Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

AE stocks similar soles in Wisconsin, from my understanding. The actual sole used on the Italian line is only in... Italy. They'll use a sole of similar thickness and style because, obviously, they aren't going to ship them back to Italy for a recraft.

2. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

For real? I just ordered the patriots $215 during their last 20% off sale

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Kentyman, glad it worked out. Enjoy the shoes and wear them in good health. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Just the nature of the beast [pun] I'm afraid; can't do much about hide marks as far as I'm aware. You could throw some Alden #8 paste over the whole shoe and it'd darken it up and even out the blemish. Otherwise, just leave it - I doubt it's even slightly visible from normal distances. Good looking pair of shoes [​IMG]

5. Leather

Leather Senior member

I just received these AE loafers. Is it normal to have the sides curve out like this when I step down?

[​IMG]

6. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

I have the Park Ave in 10.5EE but the instep is slightly low and they are possibly a tiny bit long. What size should I go for in the Macneil? 10.5E?

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

No, it's not normal and there may be a defect with the shoe. My first thought, however, is that this shoe looks too big for your foot.

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

^+1 I had a pair of loafers that did the same thing and that was the culprit.

9. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

They look too big to me as well.

10. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I would clean the shoes with something like the Saphir Renovateur and then maybe try either a #8 wax polish or the cordovan cream that Kirby's Hanger Project or Epaulet sells. The Cordovan Cream will have more pigment in it so that would be my first recommendation. I think you should be able to even out the color of those shoes pretty well. I also wouldn't worry about the creasing unless it bothers you. I have several pair of shell shoes that crease differently for each foot. Now when I get new shell shoes I wear them around the house to determine where he creases are going to be and then I manually crease them so that the creases will be as uniform as possible.

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Are you referring to the "pen method" here, or something different? I've never had much luck using the pen method, but it must work for many people, otherwise it wouldn't be recommended so much I suppose.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

+1. I used Saphir's #8 cordovan cream on a pair of Meermin shell longwings that had uneven finishing issues and they look great now. It has a significant amount of pigment, so it will solve your issue but will also alter the color a small amount in the process. For your reference, here is the color of my Meermin shell shoes that have been polished a few times with the #8 cordovan cream.

[​IMG]

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I agree with Pastor. The creasing looks perfectly fine to me. Great looking shoes!

14. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Those look great. What was the color before? I actually like that a little better than Alden's #8.

15. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Yeah, I use the pen method but modify it a bit. I don't use a pen. I just manipulate the creases with my thumbs and then use my hand to bend the shell over. It works pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.