These fit pretty narrow and long. I found it to be a very Italian style pointy-toe. I wear 9.5E in Strands/PA and ordered 9.5E in Saunders, but I think a 9 EEE may have been a better choice.

15. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

I saw that, unfortunately the saunders are only available in tan and black. The tan is alright but I would prefer a darker brown as it is more versatile so Im holding out for now.

Is that 15% off, say, the 159 for the brooks seconds models? I emailed the shoe bank and they gave me a price list but it didnt mention anything about 15% off. Is there a way I can get in touch with them over the phone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.