• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Close Hoarse

Reaction score
I'd agree with RogerP. Mr. G flat-out requests in his posts to be emailed; I'm inclined to doubt he checks his PMs on any sort of a regular basis.

I sent him an email with my phone number, and he actually called me that same afternoon. We spoke for about 10 minutes. Nice guy, needless to say. He apparently works very hard to keep his finger on the market's pulse.

CH

jrarnold

Reaction score
My first pair of Allen Edmonds arrives on Monday. Its a pair of black Bentons and I plan to wear them at least four days out of the week. Ideally I should get a second pair and rotate to allow each to breathe, but I don't have the extra cash to spend at the moment. What is the best way for me to take care of a pair of Allen Edmonds that I am wearing so frequently?

Reading through this thread is definitely getting me drinking the Kool-Aid. I went with black because I thought that would be the best color to own if I could only own one pair. However, seeing all the pictures of brown/walnut/chili AE shoes has definitely made me reconsider. It just gives me another reason to get a second pair in the near future.

PK35216

Reaction score
Our care for shell and shoes is pretty much identical. I purchase VSC from the AE outlets for $5 a bottle. In the thread I mentioned earlier I posted that I will give up my Reno when they pry it from my cold dead hands. That is a bit of an extreme statement but if it was the last jar on earth I wouldn't give it up without a fight LOL. 75 degrees yesterday but cold and up to half a foot of snow today and a few more inches tomorrow. I will be thankful when I can put away my winter wear for the year!
Well both of course...
devil.gif

I still use T-shirts for applying wax and polishing. After years of doing so I know the feel I am looking for when polishing and only use a very little bit of wax at a time, I have a hard time getting use to the feel of anything else. For applying Alden Waterproofer I use an old synthetic sock that doesn't absorb much of it but transfers it to the shoe rather well. Originally I used the MF cloths for just final buffing. Previously I used nylon stockings for final polish however they always did leave swirl marks, had to look close but they were there. MF cloths do not. I use the MF cloths around the house for cleaning and also for cleaning the vehicle inside and out as they really pick up dirt and are something like 8X more absorbent than cotton. When I was cleaning a new pair of shell PA in the garage I did the first pass with Reno and a T-shirt and glanced at the MF cloths I used for cleaning the vehicle and thought I'd try one on a second pass.

The blue MF cloth is after I had already cleaned with the T-shirt and Reno. So I now use them for the Mac method, Reno and cleaning, and final buffing.
Thanks for the info!

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both. I have used both on shell. I prefer Reno for shell.

I have used both on calf. I prefer Reno for calf - by a long shot. Quite frankly, I prefer various other products over VSC for calf.

Just use what works. If another guy prefers VSC, I have no problem with that.
this was posted in the shoe care thread. this guy tests venetian shoe cream versus saphir renovateur here:

http://imgur.com/a/EC8gN

"Looks like VSC wins from a results standpoint, and when you factor in how much cheaper it is, as well as it's ease of removal (I find that Reno's oiliness can make it a bit more of a chore to brush off) I would choose VSC hands down every time."

Last edited:

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Sorry to ask again but I didn't see a response to my post from a few days ago. Does anyone have experience with AE shoe stretching? The local AE store rep offered to stretch my McAllister since it's slightly snug but not enough for the next size. Thanks.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Sorry to ask again but I didn't see a response to my post from a few days ago. Does anyone have experience with AE shoe stretching? The local AE store rep offered to stretch my McAllister since it's slightly snug but not enough for the next size. Thanks.

How much wear have you put into them? If it's only been 2-3 outings, I would go another 3-4 wears before having them stretched. I've had kenilworths stretched and now I think they are slightly too loose (but these are bluchers and naturally not as tight). If you do decide to have them stretch, only have them stretched for about a day, then try it on again. I made the mistake of leaving them to be stretched for about 2 days, which might have overdone it.

Best of luck.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Could anyone help me identify this pair of AE loafers? The seller says the code inside the shoe is 3832 but does not remember what model name it is and cannot find any pictures online.

"Penny Loafers" by Allen Edmonds - in a suede.

Perhaps I am wrong - but that picture may be showing a re-sole job - and on the inside of the heel, it looks like there is a cut. If it originally came with a all-leather sole and was resoled - then it could be in the McGraw type of AE shoe - similar to the Nordstrom item here:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmonds-mcgraw-penny-loafer-online-exclusive/3180168

You can call AE and give them the number also - they have a complete database going back many years.

David

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much wear have you put into them?  If it's only been 2-3 outings, I would go another 3-4 wears before having them stretched.  I've had kenilworths stretched and now I think they are slightly too loose (but
these are bluchers and naturally not as tight).  If you do decide to have them stretch, only have them stretched for about a day, then try it on again.  I made the mistake of leaving them to be stretched for about 2
days, which might have overdone it.

Best of luck.

+1 stretching shoes is an irrevocable decision. IMO it distorts the leather and leaves the shoes looking, just not right. I would consider it if I had broken them in and had no other options.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
My first pair of Allen Edmonds arrives on Monday. Its a pair of black Bentons and I plan to wear them at least four days out of the week. Ideally I should get a second pair and rotate to allow each to breathe, but I don't have the extra cash to spend at the moment. What is the best way for me to take care of a pair of Allen Edmonds that I am wearing so frequently?
You definitely should not wear the same pair two days in a row. I always allow them to breathe a day. Absolutely need shoe trees to absorb any moisture and to help to keep their shape. I always brush my shoes before wearing in the a.m., and then after I put the trees in them at night after I take them off. Lotion and polish as needed.

David Copeland

Reaction score
this was posted in the shoe care thread. this guy tests venetian shoe cream versus saphir renovateur here:

http://imgur.com/a/EC8gN
Tristan, the unnamed blogger site you reference is comparing a 1-Step Venetian Product (Cleaner & Polisher all wrapped into one bottle for one-size-fit all approach) versus a half-baked effort at only using Saphir Renovateur without the remaining Saphir Products in the 3-step procedure!

Esquire's Magazine Nick Sullivan
Reviews the Saphir 3-Step Process:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/saphir-shoe-shine-021711

Esquire Magazine Print Edition
Delivered to you home for .55 cents/mo

The Esquire Magazine article was the first I read for a review.

Then I found the Style Forum for another great review here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/254268/polish-review-saphir-mdor-vs-jl-paris-vs-ae

(Maybe you can add yoru criticism to the above link also).

By the way, Tristan . . . as a photographer across the Bay - you have some great photographs on your web site. Would you do the other members the pleasure at posting some of your talent in the following thread topic?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/27508/post-your-photography-skills-self-gloss/3870

"Do what you love . . . and the money will follow."

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Just got my latest pair. A present to myself for passing the bar exam (1 of 2, actually. Also got myself a pair of Alden 975s). Shell Cordovan Graysons. I love saving money, but something about buying firsts from the store really feels good. I feel like a man knowing what I want and willing to pay the full price. Part of me also likes paying full price knowing that I am supporting workers' in Port Washington best work. Excited to wear this shoe and remember when and why I bought them.

David Copeland

Reaction score
You definitely should not wear the same pair two days in a row.
And that, my friend, is how my first purchase at Nordstroms went in 1999. Once I had picked a great pair of shoes - the apt sales professional suggested the same principle - and I aptly bought 4 pair at the same time - (the best $1000 I ever invested)

harlequin782

Reaction score
^^^ Why not try e-mailing him?

Thanks for the suggestion. Ive decided to just request the exchange through the retailer. I was under the impression that correspondence with Mr. Grangaard directly on this website wasnt necessarily out of the norm or in poor taste. But since it appears to be, it seems from my interaction with the retailer that I should have an answer shortly. Though I was dismissed by the Customer Service agent on the telephone and directed to contact the retailer, I have full faith that Allen Edmonds' stellar customer service will prevail at the retail level in yielding a response.

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cappuccino McAllisters are here!

No flash:

Flash:

Flash:

The toes (flash)

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick shell lineup:

Walnut shell Dalton, Cappuccino shell McAllister, Brown shell Strand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads