Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deladonis

Deladonis Member

Thanks a lot for your help. my size 14 is the largest issue. I see the the styles pop up from time to time. But they are size 9-10's that become available. Who are you speaking to at Allen Edmonds? I am told when I have called before that the styles I am looking for are discontinued and no longer available. Then they push some shoes that they think are simular. Size 14 is part of my problem. LIke people over size 12 wont want a stylish shoe. Thanks for your help.

2. texastom

texastom New Member

well in that case I am loving my first pair of AE... At almost 50% off :)

Park Avenue is next...

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    You offered some great feedback - and I thank you for it.

Perhaps the only way I can personally compare all of my calfskin AE shoes is to purchase my first Shell Cordovan and see how it wears and shines for me.

I am not a big fan of having my shoes in mirror shine (reminds me of fake patent leather too much) - but I will be experimenting with the 5-step Saphir process - with a limited amount of Saphir Wax as the final touch.

Otherwise, the look of my Allen Edmond shoes new out-of-the-box is a masked shine that I favor.

Below is a Chili color, I believe, of the Longbranch and Dalton. I was hoping to get the regular Walnut color that I hope to wear in casual dress in Montana - but am unsure how it would look in Shell Cordovan:

[​IMG]

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That isn't chili, it is brown. They recommend their dark brown polish for maintaining the color of those Long Branches.

5. David Copeland

Call 800-235-2348, choose Option 4 for Customer Service - and then tell the rep you are calling to see if a discontinued style is available as a second throughout their entire database of AE Stores. That's how I scored a 2011 style that was discontinued.

I would also suggest you speak to the Recrafting department and ask if they could recraft a used pair in a smaller size to a larger size 14 - depending on how much of a size difference. When I checked closed items, I saw many were size 12 and 13.

And - the link I gave you to all of the old catalogs - you may wish to view their current catalog to see if any of the older styles are being offered with minor revisions. (I am also told that the new Fall Catalog is available too)

6. MoneyWellSpent

That question has been asked before, and unfortunately the answer was no.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

You might email [email protected] and ask for a list of seconds and closeouts in your length/width. It is very tricky to find nice shoes in odd sizes (I'm a 14AA or 14AAA depending on the last; it is an intensely singular form of hell) but with patience, observation, friendly AE reps, and carefully-crafted saved eBay searches, you will find some excellent shoes out there.

8. David Copeland

Really?

Look at the following:

[​IMG]

compared to the following Chili on AE's site:

[​IMG]

9. MoneyWellSpent

The boots in the first picture are Long Branches, and that picture has existed longer than the Chili Daltons have been in production. The Long Branches come in either Dark Brown or Brown, and they come with two pairs of laces (red and brown). You can see the Vibram rubber lug sole in the pictured pair as well.

10. MoneyWellSpent

^^^ Also, the boots in the first picture have speed hooks (Long Branch). Dalton's don't have speed hooks.

11. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Really? I want to see this since Paul promised more suede options.

12. David Copeland

Oh I understand - but I was just inquiring because both pictures show leather color that looks the same - so much the same that the Longbranch color "looks" like the Chili in the Dalton picture.

Dark Brown = Chili?

13. MoneyWellSpent

No, they don't mix up their colors like that. It is strictly the lighting in the picture, and the picture is Brown. Perhaps this will help:

Brown Longbranch
    [​IMG]

Burnished Chili Walton
    [​IMG]

14. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

You have to remember that AE photography is terrible and rarely represents the product as it appears in person.

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

because we all know you can really very accurately determine the shoe color by how it looks on an online picture....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.