Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

and now to top it all off I just realized that the guy was wrong and the PArk Ave and the MacNeil are not on the same last!! Damn it, now I am really am back at the same starting point having wasted a few hours out of my day.

2. sazon

sazon Senior member

Hmmm, comfort....not reallty sure. I find all my AEs (shell and calf) to be about the same in terms of comfort.

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West

4. sazon

sazon Senior member

That's a good idea. I'll try to do that tonight.

5. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Yes . . . but more comfortable than the Shell version in the same style?

Just wondering why you switched back - and I thought you mentioned comfort.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

eesh. I'll echo David's comment that if it is an actual AE store, I'd definitely report that up the chain.

Sounds like you figured out the Macneil sizing (7 last) and Park Ave sizing (5 last). I imagine that your 1-last (leeds, Bradley) will be the same, unless the shoe has the insole, in which case you will need to increase (as you did). For reference, I am a 12D in all of them, though a 11.5E almost fits me in the 5-last.

The 2-222 last is narrow. I take a 12E in that, and it's still almost too tight.

7. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

Just received my anniversary sale Bourbon McAllisters. They are gorgeous out of the box, but there were a few areas of concern on them that I wanted to run by you all. This is my first pair of AE so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of normal variation and quality control.

Here it seemed strange that the burnishing did not go all the way up to the broguing. Granted, this is the inside of the right shoe, but it is made more noticeable when I wear the shoe as the leather stretches away a bit more.

[​IMG]

This picture doesn't show it very well, but one of the teeth of the scalloped edge at the point of the wingtip is slightly bent upwards.

[​IMG]

Here my concern was a slightly raised stitch and the scratch or lack of color where the welt is stitched.

[​IMG]

The stitching here seems off, with a bit too much of the edge protruding. It can be bent back away from the seam.

[​IMG]

Finally, another bent tooth of the wingtip edge.

[​IMG]

I know most of these are very minute details. The only one that really bothers me is the stitching on the upper where the wingtip edge is much wider than any other part of the shoe. It seems pretty noticeable and really looks out of place.

Hoping to get some of your veteran opinions on this! Thanks in advance.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Do not mess around with the recoloring creams. I repeat - do not mess around with the recoloring creams. They are dyes and for situations significantly worse than yours. Go with the Saphir cordovan cream. Trust me on this one, it's that good.

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Nice. Are those finished with the old or new AE #8 shell finishing method?

10. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I'm not a veteran, but I'll chime in anyway-
    Can you clarify if these were first quality or seconds. The shoes I got during the same sale are seconds.
    If these are seconds, well you have just pointed out why. If they are firsts you can exercise your right to exchange them for another pair.

Last edited: May 7, 2013

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Those don't look too bad, but if they're firsts and you're not satisfied, you're justified in returning them.

I agree the inconsistently long pinking is the biggest problem there. I don't think one or two "teeth" sticking up is rare. I should point out, though, that the pinking on my Bourbon Strands pretty much all sticks up! This is likely from the opposite problem as yours, where the stitching is too close to the end. See below:

This was my first pair of AEs, so I didn't have much to compare to, but I've learned to love these shoes so much that I'm not letting it bother me. Though I am curious in hindsight if y'all would've exchanged my Strands for this issue. To put it another way, what do you expect from the pinking of a first quality brogue? Should they all be down and perfect, or is a little mayhem normal?

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Will do. Thanks again for everything.

13. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

They are firsts.

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Old - this particular pair is about 2.5 yrs old. After quite a few "Mac" treatments, the polish and cream finish are gone and the bare shell is gradually turning more brownish with time.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Hopefully Sazon will still post pictures when he gets a chance too. There are always color variations in the materials and of course lighting effect. Here is an older picture I have comparing them.
    [​IMG]

Walnut calf to the far left, other 2 are walnut shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.