1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I read that you should go TTS on the 744. I'm a 8.5D TTS and wear a 8D on the AE 5 last. I have a slight issue with the 5 last because I have a higher instep. The shoe width is perfect I just get a bit larger gap at the laces. Where should I start with the 744?

2. green garden

green garden Senior member

Renomat on shells? Isn't that a bit harsh? If you're really going to do this, please post a before and after picture. I'd like to see what it does. Personally, I'd just be patient and proceed with the Mac method.

3. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

I'm on an Alden kick lately, but it will be difficult to pass up the brown shell Jefferson.

4. green garden

What do people think of the heel detail? Too light for this shade of brown?

5. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

While we're at this subject. I'm an 11.5 3E in AE 5 and 1 lasts and I own a pair of Wolverine 1ks in 11 3E. Would 11.5D work in the 744s?

6. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I'm really sorry I mentioned the 744s at this point - I'm not going to be able to find a pair and I'll be jealous of everyone who does. [​IMG]

7. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like having some variety and something different than the chili edge dressing or regular brown. If it comes and it is light, it will be easy to darken up.

8. green garden

Good point. It's an easier DIY task to make it darker than lighter.

9. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I would say it's a very good bet that'll work out just fine for you. Unlined shell is very lenient sizing wise.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  10. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

After owning more than a dozen pair of AE's, I gotta say my favorites in terms of fit and finish are my bourbon strands and merlot Mcallisters. Absolutely love them

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

[​IMG]

McTavish day.

12. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Whoa?! Great patina on those, what products do you use?

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

[​IMG]

First day wearing the new Tan Cronmoks. They look great, especially in direct sunlight

14. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

The Shoebank has daltons in my size in chili, walnut, chocolate, and grey. I'm not keen on the grey but the other three are attractive for $199. I've got bourbon strands, natural distressed McTavish, tan kenwoods, black fifth aves, and brown 1000 mile boots. What would you reccomend?

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Get an 8D for the 744's. I've found that the TTS advice on them is bogus. They fit just like my non-cordo 1000 Mile CXL boots.

16. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I love the chocolate but the chili is great as well. Those are the two I would go after but I already have a pair in walnut cordovan.

17. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

After seeing the chocolate in person that's what I would go for. Unfortunately there isn't a single Dalton in my size.

18. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

Yeah im leaning towards chocolate or chili. Much like when I was buying strands I think the walnut combined with all the detailing is too much flash for me. TT he chili isn't overly red is it?

19. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Thanks! Lexol, Kiwi, brush and rag. I applied a bunch of neutral Kiwi and used a lighter to melt it down, then brush and buff.

They're also a couple years old and have been put through the ringer, but are still stiff as hell.

x2. I've been saying this forever. The 721/744/Classics are all the same last/sizing.

20. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

After further thought I would go with the chocolate and perhaps acquire a pair of navy laces to switch it up on occasion. I shall email the shoe bank now.....thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.