Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

There was a particular SA at the Madison ave Alden store. I inquired about his schedule so that I could continue to purchase items from him as he was very helpful. He told me not to worry about as they don't work on commission. I was pretty impressed as he really goes above and beyond to help.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

3. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

You are horrible lol. Within this last 2 wks I've ordered a pair of brown cliftons, snuff suede players, brown calf patriots... -the Clifton are too small so I need to sell but now I'm thinking of getting a pair of Burgundy Clifton. - how did you size on the patriots?

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I went TTS on the Patriot's and they are perfect. But I am different than many in that I am the same size (TTS) on the 1 and 5 last and creasing is perfect in both cases.

And not to add fuel to the fire but I agree with Pastor when he answered your question about the burgundy Clifton. Yes they are perfect for what you want and no more or no less effective than the brown, IMO anyhow.

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

whats the price on the shell patriot after the discount?

6. trig

trig Senior member

the salepeople are at work, trying on shoes is part of the job. they could possibly just be standing around if one wasn't there to try on shoes. I'm sure in general even if people are genuinely considering purchasing, they don't always buy instantly. That would just not be an informed purchase.

I personally do not feel comfortable going in just to try things on if I have to be helped, but sometimes it's easier to do an in-store sizing than to order online for the sole purpose of nailing down your size.

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

$359.20 + tax. And, they run TTS in my experience also.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

good to know, thank you!

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

$359 for those and most shell shoes. That is going to be a hard one to beat.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

If you live in a state that doesn't charge tax for shoes (like NJ), mention it to them. They should be able to exclude the tax from your order. They did for me.

11. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Member

I have the opportunity to snag my first pair of shell cordovan shoes (used on eBay), the only issue is they are 14B and I wear 14D on the 5-last. The uppers look great, but they might be ready for a recrafting. Does shell give enough that they would be able to stretch them over a 14D last, or would recrafting bring them back to a snug 14B?

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Recrafting will bring them back to a 14B. A 14D will likely be a no-go. They just won't have stretched that much.

I don't know what your budget is... but I'd recommend getting a new pair of seconds instead. Or, if these on ebay are cheap enough - get them, and worst case scenario you can flip them if they don't fit...

13. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

Trying to fill a hole in my shoe collection. I currently have:

AE Parkway - Brown burnished calf
    AE Fifth Ave - Walnut calf
    AE Cortland - Black calf
    AE Neumok - Snuff suede
    Florsheim - Royal Imperial brown pebble grain calf (these are my Macneils I guess until I can afford the burgundy shell - then they go on Ebay)

I was leaning toward the McAllister's in merlot/burgundy. I think that would be a pretty versatile shoe, but then again if I want Macneil's in the same color it might be unneeded. What about bourbon? Color wise it may not vary much from my Florsheim's, no?

Sorry, lots of questions but I just want to consider as many angles as possible.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Received my shell Patriot seconds this afternoon. Have to echo what everyone else has said regarding the shoe fitting like a slipper - wow!! My only hesitation is that the finish of the shoes is marred on both toes. It's slight enough that it is only visible in sunlight and pictures do not really show it. It looks like someone spilled something on the toes that ate through some of the finish. I'm thinking of keeping them and that a little Saphir brown cordovan polish might cover up the issue. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

Have this dark blotch on the top of my Bourbon Strand. I've tried Reno'Mat to remove the polish on there thinking it was just a bad polish job, then I tried Renovateur and some more Reno'Mat, then I added a new layer of Saphir cream polish, etc. but nothing worked. As soon as I applied any sort of product to it, it would immediately get very dark until the leather dried, and then it ends up just sort of dark. It doesn't resemble the burnishing on the rest of the shoe, so I don't think that's what it is (unless it's just a bad burnishing job). I just applied a coat of Walnut polish to the area to see if it would help even things out. This is what I ended up with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to minimize the problem? I know maybe no one else will notice during daily wear, but it's bothering the heck out of me. They're seconds, so I don't plan to return them -- I just want them to look their best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.