1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AT83

AT83 Active Member

I think they look great in your photo in grey. I think you should just wear them more often.

2 people like this.
  2. dancingbear

dancingbear Well-Known Member

Great request. I'd like to see pictures of that myself. I have a pair of Truffle (cappuccino) Shell Macallisters but no strands to compare. I've always thought my Macallisters were on the light side of the scale, but have never seen another pair IRL. Anyone have both?

3. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I have cappuccino dundees and brown patriots and the colors are very similar inside. It's only when I go outside that I can really tell a difference between the two. I'll to get some pics later but it may actually be tomorrow.

4. Chezteladog

Chezteladog New Member

Is there a thread on how to change the color of your shoes? I saw some Walnut Players at Nordstrom Rack for $149 yesterday but I already have walnut strands.

5. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

I find the cappuccino shell color to be a bit lighter than the AE brown shell color. Here's a picture I posted in the past of my cappuccino Dundees and Brown shell Patriots:

[​IMG]

6. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

Wearing the walnut shell Kenilworths today. I think it has been worn somewhere between 5~10 times so far.

[​IMG]

7. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

There's been gazillion threads, with varying results. While it might be a fun weekend project, I'd second the idea of sending them to B.Nelson.

8. poena

poena Well-Known Member

i tried both codes but they aren't showing a reduced price??

is this still working?

thanks

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Last year when I talked to Deborah about having all 5 colors in shell she wanted to make sure that I knew what color cappuccino was and when she asked me I said lighter than brown, that was based on the pictures that Pastor had posted of his cappuccino Dundee's. She replied no it is the darker than brown... There are variations in both brown and cappuccino so it does vary but with my Dundee's they are lighter in full sun but inside with 60 cycle sunlight they change to a darker color. My cappuccino McAllister's are darker yet. I can only imagine what color my cappuccino Bayfields will be but based on the sample they sent me pretty dark, at least indoors.

In full sun my best reference is still this one, brown in front bottom with cappuccino bottom top:
    [​IMG]

I will try to get another picture today comparing the cappuccino McAllister's and some other brown shell. I hope others will post some more comparisons like MactasktcGDogg, I enjoy the variations, plus looking at shell [​IMG]

10. cincikid

Try SAFWD8313

11. cincikid

I missed the "rough" MacNeils when they were a webgem circa the end of 2011 and also didn't get them as seconds when they were on sale last year. I thought they'd be gone for good, but somehow, I scored them off ebay last week for about 20% of the original retail. They looked pretty beat up (partly due to the leather itself) although they didn't seem to be worn. A bit of AE Lotion and some elbow grease made them look pretty gorgeous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know AE suggests saddle soap for those, but somehow I've always been reluctant to use it. It looks like AE Lotion worked really well here: the leather got a lot more supple and the color is now a bit deeper. I am looking forward to wearing them this fall.

12. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Here are some brown/cappuccino comparisons.
    Brown Shell Patriots and Cappuccino Dundees

Inside with flash
    [​IMG]

Inside by the window with no flash
    [​IMG]

Closeup of shell colors - no flash
    [​IMG]

13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Pastor, are the Patriots the shade of brown that you would get if you ordered the brown shell that you can pick from the site? I love the cappuccino, tho! Looks like MTO here I come! I'll see whats available.

14. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Funny, I too just got a VERY slightly used pair of MacNeils, on their maiden voyage today. Love the look. Will have to hit them with some more AE Leather Lotion I think, on the vamp anyway. Showing some serious crease marks. Although, not such a terrible thing, for the rough look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cincikid

Interesting coincidence! Out of curiosity, are yours 9.5D? I've noticed there were two of them on ebay in the past few weeks, in 10D and 9.5D. Given I took the first, I presume yours might be the latter. Fwiw, the lotion has nearly completely eliminated the creasing and made the color look even throughout the vamp (I worked it into the leather with my fingers, sort of massaging the vamps). I want to try to use Saphir down the road out to see if it might be even better.

16. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wish my feet were that size. No, mine are 11.5's. I may hit mine with Saphir too, at least on the vamp.

17. cincikid

Do post the results. I am curious about the outcome.

18. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

The brown is the shell brown from AE. Like others have said it can really vary in color.

19. calidist

calidist Well-Known Member

Brown and dark brown are the same shade for AE, right?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  20. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Wondering the same. They list the chukkas as dark brown and the Patriot as brown (or vise versa).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.