• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in an AE Full-Retail store this past weekend and they told me there wasn't a Memorial Day sale going on. Not sure if they were just saying that to make me buy something then, or if thats the truth.

I told them I knew the Shoebanks were having a sale, but the SA continued to say they were not having one.
The outlet stores and the AE retail stores are not the same and have different sales. The SA was telling you the truth for AE retail stores and likely had no clue the outlets have a sale on seconds.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Elgin and the McTavish are known to be about half a size bigger than other 5-lasted shoes. I'm a 9D on most AE models, but bought a 8.5D Elgin when I tried it in the AE store. I believe sizing down by half on the Elgin and McTavish is more or less the consensus on this thread.

If it's the BB Elgin with the poron insole, it might be a different story though. I'm not sure about that one.

I second masernaut - I use AE cleaner / conditioner and then polish before wearing. Probably not necessary, but it gives me a chance to look the shoes over before wearing.

Chris

javyhydy.jpg

Maiden voyage with my brown Lasalles.
Nice! And have a safe journey :)

Maiden voyage with my Townley's today. Early morning start so no bright sun to highlight them. But haze gray brown and underway anyhow:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the brown grain Malvern? Id like a chukka and got really excited when I looked up the model, but then I realized the seconds sale is only for the brown grain model, whereas the standard brown is the decidedly better looking one :( why do manufacturers even bother with grain? Isnt it just an embossed pattern?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone comment on the brown grain Malvern? Id like a chukka and got really excited when I looked up the model, but then I realized the seconds sale is only for the brown grain model, whereas the standard brown is the decidedly better looking one :( why do manufacturers even bother with grain? Isnt it just an embossed pattern?

I personally like the look for more casual boots and shoes.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
You can check to see if the Shoe Bank has the Ralph Lauren Saunders in your size. It's a two (or three?) eye chukka that comes in tan, brown, black and suede.

Flokk

Reaction score
Checked in for stuff in my size at the shoe bank--seems there's an additional 15% off right now.

Snagged seconds in Macneil, Kenilworth (not optimistic about these), Rapid City, and Black Hills, just to mix it up in business casual. Fingers crossed. Shirley answered and was extremely helpful.

BCer

Reaction score

Like these! RL Saunders w/2 eyes. Off the bay with tiny flaw...love them!

kentyman

Reaction score
As I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm looking to pick up a pair of Sheltons. I've bought two other pair of AE in the past month so I need to try and save a little money on this one. I'm disappointed because I think they were a webgem not too long ago but that's gone, so...

The outlet has one in my size and based on the list they sent they are going for $228. I believe that's 15% off the normal $269 price. Does that sound about right for these shoes? I can pick them up on Amazon for (which are firsts) for $276 because I have a 20% coupon for signing up for their mailing list. I assume the outlet will charge me tax so I'm only looking at about $34 to get firsts over seconds.

Am I missing an opportunity to get these (or any AE shoe) cheaper somewhere that I don't know about? I checked the B&S area of these forums.

Thanks.

I, too, have some Shelton seconds on the way. Firsts are $345 and seconds are usually $269. This is the standard ~22% off for seconds. With 15% off for the Memorial Day Sale, they'd be $228.65 pretax.

However, seconds for the Brooks Brothers versions of the Shelton (or any other BB shoe) are currently only $159 pretax, so that's what I got. It looks like BB Sheltons are usually $199 unless they're the Tan Saddle version (same leather as the "Tan Saddle Waxy Leather" Elgin) which go for $179.

kentyman

Reaction score
Also, while talking with Deb, she recommended the JR soles. Do I want the single or double? I tend towards being a little rough on my shoes, especially since my career entails some walking on car-lots. My thoughts are maybe the double would be better. But, perhaps, this is too much for the Kenilworth? Then again, I know absolutely nothing regarding the JR soles. Any pointers as to single or double and the benefits thereto? Thank you much!

For comparison, here's a picture of my burgundy shell Kenilworth's with a single sole that I'm wearing today.

I almost took my Townley's out for a maiden voyage, as well, but my right pinky toe was hurting in them. I should probably wear them around the house a little more before I scuff 'em up.

Actually, this right pinky toe pain is pretty common for me in different pairs of shoes, so I assume (but haven't measured) that my right foot is more of an E than a D. Should I consider getting a shoe stretcher and target just where that toe hits in my various pairs of shoes? I feel like just a couple of millimeters would make a world of difference.

guasc1

Reaction score
To all my fellow Canadian shoe maniacs:
http://www.leatherfoot.com/ opened shop in Toronto.
They carry a very high quality footwear selection, but most important (and AE thread related) they carry Saphir products.
As an example, Renovateur Medaille D'or is 20 dollars.
I saw that there are some shipping costs, but if you are in town, it is definitely worth a visit.
Ciao,
Max

EDIT: and of course, after I posted this, I realized that leatherfoot is one of the sponsors of this site.
Isn't that ironic....

Last edited:

dcinitial

Reaction score
Curious how these fit? Are they narrow or roomy? Any need to size up compare to other AE shoes?
The Saunders are definitely more narrow than most AE lasts. I have been wearing mine now for a couple months now and they are definitely cramped even with the breakin compared to my other AE shoes. Def TTS or up in width.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious how these fit? Are they narrow or roomy? Any need to size up compare to other AE shoes?

These fit pretty narrow and long. I found it to be a very Italian style pointy-toe. I wear 9.5E in Strands/PA and ordered 9.5E in Saunders, but I think a 9 EEE may have been a better choice.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
^
You can check to see if the Shoe Bank has the Ralph Lauren Saunders in your size. It's a two (or three?) eye chukka that comes in tan, brown, black and suede.

I saw that, unfortunately the saunders are only available in tan and black. The tan is alright but I would prefer a darker brown as it is more versatile so Im holding out for now.

Checked in for stuff in my size at the shoe bank--seems there's an additional 15% off right now.

Snagged seconds in Macneil, Kenilworth (not optimistic about these), Rapid City, and Black Hills, just to mix it up in business casual. Fingers crossed. Shirley answered and was extremely helpful.

Is that 15% off, say, the 159 for the brooks seconds models? I emailed the shoe bank and they gave me a price list but it didnt mention anything about 15% off. Is there a way I can get in touch with them over the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads