• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pleasant AE story from the morn...

I went to Whole Foods this morning for breakfast before work and was approached by an elderly gentleman while putting sugar in my coffee.

'Pardon me, son, but what type of shoes are those?' was his question.

'Allen Edmonds', I said.

'Ah, an outstanding choice! I have a few pair of Allen Edmonds myself, one pair I'm sure is older than you. Did you know they will recraft them for you? Come out just like new.'

We spent a few minutes talking about the benefits if a quality shoe and told me it brought a great joy to him to see a young person taking the time to look presentable and care for his shoes properly. He was a WWII vet and I gladly listened to his war stories rather than read my book (The Grapes of Wrath) as intended.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the fine men in this thread for helping me gain the knowledge to be able to have an educated conversation with such a man.

I wish you all a pleasant weekend.

Fantastic story!

Pastor

Reaction score

How do you go about getting the shell patriots at that price?

The price was $299 and the store was having a 20% off sale. As of earlier this week the store only had smaller sizes left 6 & 6.5

They also will take 20% off the regular shell second price which brings those down to $359. This is still a great deal and I can't tell what the flaw is on my new shell patriots.

LeviMay

Reaction score

I went to Whole Foods this morning for breakfast before work and was approached by an elderly gentleman while putting sugar in my coffee.

'Allen Edmonds', I said.

'Ah, an outstanding choice! I have a few pair of Allen Edmonds myself, one pair I'm sure is older than you. Did you know they will recraft them for you? Come out just like new.'

We spent a few minutes talking about the benefits if a quality shoe and told me it brought a great joy to him to see a young person taking the time to look presentable and care for his shoes properly. He was a WWII vet and I gladly listened to his war stories rather than read my book (The Grapes of Wrath) as intended.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the fine men in this thread for helping me gain the knowledge to be able to have an educated conversation with such a man.

Thanks for that. Very nice first thing in the morning.

Dugan

Reaction score
Is the pricing of places like Amazon dictated by AE sales or to they just adjust prices on their own to compete?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RIght after Mr. Grangaards email offering a deal on MTO I emailed him about getting a custom longwing in a lighter colored shell. We had a nice back and forth email re: my collection of AE's. On Monday I got a call from his team and we discussed some options. Yesterday I received samples of the shell walnut and shell cappuccino. My initial thought was to get the Macneil in shell walnut cordovan, with a double reverse welt sole. Although, there is the William Williams and Larchmont that intrigue me also. I currently own the Williams in black custom calf, but do not have a pair of Macneils. What is the opinion of the loyal SF readers. Is the Macneil the best way to go, or should I consider a different style? My concern is that since the Macneil is made in cordovan already, in 2 colors, that is may come available at some point in the future in other colors as those colors become available... and my MTO might be a commons shoe. But, if I go with the Larchmont or Williams, I will truly have a shoe that is basically a one of a kind. Thoughts everyone???

For overall design of a LWB, I prefer the MacNeil to the Larchmont or Williams. For me it's not even close.

sungmineyo

Reaction score

'Allen Edmonds', I said.

Great story! I have similar experience when I was wearing Alden cordovan.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McAllister Bourbon maiden voyage in the wild:

Got them direct from AE, taking advantage of their current sales. Was debating betweeb Bourbon and Walnut but decided that I probably could get a Walnut pair any time.

Last edited:

csc67

Reaction score
In reference to rollinsay post: Make sure they fit before taking them outside or polishing them - Wearing them for several minutes in a store is different than wearing / walking for hours - I would suggest wearing them inside on the carpet and just having them on while watching tv to check fit- Good luck

Last edited:

rollinsay

Reaction score
In reference to rollinsay post: Make sure they fit before taking them outside or polishing them - Wearing them for several minutes in a store is different than wearing / walking for hours - I would suggest wearing them inside on the carpet and just having them on while watching tv to check fit- Good luck

Thanks! Going to order today

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold Iron-
1. What size are you?
2. Can you add me to your Final Will and Testament as the custodian of your shoe collection?

'Allen Edmonds', I said.

Brown Fifth Street today for air travel. I like this simple boot alot!

]
Those look outstanding! Very nice job on the toe cap, I like it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads