1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Saunder is narrow as. I wear 8 eee in all 5 lasted ae( a bit loose - better fit is 8 ee - but hard to get hold of ee) . I have saunder in 8.5 d. They were long as and narrow like a mfoo. I had to rip the sock lner and stretch them for months and they are barely wearable.
    8.5 D felt like 9 B. Now slaton is a bit more forgiving. I have them in 8.5D again had to rip sock liner and stretch them. Slaton feels a bit shorter than saunder or Sanderson and a bit tigher around the vamp.. I think I can wear a 9D in Slaton .
    Sanderson is also really narrow but supports higher instep.. I have them in 8D feels like 8 B.
    I have ordered Illford in 8.5E hopefully they are wide enough.
    [​IMG]

yeah dalton toe box super soft. I can press the toe box all the way down with very light pressure. I don't care about the creasing either. I think its a manufacturing fault. I tried to use a pen on the vamp and tired to make deliberate creasing on the vamp. But the toe box being too soft as soon as i bent the shoe it creates creasing on the wing. Sing for dalton is quite odd. I am 8 eee in strand , fift ave, players ...and most ae. I went up 9 d on dalton adn it fits goo. I still felt the toe box is a bit narrower than my 8eee strand. And my fift st boot in 8.5d winch is longer than the 9 d daltons.

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I'm going to have to wait until they come out with seconds. :nodding:

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I want it in shell [​IMG]

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I know a few folks have ordered cappuccino Dundees recently. I am curious what color stitching on the welt you went with?

I did a reverse split welt with chili and light brown edge dressing. I chose a lighter thread color which is tan I believe. My hope is they will look similar to this. However, I chose a Dainite sole to get them a bit more rugged/inclement weather feel

[​IMG]

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Same here. AE finishing on firsts being so poor that the difference between ae firsts vs seconds is hardly noticeable. And ae seconds are some of the best vale- if not THE best value.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Hmmm. I didn't specify the stitching. I did the chili reverse split and light brown edge dressing. I am hoping they look exactly like that too! I wish I would have went with the Dainite. I guess it may not be too late???

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

With Thanksgiving coming up in a few months...AE has released these:

I give you...THE PINE RIVER

[​IMG]
    I guess it's the "rough around the edges" brother of the Neumora???

OF NOTE: One very cool thing is that they come from the factory with Dainite soles. A trend I hope continues!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

When did you place the order? It may not be too late. The normal welt stitching is a dark thread color so that is what it will likely be.

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I just placed the order last week, 8/21. I'm pretty sure I can still change it. So I guess I'll send an email about the thread color and the sole.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I don't remember what the price was before, but $395 is consistent with their other boots, like the Dalton.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

a shell Portland would be very nice

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

You should be fine. If you work with Allison she will understand exactly what you want considering I just drove her crazy about it all :)

I had requested the Dainite sole in dark brown as some of my Trickers utilize it and it is really nice; however, AE only stocks it in black for now. They offered to edge stain the side of the Dainite sole dark brown as opposed to black. I did not do this as I felt it would require more maintenance, but it is an option should you like it?

13. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

That's an awesome price for shell Daltons. I already have the walnuts so I'm going to settle for one, either the chocolate or the shell. The folks at Riverhead said that the Chocolate was a part of the sale, the shell was not but they have a 20% coupon going on which makes it out at about $440. I can't afford both the shell and the chocolate AND the shell, plus I already have a wingtip boot, two actually since I got a pair of Loakes for about $150 a while back.

14. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

A shell Portland would probably be $695 which is getting dangerously close (if not higher in some cases) than Alden shell. I have 5 shell shoes made by Allen Edmonds and 5 made by Alden and the Alden shell is finished a little nicer. If the price was not an issue then I would probably go with the Alden version in #8 shell which can be had for $701 at The Shoe Mart.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree 100%. I guess the only way I'd go with AE is if they could offer me a shell color other than #8 or black.

16. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Pastor,

I hear what you are saying but have a slightly different point of view. I think the two finishes are ultimately very close to one another. I do agree out of the box that the Alden is of slightly higher finish but with some work the AE is nearly identical. I personally would never buy AE burgundy cordovan as I much prefer Alden's #8. However, AE provides me the ability to order in two different brown cordovans (something nearly impossible from Alden) and also my exact choice of welt, sole etc. Ultimately I prefer my Aldens by a very slight margin but it is very, very close.

17. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

yes indeed... they are COMPLETE GARBAGE, and must be sent to the clearance line ASAP! I just might be willing to spend 99$ on a pair... maybe.

18. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I picked up bourbon Dalton 2nds for $199 with this current sale. It appears the $199 price for calf is not limited to walnut.

19. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I'm surprised you feel that strongly about the suede Strand. I have no plans to order them, and I have actually never owned a pair of suede shoes. The Fullerton does strike me as something I'd wear, but even it will probably just be something I enjoy looking at pictures of rather than wearing, unless I can't say no to a sale down the road (or when they go on clearance a year from now). That said, I thought there was a pretty large outcry for AE to make the Strand in suede, no?

20. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Yep, looks that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.