Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calidist

calidist Senior member

I'm anxiously awaiting my black Regents. I'm curious about the padded heel. Is it similar to Alden's padded heel (which I very much enjoy)?

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Just took a look at the Chili Regents. How does the box toe feel, any issues with that? Also, how does the sizing compare to other AE shoes you have. Thanks.

3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

As far as I know. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have them in merlot, and the leather looks identical to my merlot McAllisters.

4. seer

seer Senior member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

5. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Hi. I apologize if you took offense, but my comments weren't against anyone here at all and I am genuinely sorry if my language was out of bounds. I probably didn't express myself clearly. The b/g comment makers was in reference to the people that make the same moronic comments about "going bowling?" or "just come the golf course" every time you that you wear non-plain shoes. I hear these stupid comments all the time, even when wearing Strands. My point was that the OP shouldn't be too concerned about derogatory comments about his shoes as it is a reflection of the person making the comments, not the wearer.

Just the fact that he "REALLY likes" the blue shoes would tend to indicate that fitting into the norm is not his highest priority in life. There will always be the "quirky" people out that don't conform to every norm, but that's why AE does make purple and also blue saddle shoes. For some of us, it's not a trend, it's how we are wired. Perhaps, I shouldn't have resorted to the language that I did, but I was speaking from my own personal experience. He shouldn't let others set the guidelines as to what shoes make him happy. If his shoes genuinely would get him into trouble in the workplace, then by all my means do not wear those. But if I think back to my schooling days, I enjoyed the somewhat more eclectic teachers much more so than those who just followed the norm. There's room on this planet for those that abide by all the norms as well as those who don't. Again, I apologize if I caused you offense as I didn't mean to do so against anyone in SF. (except possibly MH)

6. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris and Macktastic for the advice. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my new Regent Streets today or tomorrow.

Scottyboy: I haven't received my Regent Streets yet, but I imagine the toe box would be similar to the MacNeil (the Regent's 4 last is supposed to be based off of the McNeil's 7 last). I think the only difference is that the Regent Street is a little more squared off than the MacNeil, but I think that is more of a styling issue, and doesn't effect the toe box that greatly (I may be wrong though).

In other words, with Park Aves and other 5 last shoes, I am a 14E. With the Regent Streets, I decided to go with a 14D because the 4 lasts are wider.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

No offense taken, I just wanted to understand what you were trying to say. I agree with everything you just said. What a person is initially drawn to is often representative of their personal style, and if he really likes them, and can wear them in his environment, more power to them. There is plenty of room for non-traditional shoes in an academic environment.

8. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Ylkim- Thank you for your input, great information.

I have been sized as a 11.5D in the Macneils, I'm thinking I will go with that for the Regents.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

MTO brown shell Dalton or Bayfield? Discuss. Debate.

10. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

Can anyone speak to the difference in versatility between a suede and calf skin upper? I know suede is inherently more casual but in a loafer do you think it is just as versatile as calf? I'm asking because I'm in the market for loafers but am torn between the two styles.

11. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Yes. What's to discuss?

In all seriousness though, I'm usually more fond of a captoe boot, not a WT. My vote would actually be for Bayfield... Or even Fifth street, if that's possible.

12. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

I'm a little unclear - has been established from AE that they will MTO the Bayfield for us as part of the SF deal? Since it's discontinued and all...

Because it really is the perfect PacNW boot, especially in CXL, though I'd prefer no speedhooks...

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

14. lakerz4sho

lakerz4sho Member

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I'm with you. There's plenty of opportunity down the road to add a more conservative shoe to compliment the webgem, but these are a here-amd-now opportunity and they are freaking cool. I'd rather buy a shoe a love rather than settle for one I like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.