1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I really prefer the way Alden places the eyelets. The AE boot eyelets always seem too far apart to me.

2. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Just click on the pic and it'll get larger, David. No...no shine yet, as I haven't worn them. Just some conditioner/cleaner.

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Me either.

4. MidwestSteve

MidwestSteve Member

Initially I did... and those shoes seemed more "dull" than the Shell Cordovan. When I heard about the Shell PAs, I thought, "jackpot," but no such luck.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Those would be great conversation pieces, alongside an equally audacious ensemble.

Kind of like Pirate shoes, no? Don't think I could ever wear them but serious props to anyone who can pull off the look in the right circumstances.

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I have to say that bayfield looks to be every bit of the alden's equal. Cordovan totally changes the looks of the boot. Much more dressy IMO. Well done sir.

7. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

bl@ster, can you comment on the sizing between the Barrie last of the Alden naval boot and the 1 last of the Bayfield? Both of those boots are amazing by the way. If you only had those two in a boot collection, it would already be a great collection.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Thank you. I totally agree. Here a pic in the daylight to show the cappuccino color a bit more clearly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Those are absolutely amazing. I'm so glad this thread exists -- it's nice that we all get the chance to see beauties like that. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a splendid pickup!

10. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Nice shine.

(What model of car is that in the picture?)

11. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Thanks for the photos Rydenfan. I didn't realize there was such a height difference but I think it will be much easier to tie the Bayfield's in a hurry with the speed hooks.
    Which one do you like better?

12. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Those look awesome!

13. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Looks like an original Fiat-500

14. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I've seen some great shots of Shell and non-Shell PA's on this thread. My (very recent) experience with AE Shell Cordovan is that there is a lot of "product" on them when they first arrive. There are more knowledgeable people on here, but my suggestion would be to wipe them down a few times with a damp cloth and then take the brush to them for as long as you can.

Look around, you'll find plenty of people on here who have beautiful shines on their Shell Cordovan PA's

15. green garden

green garden Senior member

When you say mirror shine, do you mean waxing your shell? Don't do it. If these are new, they probably have not been buffed enough. You should just wipe it with a damp cloth and brush until your arms drop. Seriously though, google the "Mac Method". This appears in the Alden threads as Mac is an Alden aficionado. But his method for shell care should be universal to all shells. Shell should we waxed very very sparingly. It has already soaked a lot of oils during the tanning processes and your job is just to make the shine come out through brushing.

16. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Thank you. It's a 1970 Subaru 360.

17. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Anyone else notice the "new" AE logo they've been using?

[​IMG]

I personally like it. It looks older and more of a throwback of sorts.

18. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

Anyone has an idea when is he next sale for firsts?

19. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Agree with this. I don't think it has been brushed enough.

20. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Would you recommend a split-toe shoe tree or a full-toe shoe tree? Both are from Woodlore.
    What I've read is that the split-toe helps to expand the shoes laterally but full-toe shoe trees often reach further in to the toe box to help fill the shoe up better.

PSA: Get 35% off split-toe shoe trees by Woodlore from Sierra Trading Post with coupon code[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]STWD8313. Valid til 18 Aug 2013.
    Pro-tip:
    Use their mobile application available on the iOS App Store and the Google Play store to place your order (yes, you can enter coupon codes using the app) and receive free shipping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.