Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

The world is a beautiful place just full of people waiting to be offended.

CH

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

+2

...but this is the internet, and this is exactly where juvenile, know-it-all, "tougher than I really am" comments take place. The fact that it's a Classic Menswear thread doesn't make the quality of people any better.

3. zchen

zchen Senior member

Spoke with Debbie today, got some shell samples heading my way. Also confirmed with her Eagle County can be ordered in Dublin leather....

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

In 2012 they recrafted a pair of mine that had a W. However, they called me before commencing work on the shoes to tell me they cannot guarantee their work. They wanted to make sure I still wanted to do it. I said yes. They did a wonderful job. Indeed, nothing could be detected as a defect - either before or after the recraft.

5. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I just received my calf patriots and had some sizing questions.
    - I ordered the same size as my strands & pa's 9.5E.

The length is perfect and width however I am experiencing a little
    bit of heel slipping. Did any of you experience any sort of heel
    slipping when you first got yours? Could it be due to the sole not
    being broken in? I'm worried that once they break in that they
    may end up being too loose.

I'm currently wearing the no show loafer socks and experiencing
    the slipping.

Also, since these were seconds do you find the stitching on the
    toe acceptable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2013

6. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the idea Cold Iron. I dropped by my clinic after work, where my Podiatrist happens to work on Fridays. Someone had just canceled their appointment and I was seen right away. She immediately knew what I was talking about and told me she would call my insurance and arrange for them to be made right away. She said they would work just as well as my current orthotics for supporting my foot but wouldn't give me the same level of stability for my ankle since it would be a much smaller form factor orthotic. However, she would look in to options for adding special support pins that wouldn't cause the heel to be too large and could still be worn with dress shoes. I'm very glad you suggested that and that I was able to get it all accomplished this afternoon with no extra effort.

Now I just have to convince my wife that we have extra cash for me to buy another pair of AE shoes. As soon as there is a sale that is... if I can wait that long.

Last edited: May 3, 2013

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I find that for loafers, it's best to size down a half or full size (depending on the last). I assume it's because there are no laces on loafers to keep the shoe on.

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

For firsts, I feel that you should get a perfect shoe. Seconds are another story.

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

For what it's worth, I had no heel slipping at all in either of my shell patriots. I found the soles to be nice and pliable right out of the box. I'd consider returning and getting a smaller size.

10. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I did order a 9.5D alongside the 9.5E. The 9.5D is way too tight

11. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

the combination tap sole is great because once the rubber wears out it is back to the original sole.

12. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

my foot on the fitting machine is a 10 D(medium)

I purchased fifth ave in a 10 D, but on my little toe it feels slightly snug. is this normal for brand new shoes? should i switch to a 10 E for a little more space? or after many uses the leather will stretch out a little and i won't have that snug toe box feeling anymore.

need your advice guys.

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    The Fifth Avenue is built on the 5-Last. This last is best for a long and narrow foot. I suggest you get a wider shoe and see if that helps.

Black McTavish tonight. No one can convince me that there is a better looking wing-tip on the market. There's something about the rough leather and the red heel dressing that just jumps on me. The first time I saw this shoe, I knew I had to have it. It's a little bit pointier than my other 5-Last shoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

Try a 10E and a 9.5E. As masernaut mentioned, it is a very long last, so sizing down a half size might help with the toe box without making the shoe too loose.

15. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Me either...There's something about this particular wingtip that keeps drawing me back to it. I have a couple of wingtips that I love, both of which are classics, but after all this time, I still always find myself coming back to this particular style and wanting it. It is just a handsome shoe. Especially the black and brown combo. The cognac is incredible looking too, but the black color really piques my interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.