Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Awesome. Thanks again frogwash. While we've got the CEO's attention with this thread, we should see about getting you on his payroll [​IMG]

2. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

Do you mind sharing (even over PM?) what color polish you use for your Walnut Strands? I have Cognac and Mahogany Saphir cream and neither really match all that well IMO.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The MTO as of the last few years is under custom shoes and you normally pay an extra fee for it. The fact that Paul opened it up to other shoes and options to us without paying a fee shows his dedication to customer satisfaction. MTO is an exception to your business processes in manufacturing or anywhere else for that matter. It is something that you normally try to avoid because it interferes with productivity. Your people (labor) are normally the most expensive part of the manufacturing process so to have them take the time to make custom anything cost money, which is what the additional fee is for. To help offset that cost.

Email Paul directly and like he said he put together a SWAT team to handle the requests. Although it is more like a SEAL team with the best of the best. They will call you and the person that called me is the same one that called me last July. She is a walking knowledge base with many years of experience. Her first thought was JR soles would be best and I also like them, they wear like iron. However she did say that it can be done with other soles and I am thinking butyl which she suggested after talking about sole options and my intended use. The picture I found of shell Bayfields had the original soles that come on calf and CXL Bayfields:

[​IMG]
    And I had planned on getting mine done like that with the original soles. Both my CXL and calf Bayfields fit snug and after talking to her she thinks it is because the original soles have a little bit of padding in the footbed which makes it tighter across the ball of the foot. I will likely go up one size in width like bucksfan did with his CXL bayfields. Last year she explained to me the reason the Malverin were too tight for me is due to them having memory foam in the footbed. After talking to her she will send a sample of the shell available to have your boot and\or shoe made from with an invoice. Once you receive your sample you call and place your order and pay then. Good luck and of course post pictures once you get them!

4. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Interested in a pair of Lombards. Is it any different from the Player's shoe, other than color and the sole? The Player's shoe fits me well, and I think a rubber soled version for bad weather would be great.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

So which is it, novice or expert on shell cordovan dye techniques (from reading a thread in AAAC). Keep asking questions, I truly think others who read your posts and watch your shoe care videos may be better served without your expert advice. Note, you posted that "novice comment" less than 24 hrs ago.

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Don't be such a hater.

No one said I am an expert, including me. In fact, as you noted, I said the opposite.

This does not exclude me from having some experience and opinion, and sharing them. You don't have to read them nor believe them, but one need not be an expert to have them.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I have both. The fit between the 2 is identical for me (both in calf). The only difference seems to be the rubber sole vs. the leather sole. The Lombards are great for bad weather. I'm not sure if they are still making them, so your best bet is probably to call one of the outlets and see if they have any on clearance.

8. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Thanks. The Lombards are full grain, I assume?

9. MarcusJY

MarcusJY Member

This is exactly how I think. Especially with me being a 14EEE, I always grab what will be hardest to find later, first. I only have 4 pair of AE right now and 2 of them are the White Players and the custom Nuemok webgem from a couple months ago. I got both pair because I knew they would be hard to come by or more expensive to get later.

10. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

I just tried buying a pair of these Kirbys. AE diverted me to a site called Bongo International, which apparently handles all their non-US shipping.
    Suddenly up popped the following message...
    Is this normal?
    Is it because it's a Webgem?
    Are they for the US market only?

11. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I just received the shoes today. They are a fantastic looking shoe
    and definitely narrower. The right shoe fits perfectly but the left is
    a bit snug in the ball of the foot.

I've read a lot about bowing on the thread, however never was
    concerned since I've never received a pair of shoes that have done
    this. However I thing these players have a bit of that problem. I'm
    wondering if I should try another pair out if they have them or if it is
    just my foot and the 2 last combination that is not playing well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thx, its first voyage out and it rain a little here in Austin lol but I
    received tons of compliments on them :)

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I would use the polish on the entire shoe - it is all leather and the grain/smooth finish should affect the end result.

BTW - the chili Regent Street is a great looking shoe.

Chris

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

This thread seems to have taken a turn towards the less gentlemanly side of conversation lately, or just flat out rude in many cases. Perhaps the back and forth with Mediahound's posting has brought some of this out. I'm not sure what "b/g comment makers" stands for, but as someone who recommended a more conservative route, your comment caught my attention. I can assure you that the advice given by most of those who responded has absolutely nothing to do with "having the balls to wear nifty footwear" or jealousy. That is flawed logic. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences, and thus, many don't lean towards the look that those shoes present for their style. Using your logic I could just as easily say "wear cowboy boots to your first day on the job if you have the balls." Style is a spectrum. In this thread alone, there are those wearing all of the most "nifty" footwear made by AE to those wearing only the most formal, to those who fall in between by adding colored laces to the traditional styles. I can usually appreciate anyone's style as long as it fits and doesn't look forced or uncomfortable.

Please, don't assume that just because people advised against something, they must be jealous or don't have the balls to do it. That's a nonconformist mindset that incorrectly assumes that people who enjoy a style that happens to be "traditional" are inherently wrong or somehow bound by some invisible force that they can't break free from. Sure, there are definitely people who follow all the rules simply because they are afraid of ridicule, and that's not a good mindset to have. However, it's just as true that many people who dress loudly or flashy simply to "look like an idividual" are just as deceived. It's hilarious to me to see people who consider themselves to be showing their "individuality" through their dress hanging out in a group of other people that are dressed the same way. Oh the irony. But, there is nothing new under the sun.

By all means, the OP should purchase the shoes that he thinks he will enjoy the most, get the most use from, the best value for his money, etc. For some, that may be a pair of black Park Avenues, and for some that may be a pair of leather Rainbow flip-flops. Everyone's profession and work sub-culture is different and decisions have to be made to adjust to them accordingly.

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That's a good question. For what it's worth, I haven't heard of any bowing issues with the 2-last. However, there are many who feel that the 2-last doesn't fit them well. In fact, it seems to be the most frequently complained about from my memory. If it's easy for you to try another pair, I'd say take a shot, but be open to the possibility that it is just the way that last fits you.

15. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I just got a tube of the Chili premium polish last week and used it on my Chili grain MacNeils, which is entirely grained calf, and I thought it worked very well.

I've seen the Chili Regent Street in person and agree that it's a great looking shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.