1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

2. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior Member

I just received Kenilworths off ebay, and I have two questions:

1) has anyone here noticed the weird lump under the ball of your foot? I saw someone posted a review on the AE website noting the same problem. Its almost like you can feel the shank or something

2) there is a crack on the back heel tab. Should I color it in with meltonian, or should I return the shoes? They were pretty cheap and are in spotless condition otherwise:

[​IMG]

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Distinguished Member

With chili and walnut, you have the brown/tan range covered. I am going to suggest the McAllister in Merlot - on sale now as a matter of fact.

Burgundy will give you a different color range to work with and it is very versatile. Wingtips are perfect for a dressy casual environment.

Chris

4. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd return them unless they were significantly cheaper than you can buy them for elsewhere.

That said, it wouldn't bother me much to wear them.

5. DerangedGoose

They were about 120 shipped, and a new pair on ebay would be 185 and Im seeing park avenues for a little more than that

6. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

Tough call. Keep in mind it won't be seen when standing and rarely otherwise.

7. DerangedGoose

Thats why I am on the fence. The whole bump under the sole is another strange matter entirely but doesnt feel all that uncomfortable and hopefully will go down with wear.

As far as the tears go, can anyone recommend a way to color in the exposed part?

8. mikeman

mikeman Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

9. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior Member

AE doesn't use shanks for one, but if the crack wasn't mentioned in the ebay listing, I'd return them.

10. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

My understanding is that they use a composite (Fiberglass?) shank, as opposed to a metal one, but they do use one.

I'm not 100% on this, just what I was told.

11. DerangedGoose

Assuming I paid around 130, and a new pair can be had for 180, how much is a decent partial refund to where I should consider keeping the shoes? Is this crack something that is likely to get worse?

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

They do not use shanks. They used them on their 270 degree welted Executive line, due to the nature of the construction, but when they quit making those, the shank went with them. They have never used shanks in their regular 360 degree welted shoes. Some people spot the fiber heel tuck that is located in the heel area of the cork cavity. This isn't a shank, it is there to provide a medium for the serrated nails to grip when they drive the nails in from the bottom up during heel base attachment. Most other Goodyear-welted shoes nail their heels on from the inside down (going through the heel area of the insole). That is one of the reasons that all other companies have 3/4 length heel cushioned sock-liners. They have to cover up and cushion your heel against the nail heads. This isn't necessary with AE due to the way they build their shoes.

13. MoneyWellSpent

If you use a shoe horn (which hopefully you are), then the crack will probably not spread due to it's location. It is in a part of the shoe that isn't flexing and stretching, and the heel area is reinforced with a celastic heel stiffener between the lining and leather upper. You can probably fill it in with some colored cream polish to match colors, and then use some wax polish to build up the surface some (depending on how deep it is).

On a side note, is that a Christmas tree in the background of the photo? Have you had these since Christmas without wearing them outdoors? I only ask because you can often return shoes that haven't been worn outside, but if you have been wearing them for several months I wouldn't think that returning them would even be an option.

14. DerangedGoose

Haha no, its actually an oversized set of mardi gras (purple green yellow) beads Ive had lying around for a while. I just received the shoes a couple days ago, they were bought as used shoes off ebay. The seller offered me a discount, I am just trying to decide how much I want to press them for or if I should just return them and go with new shoes

15. MoneyWellSpent

Ahh, that explains it. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.