Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Nope trying just right

2. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Not sure if I welcomed you or not, but . . . WELCOME!

I go along with what others have said. If they are FIRSTS, then I think a replacement is good not only for you - but also Allen Edmonds so that they can get back to their quality line to see where it goofed up.

That said, you may wish to keep them - it's like being a father for the first time with your first born baby. Turn the baby up, down, around, inspect where the moles are, the birth defects - as many father sometimes think about. But in the end, most fathers will keep their first born, moles and everything.

In your case, you have the products available to follow up on maintaining your new AE shoes with excellent shines (and sometimes coverups - although I unsure about the welt area).

Sleep on it!

My best to you,

David

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Hello friends. longtime lurker here.

I made my first foray into Allen Edmonton last year, buying a pair of chili Regent Streets, size 11EEE. They fit great, which is rare, since I have rather oddly shaped feet (left is an 11 EE, right is 10.5 EEE+).

So...I needed to replace my trusty black apron-toes and decided to go AE again, trying something different. I bought the MacAllisters in the same size (11 3E) during the anniversary sale. While the left foot fit like a glove, the right one was painfully narrow. I sent them back and exchanged for the Franciscans (same price during the sale). This pair of 11 3E was waaay too long and wide on both feet.

Since my schedule leaves me virtually no time to get to an AE store for a proper fitting, I'm pretty much reliant on mail order, but the trial and error of it all takes way too much time, leaving me without a much-needed black shoe. No, I can't seem to find Regent Street in my size (plus it's a little loud for what I need). Also not feeling the other 4-234 last options, style-wise.

So I ask ye humbly, which last should I try next that will get me somewhere in between the MacAllister and the Franciscan?

Thanks in advance,
    --Goldilocks

4. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

Peppercorn, I'm sure some members will post with their experiences with the lasts you are interested in.

I have had good luck with the CS at AE. If you fit in one shoe CS can be very helpful finding your correct size.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

My experience with AE CS over the last week has been nothing short of outstanding. It is rare I find a company that runs a program on par with my company. Hats off to their operations team as I know just how much work goes into cultivating and displaying that level of service.

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

My question would be "how?" Will AE do this as part of Paul's deal? I have the burgundy cordovan belt and love it! I cannot find a good match for my cappuccino McCalisters. That would be awesome!

7. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

The serrated edges can end up raised when you do some shoe conditioning or polish. I find you can just run your hand over the edges and they will go back down. The welt stitch looks perfectly fine, and it can probably be filled in with polish or edge dressing in the uncolored spot. The burnishing is all done by hand, you can tone down the burnishing by using a leather cleaner/conditioner. None of these items will be noticeable when viewed at a distance.

Cold Iron,

Thanks for the tips concerning the charcoal grill. I'm still a rookie in charcoal grilling, I have a 18.5 Weber, which I think is too small. I also attempted to use lump charcoal for the first time. I think it was poor quality lump charcoal and didn't light properly. I'm tempted to go gas grill because of the ease of temperature control. I will give charcoal a few more rounds to see if I can get better at it.

I also at this point don't even come up with excuses to shell out for shell. I've also like many others have started the great cordovan shoe hunt. The rumors of shell supply may also be feeding my current spree. Hopefully sanity kicks in after 2-3 more pairs, but I think once you cross over the shell cordovan threshold, all hope is lost for your wallet. Case in point, I am debating on shell Daltons, Dundee, or Strands through the MTO offer. Carmina shell is looking pretty good too......

8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Sorry if this is a repeat question but while I saw it discussed on this thread I'm not sure I saw an answer (but I could have missed it). Is there a marking that indicates if an AE shoe is a first or second? There was talk of a "W" mark earlier in the thread. I ordered a pair in-store and it shipped "from somewhere in Illinois" I was told. I assume it's just another retail shop that had my size in stock but how would I know if it came from an outlet store and is a second? They look like a first but this is my first pair of AE. If I was scrutinizing, there are a few places that I might say "I see why it's a second" if I knew they were but otherwise I'm happy with them.

Anyway, how does one know? Thanks!

9. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

Thank you, David, for the warm welcome and sage advice. As wonderful as the feeling was when I first opened the box and laid eyes on them, I decided to send these back for a new pair. I'm sure I will still love this next one as my "first-born" - I'll just have to remember not to tell him that he was actually the second.

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

That is correct Allison said they will waive the mto fee. I'm considering it strongly ad walnut cordovan is a unique color.

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I didnt think they offered walnut cordovan belts? When placing my order for some brown shell patriots, I grabbed a burgundy belt (likely going back as its a tad too light for my taste)

I asked about brown (not walnut) and was told they only had cordovan belts in black and burgundy. website currently reflects that too

12. SeanP

SeanP Active Member

Guys-
    Need your thoughts. I was sized originally by Allen Edmonds at Biltmore Fashion park in Phoenix about 2yrs ago and got the same response last year when I was shopping at Nordstroms for some new dress shoes. This is a picture today of my black AE Lombard in 10D; is this not too narrow and should attempt a wider shoe? If I am a 10D now would I next try a 9.5EE? I am contemplating picking up two pairs of Strands and a Fifth Avenue, but have seen the lasts run narrow.

[​IMG]

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

That is correct but my SA Allison assured me they can make it as an mto. They waived the fee for the belt as well and grandfathered it in with my Dalton order.

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I wish I would have looked into a pairing to go with my cigar chukkas, as alden belts are forever sold out

good to know for the future though, thanks!

15. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I need some patriot sizing help. The 9.5E length and width wise feels good but due to the E width it has made the heel slightly larger and I believe that is why I have a little bit heel slip.

I'm wondering if sizing down to a 9E would help with the slipping but my concern would be length being to short. Should I order a 10D or would that still cause for the heel to be loose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.