Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

For the EE sizing, AE still does make a number of shoes in that width, just not as many. I know the McAllisters come in an EE and a few other classics. Better to check the AE website rather than Amazon. And if your local store doesn't stock them, they can order one in (or have one made at no extra charge)

2. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

1) you would have them shipped to you. it is free shipping. they measured my foot as a 10D and it fit really really tight. so i tried on a million other sizes until i was satisfied and i ended up buying the 10D still. I wear a 10.5 in running/gym shoes.
    i tried on a fifth ave shoe:
    10.5D - longer in the front, kinda felt like clown shoes.
    10E - to much room in the toe box, i was able to curl my feet and have tons of room. not good
    9.5E - more room in toe, but stubbier.
    10D - in the harrison. perfect fit, but more money then i wanted to spend at the time. will get this in the future though :)

in conclusion, it should fit snug at first because the calf skin leather they use is stiffer then my other italian leather shoes. I used my fifth ave for 1 day and the 1st day was the break in period, i thought it would take a week to break in, but it didn't. the next day i used it, it felt perfect. it was no longer to tight now that the leather is contouring more to my foot. i am glad i didn't get a bigger size or wider size, because my originally measured 10.0D was the perfect size.

2) yes it can be recrafted, i verified with the staff at allen edmonds.

3) it has a different name, but it looks identical to me. as far as being a nano microscopic shade difference, i wouldn't know. it look identical to me.

3. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Thanks, everyone. I should have been more clear about my question on EE width. I have two McAllister in 7.5 E. They fit but sometimes feel a little snug on my larger foot. I tried a EEE at the store on it just seemed like too much material on my smaller foot. I've only been wearing one of the pair because I want to get it right before I start wearing the other. I saw on AE's website that I can get EE but just thought it was strange that I never see EE anywhere. The salesman never offered it either; we went from EEE to E. I've spoken with him and he's going to work with me and has been very helpful.

I'd like to grow my collection and if 7.5EE is my size on that last it seems I won't have much luck trying to save some money on places like eBay, Amazon, Nordstrom Rack and the AE outlets.

Thanks again.

4. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

My wife cannot abide shopping unless it's for workplace essentials. Two weeks ago I and a (female) friend had to drag her into a small local shop to try on a hat, and then a dress, which turned into her favorite outfit... but never would've happened had she been on her own. Makes it that much trickier for me when another box from AE or Kent Wang or Hugh & Crye shows up on our porch. At least I get home before she does. :embar:

Last year josbank.com had a crazier-than-usual sale on cedar things. Here's a snippet of my order:
    Code:
    Order number: 9741492-1  Order date:  7/16/12
     1. CEDAR SHOE TREES (508/999  XLRG) 2 @ $6.02 - In stock.
     2. CEDAR SHOE TREES (508/999  XLRG) 1 @ $6.01 - In stock.
     3. CEDAR ACCESSORY MATE (506/999  ONE) 1 @ $6.73 - In stock.
    I've been kicking myself the last ten months for only ordering three. Next time I see them on blowout, I'm going all-in. Worst case I can turn them around in B&S for double what I paid and make a few bucks. :p

I will admit to the vanity that makes this sort of thing happen. Whenever I'm wearing my Daltons with denim, the cuffs get an extra roll up my ankles. Might as well flaunt 'em!

5. lostron

lostron Senior member

Jos Bank has those deals every now and then.. can't wait to order more when they have a similar deal

6. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

Quote:
    I've been kicking myself the last ten months for only ordering three. Next time I see them on blowout, I'm going all-in. Worst case I can turn them around in B&S for double what I paid and make a few bucks. :p
    I will admit to the vanity that makes this sort of thing happen. Whenever I'm wearing my Daltons with denim, the cuffs get an extra roll up my ankles. Might as well flaunt 'em!

I think they had a deal buy 1 or 2 and get 5 or 6 free. now that is a deal. i think the total deal was 7 for the price of 1 or 2. not a bad deal if you can wait. i think everyone was backordered for 6 months

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I've got a question for frequent flyers in here... I'll be travelling to California (from Vancouver) in a few weeks and I want to take a jar of shoe creme with me. Is this something that is strictly forbidden by the TSA?

8. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

If you hand carry your luggage (no check in) with the shoe cream, they might check the amount. If it's under 100 ml, you are good, as long as you carry it by hand through security in one of those see-thru plastic bags.
    If you check in your luggage, then no worries at all as there is no amounts restriction, not even on the CBSA side, as shoe cream is not regulated.
    ;-)

9. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    Awesome! That's good to know. I'm only taking two pairs of shoes with me, and I know they'll need a good shine from time to time with all the walking I plan to do.

10. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

^ reposting my question from last page before I order

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I fully agree. I find the travel sized ones to be much easier to use, and the large bottles (while much more cost effective) to be a bit cumbersome. A shoe that is well dressed along the edges looks far newer and well cared for than one that isn't.

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

There is a big difference. Did I miss where you may have stated what shoes you are going to use it on? The chili edge dressing just has a nice gloss with a slightly reddish brown hue and it is translucent. On walnut shoes I find that it complements very well. It doesn't completely cover up the leather grain on the sole and heel edge, where I have found that the brown does. I think the chili gives more of a lacquered appearance that you may see on a fine wood.

13. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

has anyone renomat'd their shell patriots to start fresh? my brown pair I got from the j'ville outlet are dullish looking, and after a day of improvised yardwork whilst wearing them, could stand to use a little treatment..

if anyone has stripped whatever AE has applied and started fresh and took pics, please post.. curious the outcome.. thanks!

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I just posted on this subject in the shoe care thread Here is pic of the shoes they are aldens but I cant imagine thereis a lot of diff
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/...thread-tutorials-photos-etc/5100#post_6341237
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    St pattys day laces

Last edited: May 12, 2013

15. gtvisa2002

gtvisa2002 Well-Known Member

I got the shoe bug. In the last week I have ordered two pairs.
    Lasalle for $129 too hard to pass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.