Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Hey all,

has anyone heard of AE offering a student discount for shoes? I just saw it on a SubReddit and wanted to confirm here.

Thanks.

2. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thanks for the feedback on the shoe trees, everyone.

Both pairs I received are indeed stamped with an "M" on the bottom. They do measure 11", but still seem way too small for my 10.5 AE 5-lasted shoes. Like I said, there's absolutely no tension on the springs when the trees are in the shoes. I am aware that AE owns Woodlore and followed the sizing advice on the AE website as well as hangerproject.com, where I ordered mine (was buying some other stuff from them as well, so figured I'd lump the shoe trees in, too).

I think I'll try the combination shoe trees from Allen Edmonds. $39 for two pairs plus free shipping is a reasonable price.

3. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I recently bought 4 sets of epic trees from cedarville and I had the exact problem but with only the right side trees had no tension whatsoever. I contacted cedar ville to get an exchange and received no reaponse

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Eh, they're boots, rough and tumble comes as part of the package. Some of our members live an active lifestyle and aren't afraid to put their footwear through their paces. Dig through the thread, and you will find that Cold Iron does a fine job cleaning and restoring his footwear. And they look great. It's a testament to his skill and effort.

5. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

This jar of Reno lasted about 9 months. I think I got too many new pairs of shoes and boots this year, which used up the jar a little faster. Thanks for the complement, those are the AE brown shell Townleys. Still seeing a lot of bloom so tried to clean them up last night. I know some folks say they just need a cloth and brush, but I find it almost impossible to get that stuff off without a bit of Reno assistance.

New jar came today, so I was really only out for about 16 hours. I think those little crumbs in the upper corners of the jar had dried out, as I was pushing the whole cloth up there trying to get a few more morsels for the Townleys. Probably should have cleaned that part out a few weeks / months ago, once the Reno level went below half.

6. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Just saw on AE's twitter that they will be having a Tent Sale at their Port Washington and Brookfield locations, June 13th- 23rd. Call in or stop by.

[​IMG]

7. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    All of the Allen Edmond Shoes at Student Discounts I have seen amount to 15% off the regular price, and are available on selected styles at AE Retailers and not the AE site.

You might be better off shopping the AE Retailer sites for a better discount than 15%.

Brooks Brothers has selected AE shoes today online at 25%OFF by using the coupon code of: fnfbb6

My best to you,

David
    [​IMG]

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Thank you very much!

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Thanks! They are a great model. I use AE Chili Edge Dressing on them and really enjoy the results. I enjoy AE's shoe care products and haven't felt the need to deviate from them personally. Just like their shoes, I think the price:quality ratio is excellent.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

IMO, Every man should have AE's travel size heel and sole dressing in chili, black, and brown (no matter what brand of shoes he prefers). This is a neglected part of shoe care, even among many who take reasonably decent care of the uppers. It can make the difference between a shoe that looks good and a shoe that looks great. I say travel size because of ease of application.

11. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Is there a big difference between the brown and the chili dressing? I ask only because I intend to get the brown one and intrigued by your chili opinion. Wondering if it differs enough that I should consider getting it. The only chili shoes I will have are the lasalles.

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I just bought the Walnut Franciscan and the Brown Burnished Calf 5th Avenue. They tell you which polish and edger to get for each shoe within their catalog I believe. For the Walnuts they gave me the Chili edge dressing and for the Brown the Brown edge dressing.

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Hi gentlemen, a few questions if you have a minute:

1) I asked earlier in the thread but I don't think I saw a response. EE seems to not be a popular width in any size. I think I'm between 7.5 E and EEE on 5 last but I don't see EE anywhere. It seems I can order it from AE but I see none on eBay, Amazon doesn't even list EE in their size drop down. The stores don't seem to have any in stock either. What gives?

2) Can "seconds" from the outlet be recrafted?

3) Is oxblood different than merlot? I assume yes or else there wouldn't be two names. I see an oxblood pair of PA on the Bay that I'm eyeing but it doesn't look like AE offers this color currently. If they are different, by how much and can I still get the polish? Online pictures aren't very telling.

Thanks in advance!

14. ESElrond

ESElrond Member

I'm in a similar situation. I typically wear size 10.5 D shoes by Allen Edmonds, and decided to pick up a few pairs of trees with improved vamp support -- I already own a mix of Woodlore split-toe and full-toe trees, all in size L.

Per their sizing chart, I ordered a pair of Epic shoe trees in size M. Their width seemed okay, but they were much too short; when inserted into my 10.5 D shoes, they either didn't touch the heel at all, or did so without proper tension.

I also tried a pair of Epics in size L; their length was sufficient, but the forefoot and heel were too wide. I didn't want to run the risk of them deforming my shoes over the long run, so I returned both pairs of Epics.

I ended up purchasing Ultra shoe trees instead. They've got a higher vamp (that extends about as far back as the Epics), an improved instep and arch shape relative to the split-toes, and a full heel that's very similar to the Epics. They also use the same size chart as the split-toe and full-toe trees, and size L fits my shoes perfectly.

I didn't try out the Washburn trees to compare, but if you're willing to pay a bit more than the Epics, I'd recommend the Ultras as a good alternative.

The sizing chart for the Epics really needs to be revised; according to it, size M trees are supposed to fit D width shoes in sizes 10.5 through 12.5, which -- considering they're too short to fit size 10.5 D correctly -- is just hilariously inaccurate.

15. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

- As you noted EE is not a popular size but can be ordered directly from AE. I suspect few people do this, so few examples are found online. Most people either settle for half decent fit or find a different last/brand that fit their feet rather than order custom sizes. You could email Paul and see if you can get a 7.5EE without paying the MTO premium.

- in general seconds can be recrafted.

- to my knowledge AE oxblood is the same as their merlot and burgundy calf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.