Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Anyone have an ETA on any of the new models?

2. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

Hello all,

I'm on the verge of purchasing my first pair of Allen Edmonds - a pair of the Bourbon McAllisters. Naturally I am incredibly excited. I was hoping for some advice from you all regarding what I should do once I get them. Are there any key first steps in care that I should take before starting to wear them regularly?

Thanks!

3. Veridis

Veridis Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie as well. Polish it before you wear it outside, so there's some protection from accidental scratches. Use shoe trees when not wearing them.

Are you getting the one with the combination sole? I'm considering getting the merlot McAllisters.. Already have the strands in walnut.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I always apply Allen Edmonds Conditioner / Cleaner, let them sit a day, then apply Allen Edmonds polish before wearing.

And if your feet are not in the shoes, cedar shoe trees should be in them.

Chris

5. calidist

calidist Senior member

I usually brush them, apply some conditioner, and then brush them again before hitting the pavement.

6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Since you mention it, that toe box is distinctly W1K-esque. I wonder if they were, in fact, allowed to use the last for their own shoes. Don't like the football grain (though if they are sourcing it from Horween that's pretty neat) personally.

7. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Exact same location. Looks like someone was having a bad day on the shop floor. Worse than the scar, they are just too big. That 5 last really forces me down to a 10.5 from my normal 11. I think I might chose a different style...still want to get some shell Leeds!

8. htjouster

htjouster Active Member

Looks like Amazon is currently matching the Anniversary Sale $250 price on merlot McAllister firsts (although other colors seem to be full price and not every size is available). You can also get a 20% off code if you sign up for their shoe emails, which brings the price down to $199. Boca Raton is also on sale for $219, which brings it to $175 if you use the 20% off code.

9. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

Yeah, going for the ones with the combination sole. Where I'll be wearing them the additional rubber sole isn't a bad thing. Was between this and the Strands in Walnut, and chose these as I really wanted the wingtip look more. I certainly have some plans to acquire the Walnut Strands in the future, though.

Any recommendations on polish color for the bourbon finish?

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Because they are boots to me from a logic standpoint it is not a EITHER OR statement but an AND statement. However the Bayfield in shell will be an unknown in fit where the Dalton is a very well established known. And as to the brown shell, great choice and no debate needed from me. I love my exotic light colored shell but have had to add a lot of lighter colored clothes to match over the last couple of years. I feel both boots are great choices. Looking down the road when I retire certainly see myself wearing the captoes more than the wingtips however. And I have a lot of wingips and adding another soon. But in the end feel it is which ever style you like best and suits your style the best.
    Dalton Walnut Shell:
    [​IMG]
    CXL Bayfield with Brown Shell Townley:
    [​IMG]

Black Calf Bayfield:
    [​IMG]

So in the end which ever one you like best. Or the Dalton AND Bayfield(s) ;-)
    If you want them bad enough it wouldn't hurt to ask. Did you know that you can still get CXL Bayfields through Lands End? They only have D width but if your a C they would certainly work. IMO an E would not however.

11. njruss

njruss Senior member

Thank you for that! I just ordered a pair, $199.92 with free shipping!!

12. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Cold Iron-
    1. What size are you?
    2. Can you add me to your Final Will and Testament as the custodian of your shoe collection?

13. MakingChanges

MakingChanges Well-Known Member

Thank you! Just order the Boca Raton and the Amoks with this deal. Really appreciate it.

14. Deladonis

Deladonis Member

T
    The one in the middle of the wholecuts is a Manhattan. It's a real nice cut 7 Last if I remember correctly. I still want more AE wholecuts. They are timeless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.